Internet speeds: Australia ranks 44th

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-12/australian-internet-speeds-rank-44th-in-the-world/6012570

A US study has delivered an unwelcome finding about Australian internet speeds, finding that they are well behind the international pack.

One engineering expert said the nation would continue to tumble down in world rankings if the rollout of the National Broadband Network (NBN) continues in its current form.

....Australia's relative decline was because many other countries were moving forward apace with new and upgraded networks.

"The drop is happening because a lot of other countries over this period are moving towards fibre-based access networks, or they've already completed rollouts of what we would call the multi-technology mixing/mixed networks...."

"Whatever way you look at it, what it means is that the average speeds that Australians are enjoying are slowly becoming less than most of our competitors around the world."

Copper-based network slowing Australia down: expert

Federal Government's decision to switch from fibre-to-the-home to a mixed fibre/copper network was part of the reason for the decline.

"One of the reasons is that we're falling down the list [is] that we're moving towards utilising a copper-based access network," he said.

"Whereas previously, under the Labor government, we were moving towards an all fibre-based network, which is what most of our competitors are now doing.........

We all know this!!!!!

"The key difference between New Zealand and Australia is that New Zealand made the decision to do fibre-to-the-premise, they've stuck with that decision," he said.

Even though Australia is much larger geographically, Dr Gregory said fibre-to-the-home should be financially viable for a network to cover the vast bulk of the population.

"Fibre-to-the-premise is viable in Australia, mainly because most Australians are clustered around the coast," he said.

"If you look at the density of Australians, then really we don't differ very much from most other countries in the world, we're just a large country, but with the technologies that we've got today to actually roll out fibre systems, the cost is not that different from most other countries in the world."

Average connection speed by country

1. South Korea

2. Hong Kong

3. Japan

4. Switzerland

5. Sweden

6. Netherlands

7. Ireland

8. Latvia

9. Czech Republic

10. Singapore

44. Australia

Source: Akamai's State of the Internet Report

WHAT IS WRONG WITH MALCOLM TURNBULL AND THE LNP/COALITION ???

Message 1 of 55
Latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Repeating oneself seems to be the order of the day LOL

Seriously, we need to talk about and then actively address Australian internet Upload Speeds....

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/10/we-need-to-talk-about-upload-speeds/

and there are still 700,000 premises around the nation that are unable to get any broadband at all.

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/01/most-aussies-have-**bleep**py-internet-speeds/

Message 11 of 55
Latest reply

If any one wants to see just how bad Aust ranks and compare your actual speeds to those claimed you should be getting

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

Message 12 of 55
Latest reply

Thanks Hawk....I see where Geraldton WA (which was given 'new' rollout??, over and above Bunbury) scores 39.77 Mbps D/Load speed

Like to know why Geraldton was given preference over Bunbury when Bunbury is WA's largest regional city/centre....... obviously to serve Govt for some reason.

Subiaco outer Perth city centre scores highly too

Message 13 of 55
Latest reply

@paintsew007 wrote:

Thanks Hawk....I see where Geraldton WA (which was given 'new' rollout??, over and above Bunbury) scores 39.77 Mbps D/Load speed

Like to know why Geraldton was given preference over Bunbury when Bunbury is WA's largest regional city/centre....... obviously to serve Govt for some reason.

Subiaco outer Perth city centre scores highly too

Doubtful that's the reason. It would be to do with the network design, most likely.  The SKA might have been factored in.  Geraldton probably had inadequate service and was probably the site of a POI.   Quigley wasn't in it for the politics.  

Message 14 of 55
Latest reply

It never fails to amaze me that those who make the most noise about the NBN and the Internet speeds are the ones with only a tiny smattering of actual knowledge about the technicalities involved.

They hang on to a false promise made by a desperate aspiring prime minister and supported by a shonky conman who was attempting to create a monopoly of the NBN in the hopes of controlling the information flow and forcing an expensive white elephant on everyone.

All of those players have now gone from the scene after handing over the mess for someone else to clean up.

Copper is the real victim in this charade.  All those how swallowed the false promise without any knowledge of the subject are now up in arms that what was promised did not eventuate. It was actually known that it was not possible to deliver the promise but it was made anyway and the unknowing, unsuspecting crowd swallowed it, hook, line and sinker.

who gets the blame? why the ones who are trying to clean up the mess of course.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 15 of 55
Latest reply

Some one here laughed at me once and said I was going back to NZ the land of slow Dial up hahaha, I will have the last laugh and fast as, sweet as internet 🙂

Message 16 of 55
Latest reply

Hi ya Rosie 🙂

How fast is your net? Like to find out?

http://speedtest.net

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 17 of 55
Latest reply

You don't have a monopoly on knowledge. What's more you don't appear to have a good grasp of or open mind to, the endless potential of new technologies.

Message 18 of 55
Latest reply

Ok I dont understand any of this but this is what it says

Ping 8ms, Down load 28.61mbps, Up load 9.64 mbps, seem to bounce off Auckland by the look of it, I am Bay of Plenty

Message 19 of 55
Latest reply

Thats good Rosie compared to what most here have.

Plods I think you missed the fact that the OPs complaint is about the  pathetic standard of service we suffer here not how much they know about the tech knowledgy involved.

No one needs to know the ins and outs to know we are way way behind the rest of the world and Telstra and the government are to blame for failing to maintain and invest in the infrastructure

Message 20 of 55
Latest reply