Internet speeds: Australia ranks 44th

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-12/australian-internet-speeds-rank-44th-in-the-world/6012570

A US study has delivered an unwelcome finding about Australian internet speeds, finding that they are well behind the international pack.

One engineering expert said the nation would continue to tumble down in world rankings if the rollout of the National Broadband Network (NBN) continues in its current form.

....Australia's relative decline was because many other countries were moving forward apace with new and upgraded networks.

"The drop is happening because a lot of other countries over this period are moving towards fibre-based access networks, or they've already completed rollouts of what we would call the multi-technology mixing/mixed networks...."

"Whatever way you look at it, what it means is that the average speeds that Australians are enjoying are slowly becoming less than most of our competitors around the world."

Copper-based network slowing Australia down: expert

Federal Government's decision to switch from fibre-to-the-home to a mixed fibre/copper network was part of the reason for the decline.

"One of the reasons is that we're falling down the list [is] that we're moving towards utilising a copper-based access network," he said.

"Whereas previously, under the Labor government, we were moving towards an all fibre-based network, which is what most of our competitors are now doing.........

We all know this!!!!!

"The key difference between New Zealand and Australia is that New Zealand made the decision to do fibre-to-the-premise, they've stuck with that decision," he said.

Even though Australia is much larger geographically, Dr Gregory said fibre-to-the-home should be financially viable for a network to cover the vast bulk of the population.

"Fibre-to-the-premise is viable in Australia, mainly because most Australians are clustered around the coast," he said.

"If you look at the density of Australians, then really we don't differ very much from most other countries in the world, we're just a large country, but with the technologies that we've got today to actually roll out fibre systems, the cost is not that different from most other countries in the world."

Average connection speed by country

1. South Korea

2. Hong Kong

3. Japan

4. Switzerland

5. Sweden

6. Netherlands

7. Ireland

8. Latvia

9. Czech Republic

10. Singapore

44. Australia

Source: Akamai's State of the Internet Report

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MALCOLM TURNBULL AND THE LNP/COALITION ???

Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Internet speeds: Australia ranks 44th

@daydream**believer wrote:

try living with my internet.

From approx 2pm everyday, it drops out every 5 -10min.

At approx 7:30pm every night, it stops working completely until about 9am

When it is working, the speed is so slow it can take 10min to open my fb page.

When the phone rings, it drops out

If i go to make a call on the phone, it drops out.

If it rains, it drops out.

If its too hot, it drops out

I pay $50.00 a month for my internet with iinet. iinet are doing everything possible to fix my issue but the problem is the telstra internet cables in my street. One telstra techy told me they are the worst hes ever seen. But telstra wont fix them cause the NBN rollout might happen in the next 5 - 10 years 

Why did they start the NBN build?  Because Telstra said the copper network was at 5 minutes to midnight 15-20 years ago  (one reason of many)  Telstra wanted money from gov to build fibre long before the NBN FTTP plan.  Telstra were not "fixing" the broadband issues long before NBN started because they are only obligated to offer phone quality services.

Message 41 of 55
Latest reply

You'll pick on Paints again (really it's time to let it go)  but not comment about the lousy speednet test I posted which clearly shows an inadequate upload speed, and download too.  

Message 42 of 55
Latest reply

@gleee58 wrote:

I pay $50.00 a month for my internet with iinet. iinet are doing everything possible to fix my issue but the problem is the telstra internet cables in my street. One telstra techy told me they are the worst hes ever seen. But telstra wont fix them cause the NBN rollout might happen in the next 5 - 10 years 

Why did they start the NBN build?  Because Telstra said the copper network was at 5 minutes to midnight 15-20 years ago  (one reason of many)  Telstra wanted money from gov to build fibre long before the NBN FTTP plan.  Telstra were not "fixing" the broadband issues long before NBN started because they are only obligated to offer phone quality services.

telstra is now a private company. why should they need to provide public phine boxes and the line to your home?

ask optus, vodaphone virgin etc to provide the same service

Message 43 of 55
Latest reply

Propogation over copper in vacuum in a tst lab environment is not relevant to using fibre in the comms network.  What guages are the copper wires in Australia?  What guage was the copepr wire used in the hish speed data transfer tests? and over what distance can they get the speed over 100Mbps?

