Internet speeds: Australia ranks 44th

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-12/australian-internet-speeds-rank-44th-in-the-world/6012570

A US study has delivered an unwelcome finding about Australian internet speeds, finding that they are well behind the international pack.

One engineering expert said the nation would continue to tumble down in world rankings if the rollout of the National Broadband Network (NBN) continues in its current form.

....Australia's relative decline was because many other countries were moving forward apace with new and upgraded networks.

"The drop is happening because a lot of other countries over this period are moving towards fibre-based access networks, or they've already completed rollouts of what we would call the multi-technology mixing/mixed networks...."

"Whatever way you look at it, what it means is that the average speeds that Australians are enjoying are slowly becoming less than most of our competitors around the world."

Copper-based network slowing Australia down: expert

Federal Government's decision to switch from fibre-to-the-home to a mixed fibre/copper network was part of the reason for the decline.

"One of the reasons is that we're falling down the list [is] that we're moving towards utilising a copper-based access network," he said.

"Whereas previously, under the Labor government, we were moving towards an all fibre-based network, which is what most of our competitors are now doing.........

We all know this!!!!!

"The key difference between New Zealand and Australia is that New Zealand made the decision to do fibre-to-the-premise, they've stuck with that decision," he said.

Even though Australia is much larger geographically, Dr Gregory said fibre-to-the-home should be financially viable for a network to cover the vast bulk of the population.

"Fibre-to-the-premise is viable in Australia, mainly because most Australians are clustered around the coast," he said.

"If you look at the density of Australians, then really we don't differ very much from most other countries in the world, we're just a large country, but with the technologies that we've got today to actually roll out fibre systems, the cost is not that different from most other countries in the world."

Average connection speed by country

1. South Korea

2. Hong Kong

3. Japan

4. Switzerland

5. Sweden

6. Netherlands

7. Ireland

8. Latvia

9. Czech Republic

10. Singapore

44. Australia

Source: Akamai's State of the Internet Report

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MALCOLM TURNBULL AND THE LNP/COALITION ???

Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
10 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

.....This Govt using the untrue excuse that $$$$'s are a problem is a BIG. FAT. LIE.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 55
Latest reply

You don't have a monopoly on knowledge. What's more you don't appear to have a good grasp of or open mind to, the endless potential of new technologies.

Message 18 of 55
Latest reply

Thats good Rosie compared to what most here have.

Plods I think you missed the fact that the OPs complaint is about the  pathetic standard of service we suffer here not how much they know about the tech knowledgy involved.

No one needs to know the ins and outs to know we are way way behind the rest of the world and Telstra and the government are to blame for failing to maintain and invest in the infrastructure

Message 20 of 55
Latest reply

@poddster wrote:

Most have jumped on the band waggon saying it is because of copper but the do not know that the propagation in copper is the same as optic fibre.

I wasnt going to reply but this gem struck me and I couldnt leave it.

Now perhaps after making that statement you can explain to all the boys and girls why our internet is so far behind others if propagation in copper is the same as optic fibre.

and why so many that live in the metro areas cant get ADSL via wire

Message 24 of 55
Latest reply

@poddster wrote:

It is like I stated Hawk, the complaints come thick and fast all because some ill informed person made a promise of something that could not be delivered and had no intention of being delivered. Now people fee deprived because of that promise because most don't have a clue about what it takes to deliver that false promise.

Silly comparisons are made to other countries without taking int account all the other neglected variables that contribute to internet data transfer speed. the biggest of those is the area that has to be covered.

How on earth can you compare Australia to South Korea, Hong Kong and Andora for example.

The shrill cacophony is more about political agenda than the Internet.

Most have jumped on the band waggon saying it is because of copper but the do not know that the propagation in copper is the same as optic fibre.

You mean like your silly and irrelevant comment that copper propogation is the same in copper is the same as optic fibre.  

The thin early 1900's copper we have is not up to providing the broadband standard demanded by the technology of the 21st century.

Message 25 of 55
Latest reply

try living with my internet.

From approx 2pm everyday, it drops out every 5 -10min.

At approx 7:30pm every night, it stops working completely until about 9am

When it is working, the speed is so slow it can take 10min to open my fb page.

When the phone rings, it drops out

If i go to make a call on the phone, it drops out.

If it rains, it drops out.

If its too hot, it drops out

I pay $50.00 a month for my internet with iinet. iinet are doing everything possible to fix my issue but the problem is the telstra internet cables in my street. One telstra techy told me they are the worst hes ever seen. But telstra wont fix them cause the NBN rollout might happen in the next 5 - 10 years 

photo walkingdeadtag_zpsbaca2fdd.jpg

Message 31 of 55
Latest reply

@poddster wrote:

Nowhere have I stated that a solid reliable comms network is not needed.

And you have missed the point of the propagation speed in copper versus optic fibre. That was to illustrate that the speed of copper as a medium is the same as optic fibre. just to puncture the overinflated claim that copper is "slow", it isn't.

Both copper and fibre have advantages as well ad disadvantages. To illustrate. an existing copper net work is far superior to a nonexistent fibre network.

As far as the general household is concerned FTTN is more than enough as is 25Mbps Fixed wireless.

The shrill demand that the current government deliver an undeliverable false promise is pure political hoo haa.

The ill informed, gullible populace has swallowed the clap trap hook, line and sinker.

You haven't been following the saga if that's what you think.,  The FTTN is up to 25Mbps and fixed wireless is only available and optimal in not densly populated areas.  

