Liberals - This is a bit low

imastawka
Honored Contributor

The poster, written in Mandarin, states the "correct" way to vote is to put the Liberal Party first.

Labor has accused the Liberal Party of deliberately using the official colours of the Australian Electoral Commission to mislead Chinese-speaking voters in a marginal seat, despite the AEC stating the posters are within the laws.

The posters, which were written in Mandarin and have appeared at booths in the Melbourne seat of Chisholm, state the "correct" way to vote is to preference the Liberal candidate first.

A photo taken by Victorian Trades Hall secretary Luke Hilakari showed a poster printed in the purple and white colours of the AEC tied to a fence next to an official AEC voting banner.

The text of the poster appears to be written in the style of an official instruction to voters:

"Correct way to vote.

"On the green voting card, put preference 1 next to the Liberal Party. The other boxes can be numbered from smallest to highest."

Australian Labor Party state secretary Kosmos Samaras has confirmed to the ABC that the party lodged a formal complaint with the AEC.

AEC state manager Steve Kennedy has told the ABC that the commission has considered the complaint and found the posters did not breach election laws.

"Whilst the AEC would prefer that parties or lobby groups don't use the colour purple, the AEC doesn't own the colour purple and there is nothing restricting the use of this," he said.

The Liberal Party has declined to comment.

Both the major parties are running female Chinese-Australian candidates in the seat of Chisholm after it was vacated by Liberal-turned-independent Julia Banks.

Roughly 20 per cent of the population in the electorate, in Melbourne's eastern suburbs, are of Chinese ancestry.

The battle for the seat is likely to come down to the Liberal Party's Gladys Liu and Labor's Jennifer Yang.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/federal-election-2019-labor-accuses-liberals-of-creating-mi...

I'm not a political animal, but even I can see this is woefully wrong.

How does this not breach election laws?

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Liberals - This is a bit low

martinw-48
Community Member
Aaaarrrrrr
Message 21 of 59
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@imastawka wrote:

Labor has accused the Liberal Party of deliberately using the official colours of the Australian Electoral Commission to mislead Chinese-speaking voters in a marginal seat, despite the AEC stating the posters are within the laws.

The posters, which were written in Mandarin and have appeared at booths in the Melbourne seat of Chisholm, state the "correct" way to vote is to preference the Liberal candidate first.

A photo taken by Victorian Trades Hall secretary Luke Hilakari showed a poster printed in the purple and white colours of the AEC tied to a fence next to an official AEC voting banner.

T

"On the green voting card, put preference 1 next to the Liberal Party. The other boxes can be numbered from smallest to highest."

Australian Labor Party state secretary Kosmos Samaras has confirmed to the ABC that the party lodged a formal complaint with the AEC.

AEC state manager Steve Kennedy has told the ABC that the commission has considered the complaint and found the posters did not breach election laws.

"Whilst the AEC would prefer that parties or lobby groups don't use the colour purple, the AEC doesn't own the colour purple and there is nothing restricting the use of this," he said.

The Liberal Party has declined to comment.

I'm not a political animal, but even I can see this is woefully wrong.

How does this not breach election laws?

Sounds like the only complaint was about the colour of the poster and not the text (or that's how the AEC has

seen it and commented on that only).

It's not a how to vote form as that would say number the boxes in order of your preference,etc (so it's clearly

media showing people how to vote for one party only),shok.gif

Printed material may be handed out but the sign is "Permanent" so would fall under printed media.

Message 22 of 59
Latest reply

here's a photo taken of the authorization for the sign ( not taken by me, but a concerned citizen)  liberal sign.png

it´s in really tiny writing at the bottom

Message 23 of 59
Latest reply

Oh, that's okay then?????

Screen sized to 300% says it's authorised by the Liberal Party.

Can't read who, though.

Message 24 of 59
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

Cheap or not - it can be erased.

further to my previous post about the use of pencils, sorting and counting of ballot papers, and the role of scrutineers . . . . . . here is a screengrab of the ABC Ch24 taken just minutes ago.

It clearly shows the AEC staff in the purple ‘aprons’ and the scrutineers who don’t, some with clipboards (for writing notes, tally of votes and preferences etc).  I count at least 4 scrutineers, possibly 5 (4 + the person in a black shirt over the right shoulder of the reporter).  There may be more scrutineers present.  There may be some who are monitoring the activities of the Deputy Returning Officer in charge (who wears a yellow ‘apron’).

20190518_183043.jpg

I have circled and arrowhead the 4 that are easily seen.

For those who have never been present for a count it shows what I was posting about.

I challenge anyone to explain to me how a vote could be erased/changed while the count goes on, remembering that scrutineers write down the totals and these would have to match the official AEC totals that are shown on the AEC website for every polling booth.  I am sure if the scrutineer totals differed from the AEC totals a complaint would be lodged by the aggrieved party.

Message 25 of 59
Latest reply

Geez - thank you. lol

Message 26 of 59
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

And what is it with voting - using a pencil on a string. lol

All legal documents require - ink.

Hello, Dom, i just wanted to say hello to you really

You make a good point, maybe they should make it a rule ...bring your own

I send my votes off through the post and it is done in ink

Signatures suck.
Message 27 of 59
Latest reply

I have been a scrutineer a number of times and concur with everything you have said.

It would be totally impossible to change voting papers while they were being counted.

Even papers that had obvious corrections on them were put aside for the Returning Officer to check.

Message 28 of 59
Latest reply

Good morning & Hi Joz - good to see you.

While I didn't find it necessary to say both DD & I have ' worked ' election day - it was a 2 cent post.

Seeing the talent of some using pencil - on their voting papers - though not numerically - was not only an eyeopener - but a hearty guffaw.

Kind of Hieroglyph Voting.

Message 29 of 59
Latest reply

I think it is obviously a deceptive practice.

However, I'd question the mental capacity of any voter who believed and followed instructions that said they HAD to vote one candidate first. We're not in China, for goodness sake. This is a democracy and they should be well aware they have a choice here. If they don't know that much, they shouldn't have a vote.

I'm also not a big fan of signs up in languages other than English. I've no objection to pamphlets before elections, that spell out policies in a range of languages. But on election day, any signs erected around the place should be in English. I don't care if 40% of the people in that electorate are of Chinese origin. The other 60% aren't and any signs should be potentially transparent to 100% of the people.

If someone can't speak English, then that's their problem & they need to make an effort to find out policies before the election.

Message 30 of 59
Latest reply