Liberals - This is a bit low

imastawka
Honored Contributor

The poster, written in Mandarin, states the "correct" way to vote is to put the Liberal Party first.

Labor has accused the Liberal Party of deliberately using the official colours of the Australian Electoral Commission to mislead Chinese-speaking voters in a marginal seat, despite the AEC stating the posters are within the laws.

The posters, which were written in Mandarin and have appeared at booths in the Melbourne seat of Chisholm, state the "correct" way to vote is to preference the Liberal candidate first.

A photo taken by Victorian Trades Hall secretary Luke Hilakari showed a poster printed in the purple and white colours of the AEC tied to a fence next to an official AEC voting banner.

The text of the poster appears to be written in the style of an official instruction to voters:

"Correct way to vote.

"On the green voting card, put preference 1 next to the Liberal Party. The other boxes can be numbered from smallest to highest."

Australian Labor Party state secretary Kosmos Samaras has confirmed to the ABC that the party lodged a formal complaint with the AEC.

AEC state manager Steve Kennedy has told the ABC that the commission has considered the complaint and found the posters did not breach election laws.

"Whilst the AEC would prefer that parties or lobby groups don't use the colour purple, the AEC doesn't own the colour purple and there is nothing restricting the use of this," he said.

The Liberal Party has declined to comment.

Both the major parties are running female Chinese-Australian candidates in the seat of Chisholm after it was vacated by Liberal-turned-independent Julia Banks.

Roughly 20 per cent of the population in the electorate, in Melbourne's eastern suburbs, are of Chinese ancestry.

The battle for the seat is likely to come down to the Liberal Party's Gladys Liu and Labor's Jennifer Yang.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/federal-election-2019-labor-accuses-liberals-of-creating-mi...

I'm not a political animal, but even I can see this is woefully wrong.

How does this not breach election laws?

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Liberals - This is a bit low

@imastawka wrote:

Oh, that's okay then?????

Screen sized to 300% says it's authorised by the Liberal Party.

Can't read who, though.

it's not OK by me stawka.. but because of that authorization, the AEC said it was OK... even though the sign was in their colours and placed next to the AEC sign to make it look like the AEC was telling people how to vote  Smiley Surprised

it says.. authorized by Simon Frost Liberal Patry of Australia (Victorian division)  then the address and name of the printer

Message 31 of 59
Latest reply

I guess they are going to hear from Cadbury :

Cadbury owns the colour purple – in chocolate packaging terms at least, a High Court judge has ruled.

Kit Kat-maker Nestlé took Cadbury, which was two years ago gobbled up by the US giant Kraft, to court to challenge an earlier ruling which gave the Creme Egg-maker exclusive use of the particular colour purple – Pantone 2685C – as used in Dairy Milk packaging.

Message 32 of 59
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

I challenge anyone to explain to me how a vote could be erased/changed while the count goes on, remembering that scrutineers write down the totals and these would have to match the official AEC totals that are shown on the AEC website for every polling booth.  I am sure if the scrutineer totals differed from the AEC totals a complaint would be lodged by the aggrieved party.

I just looked at the AEC website and they now have the booth by booth totals for each electorate.  These were the totals I referred to in my previous post.

Here is a link to the first booth (alphabetically) in my electorate showing the first preference and two party preferred tally:

https://tallyroom.aec.gov.au/HousePollingPlaceFirstPrefs-24310-4934.htm

These would have been totalled at the booth before the ballot papers were returned to an AEC office.  Scrutineers would have had access to these before the papers left the booth, again reinforcing the validity of the vote even though pencils were used at the booth.

Spoiler
for those who don’t want to click the link:

8A7502A0-C865-4FAE-9D07-189578737CEB.png
Message 33 of 59
Latest reply

Gee, that was an impressive number of informal votes for one small booth.

Message 34 of 59
Latest reply

I don't intend to post about the use of pencils anymore.

I'm hoping that I have provided enough of a case for readers who may have wondered about the risks associated with use of pencils for voting to now be informed of the actual processes and assured that the risk is infinitismal if not zero, certainly never enough to affect the outcome of an election.

As another poster posted take your own pen for voting would be excellent advice.

Message 35 of 59
Latest reply

They should have let the inmates on Nauru and Manus vote. They've been here long enough to qualify.They're probably better educated too and won't need any guidance.
Message 36 of 59
Latest reply

I used ink and so did my husband.

Message 37 of 59
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Image result for a long time ago emperors kingdoms meme

Message 38 of 59
Latest reply

Smiley Surprised

A count ?

image host
Message 39 of 59
Latest reply

just as an update to the OP.. the independent for Kooyong is taking this to the court of disputed returns on legal advice

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/may/21/oliver-yates-may-take-liberals-to-court-of-di...

he has just started crowd funding  this morning

Message 40 of 59
Latest reply