It sounds like you've fallen for the BS hook, line and sinker if you think the FTTP network wasn't being delivered because it was.  The transit network was mostly completed, about half (or more) of the POIs have been completed and there are thousands of premises connected.  NBN Co is bragging about how good it is now and what they're bragging about is all Quigley designed and commenced.

You're calling millions of people around the world ill informed and gullible when the reality is you hate it because Labor had the courage to do it after the Libs faffed about for years and did nothing.

Message 40 of 55
Latest reply

@daydream**believer wrote:

I pay $50.00 a month for my internet with iinet. iinet are doing everything possible to fix my issue but the problem is the telstra internet cables in my street. One telstra techy told me they are the worst hes ever seen. But telstra wont fix them cause the NBN rollout might happen in the next 5 - 10 years 

Why did they start the NBN build?  Because Telstra said the copper network was at 5 minutes to midnight 15-20 years ago  (one reason of many)  Telstra wanted money from gov to build fibre long before the NBN FTTP plan.  Telstra were not "fixing" the broadband issues long before NBN started because they are only obligated to offer phone quality services.

Message 41 of 55
Latest reply

@*mrgrizz* wrote:

@gleee58 wrote:

@daydream**believer wrote:

Why did they start the NBN build?  Because Telstra said the copper network was at 5 minutes to midnight 15-20 years ago  (one reason of many)  Telstra wanted money from gov to build fibre long before the NBN FTTP plan.  Telstra were not "fixing" the broadband issues long before NBN started because they are only obligated to offer phone quality services.

telstra is now a private company. why should they need to provide public phine boxes and the line to your home?

ask optus, vodaphone virgin etc to provide the same service

Because the Govt pays Telstra to guarantee that everyone who wants a phone connection can get one.  If not copper, fixed wireless or mobile wireless at fixed rates.   That contract either runs out soon or has recently expired, not sure what the new deal is.  

Telstra owns the copper network that the others use to provide their services over.  That's why the NBN was wholesale only so all companies had equal access to the infrastructure for a price and the NBN can't compete in the retail market because they are not a retail provider.

Message 45 of 55
Latest reply

@monman12 wrote:

G58  research apropos propagation within copper and optic fibre, because  it would seem that you misunderstand the term.

Here are some relevant figures apropos PROPAGATION within  Cat5e cable,  300 ohm twin cable, and  optic fibre:

A pulse sent down 100' of RG58 will have 154,045pS delay, FSJ1 will have a 130,346pS delay, Fibre will have a 149,515pS delay  (pS = picosecond)

Meaning,  PROPAGATION is faster in twin-lead  which has a typical propagation speed of 0.82 c.

As POD says "The shrill cacophony is more about political agenda than the Internet." Just look at the tone, content and IDs of those involved within  this debate!

Myopic Tongues2 Small.jpg

We all know the basic prinipals of electricity and the speed of light.

What you haven't considered is ATTENUATION and this is what effects line speed as distance increases and the quality of the line that Telstra hasnt maintained over the last 50 years comes in to play.

Message 46 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

http://www.choice.com.au/media-and-news/consumer-news/news/australian-internet-speeds-drop-in-global...

"Australian internet speed ranks 44th in world" - Choice, 15 Jan 2015

Message 2 of 55
Latest reply

Message 3 of 55
Latest reply

........"For many other countries around the world.........

........moving towards gigabit broadband now and that is super-fast broadband under the new definitions."

Message 4 of 55
Latest reply

.....This Govt using the untrue excuse that $$$$'s are a problem is a BIG. FAT. LIE.

Message 5 of 55
Latest reply

Server 'overcrowding' causes ERROR 524 messages (and other error messages) e.g. a 'TIMEOUT HAS OCCURRED'

Message 6 of 55
Latest reply

We do have the really important stuff like making people Lords and Ladies covered.
Message 7 of 55
Latest reply

Its not new news, anyone that uses the Internet would know we are very lowly ranked and have worse telicoms than some third world countries 

Message 8 of 55
Latest reply

No Problems here in NZ 🙂

Message 9 of 55
Latest reply

I suspect you have been taking image size lessons (and content appreciation) from BIG. I must admit your unacknowledged graph below from :

Truth Seekers Musings  This is a proudly Australian , left wing site, dedicated to satirical political poetry from a 58 year old singer/songwriter. Gosh what a source!

It is in keeping with standard biased posts though, as the figure for Australia's net debt only reached 9.7% in 2007-8 then under the Circus rose to 27.16% by 2013
The use of the term "CURRENT" is wrong (deliberately?)

Historical Data Chart

ABC Fact Check investigates Mr Hockey's claims about Australia's level of spending and debt.

"So, the fact of the matter is they've left a whole lot of landmines in the budget. We need to carefully remove those landmines and put us back on a path that gets us away from $123 billion of deficit, and starts to pay down the logjam of $667 billion of debt."

Mr Hockey's claims about Australia's forecast levels of debt and deficits may be "pessimistic", but they are consistent with Treasury modelling.

IMF chart showing change in real expenditure, 2012-2018

(International Monetary Fund)

ABC

The Treasurer's other claim - that growth in Australia's net debt is the third highest among the 17 nations surveyed. On this point, he's also correct.

Truth Seekers Musings  This is a proudly Australian , left wing site, dedicated to satirical political poetry from a 58 year old singer/songwriter

That easily beats BIG's  "Independent" citizen bloggers and journalists

Myopic Tongues2 Small.jpg

Message 10 of 55
Latest reply