I went to start a thread about refugees and asylum seekers last night but...

j*oono
Community Member

I copied some photos last night and I wanted to post them here but I thought better of it because they are very distressing.

Is it time for Tony Abbott, Dutton and Chris Morrison to look into their hearts?

Turn back the boats to what?  Stop the boats for what reason?  I have no doubt that they have seen these photos of a young 3yr old boy washed up on the beach and his slightly older brother and his mother drowned too.

Joono
Message 1 of 800
Latest reply
799 REPLIES 799

Re: I went to start a thread about refugees and asylum seekers last night but...

From today's news

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-05/ive-paid-highest-price-father-of-syrian-boy-buries-family/6752...

Kobane was the scene of fierce fighting between Kurdish militias and Islamic State (IS) jihadists for control of northern Syria in the country's civil war.Kurdish forces ousted IS from the town after a months-long struggle in January.

Mr Kurdi's family was displaced several times inside Syria and had returned to Kobane in June in hopes of settling there. But IS fighters re-entered the town, holding hostages in several buildings in a two-day stand-off that left more than 200 civilians dead.

The family then decided to try to reach Europe via Turkey, Ebdi said.

After a month of saving up and borrowing from relatives, the family of four boarded a tiny inflatable boat with dozens of other refugees to try to reach the island of Kos.

In a harrowing tale of how the boat capsized, a tearful Mr Kurdi said his children "slipped through my hands".

Millions of Syrians have been displaced internally since Syria's conflict began in 2011, and more than 4 million have been forced to flee the country.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 151 of 800
Latest reply

Re: I went to start a thread about refugees and asylum seekers last night but...

Wow.  4 million people.

Joono
Message 152 of 800
Latest reply

The magnitude is quite staggering. It makes our intake quota seem so inadequate, doesn't it?

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 153 of 800
Latest reply

What intake are you taking about
Do you live in a bubble
Or on a cattle station
Go for a walk through the cbd of any capital city
There's your intake
They are everywhere
How many Million refugees do you think we have
Taken into this country in the last twenty years
Message 154 of 800
Latest reply

@*julia*2010 wrote:

kobane needs help

Appeal: Call for international aid to rebuild and normalize life in the canton of Kobane

After months of fighting, our brave YPG and YPJ units have successfully driven out all ISIS terrorists from our democratic canton of Kobane. We are grateful for all the international support that we have received to achieve this victory in battle. However, as of yet, we have received no official humanitarian aid from any government or international organization. Out of the 525,000 civilians from the Kobane canton, only 25,000 currently reside within Kobane. Of the remaining civilians, 200,000 are currently trapped in Turkey and the rest have spread to different countries. They are all waiting to return to their homes. In order to facilitate the smooth transition of refugees back to their rightful homes, there are a number of obstacles that must be overcome.

http://helpkobane.com/blog/2015/02/14/a-call-for-international-aid-to-rebuild-and-normalize-life-in-...

one of our politicians had the idea of dropping food parcels into Syria instead of bombs maybe it wasn't such a bad idea after all

Message 155 of 800
Latest reply

@bluecat*stopsdancing wrote:

The magnitude is quite staggering. It makes our intake quota seem so inadequate, doesn't it?

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, just this last page.

World condemnation should be applied to the five wealthiest Middle Eastern countries that take zero Syrian refugees.

I agree with Debra. If the majority of these people want to return home, humanitarian aid and support in the region is what is needed (having read Julia's post as quoted by Debra).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 156 of 800
Latest reply

I followed a link this morning Amber and it seems as though it is the low income countries that take in the most refugees per number of residents and the rich countries take the least per number of residents.

There is a good graphic on this page by the Refugee Council of Australia which shows as much.

In Lebanon they take one refugee per 6 residents.  

http://www.refugeecouncil.org.au/latest/correcting-the-record-australias-response-to-refugee/

SMH-interactive.jpg

Joono
Message 157 of 800
Latest reply