Message 44 of 55
Latest reply

@*mrgrizz* wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:

telstra is now a private company. why should they need to provide public phine boxes and the line to your home?

ask optus, vodaphone virgin etc to provide the same service

Because the Govt pays Telstra to guarantee that everyone who wants a phone connection can get one.  If not copper, fixed wireless or mobile wireless at fixed rates.   That contract either runs out soon or has recently expired, not sure what the new deal is.  

Telstra owns the copper network that the others use to provide their services over.  That's why the NBN was wholesale only so all companies had equal access to the infrastructure for a price and the NBN can't compete in the retail market because they are not a retail provider.

Message 45 of 55
Latest reply

@monman12 wrote:

G58  research apropos propagation within copper and optic fibre, because  it would seem that you misunderstand the term.

Here are some relevant figures apropos PROPAGATION within  Cat5e cable,  300 ohm twin cable, and  optic fibre:

A pulse sent down 100' of RG58 will have 154,045pS delay, FSJ1 will have a 130,346pS delay, Fibre will have a 149,515pS delay  (pS = picosecond)

Meaning,  PROPAGATION is faster in twin-lead  which has a typical propagation speed of 0.82 c.

As POD says "The shrill cacophony is more about political agenda than the Internet." Just look at the tone, content and IDs of those involved within  this debate!

Myopic Tongues2 Small.jpg

We all know the basic prinipals of electricity and the speed of light.

What you haven't considered is ATTENUATION and this is what effects line speed as distance increases and the quality of the line that Telstra hasnt maintained over the last 50 years comes in to play.

Message 46 of 55
Latest reply

@gleee58 wrote:

Propogation over copper in vacuum in a tst lab environment is not relevant to using fibre in the comms network.  What guages are the copper wires in Australia?  What guage was the copepr wire used in the hish speed data transfer tests? and over what distance can they get the speed over 100Mbps?

Once again you have not read or comprehended what I have stated. I didn't mention copper in a vacuum.
I was station the propagation speed which is around 0.66 the speed of light in a vacuum.

In fact the smaller the gauge of the conductor the faster the propagation speed.

I have tested the data transfer speed over 500 meters of cat 5e and it came up with 886Mbps and that was with 3 RJ 45 couplers between the 5 spools of cable. I would have liked to test 1 km but i deid not have that many spools, I am confident the it would have topped at well over 500Mbps over that distance.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 47 of 55
Latest reply

Most have jumped on the band waggon saying it is because of copper but the do not know that the propagation in copper is the same as optic fibre.

I wasnt going to reply but this gem struck me and I couldnt leave it.

But if you knew the basic principles of  conductance as compared to the speed of light why did you say the above?

Are you perchance disputing that the propagation in a copper conductor and in optic fibre are about equal?

Were you looking for some brownie points? 🙂

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 48 of 55
Latest reply

If copper is so great how come my phoneline is shyte atm.....and i/net is pretty well fried re. connectivity AND speed??

HUH?

.....the 'system' cannot cope, the copper is overloaded that's why Dr Morse LOL Smiley LOL

Where's the optic fibres?

Message 49 of 55
Latest reply

@poddster wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:

Once again you have not read or comprehended what I have stated. I didn't mention copper in a vacuum.
I was station the propagation speed which is around 0.66 the speed of light in a vacuum.

In fact the smaller the gauge of the conductor the faster the propagation speed.

I have tested the data transfer speed over 500 meters of cat 5e and it came up with 886Mbps and that was with 3 RJ 45 couplers between the 5 spools of cable. I would have liked to test 1 km but i deid not have that many spools, I am confident the it would have topped at well over 500Mbps over that distance.

You keep harping on about a single point which is irrelevant in the big plan.  There are a multitude of reasons for the Quigley build design, to which FTTN will add extreme long term extra costs, and which will destroy the projected returns and the network's value.

There are some infrastructure projects that bring enough value to every sector of the community (which is the country) to justify the long term vision, investment and action.  The NBN was one of those.   

Mike Quigley was just some Aussie guy who was paying Aussie back for his free education.  He wasn't interested in the politics, just the network architecture, design, functionality and future proof potential.  Yes, I know nothing is totally future proof, blah, blah, blah... 50 years or so...

Message 50 of 55
Latest reply