Opinions ?

Ok so thought I'd ask complete strangers what they think.  As many of you know I spend a great deal of time caring both for my own girls and in a voluntary capacity with children at risk.  I have just finished a dip in counselling and also have an associate diploma. I am thinking of doing a social welfare degree but am limited because I can't get out of the house easily for extended times. So I am again thinking of doing one by distance.  So here's the thing, those closest to me think that while I have the capacity to achieve this my girls should be my focus and since there is a good chance I may not work full time that I should just concentrate on them.

I disagree, why should I be limited why can't I focus on them as well as achieving other things that put me in good stead for employment later down the track?  Some argue that I have enough qualifications as it is to obtain employment again, so why push it. But I like to think outside the boundaries others set for me!! 

I don't know maybe I should take a year off and think about it?  Decisions, decisions....

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Opinions ?

Do it, Bella. Ypu'd regret it if you don't.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 11 of 22
Latest reply

Ventriliquism by correspondence? Sounds like the same school I did my mime for the blind course:-)
Message 12 of 22
Latest reply

i say do what you want

i have done massives of distance courses over the last 20+ years

in all different subjects and fields

im a single mum and full time carer for over 20+ years

and i fit the courses in and around seeing to my kids and being a fulltime carer to my middle son

you can do fulltime,part time.or just a few subjects

i use to do it at night while kids slept late at night most nights.after working.and teaching my son school

my last course i did so well that they told me i could skip a whole level and go up 2 levels

said it was some of the best work they had ever had

i started full time but had to go to part time-as i was teaching my autistic son at home year 10 at the time

ps"my son got really high scores on his year 10 cert)

plus i was working fulltime 6  days/evenings a week(had a adult son who helped babysitting a bit

and i only worked 5 minutes from home lol

so i could work for a bit to get us money to buy all new appliance and electronics

that we couldnt of afforded otherwise lol

so if i can manage anyone can

and im gonna do another course next year just looking around to see what i want to do lol

tara

Message 13 of 22
Latest reply

You can do both, study and be a Mum to your girls.. it is your choice. You need to have your own interests too, if studying is something you want to do ( it sounds like you do enjoy it) then that is your interest, outside caring for your family.

Message 14 of 22
Latest reply

Do what makes you happy, life is too short not to follow your dreams

Message 15 of 22
Latest reply

is there a Mr bella? Ask him for input. Can he help more with your girls or other things to free up a bit of time for you?

I work in child care so as well as having that diploma i went a did a dip in interior design, just because, did a short photography course just because am looking at extending that and possibly doing an advanced diploma in community sector management. Again, just because. I dont have kids but I do work heaps and have little time with other projects but I think...so what!!

Message 16 of 22
Latest reply

"You're a woman. You can do anything. And you can do a million things at once.

If the course is by distance, then what is the issue? You can take your time and you don't have to leave the house.

Study isn't always about getting a job. It is as much about using your brain, learning new things, understanding your world better.

And to top it off - your girls will be proud that their mum managed to get a degree later in life. It sets an example to them that life is not limited.

Just do it"

There it is, the answer from Martini in a nutshell, I'd say go for it, it's not just academic, it's a lifetime experience ....  Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 22
Latest reply

Thank you everyone!! I've decided to go for it anyway because I can and because I think expanding my knowledge and learning more has to be a positive in the long run both for me and for my family. I'm in my early forties and I am realising more than ever that there is so much more to embrace in life and so much more that I want to do and achieve. I just needed a little encouragement and I have gotten that here, again thank you!!! :)Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 22
Latest reply

Bella even if you wanted to study something like how to buil a boat, what on earth has it to do with anyone except you, your hubby and your girls ?

You know what you're capable of and you know how much "spare time" you have.  It's a great way to study with no pressure but with plenty of outside stimulus and I can imagine you NEED to have that.

Good luck to you xx

Message 19 of 22
Latest reply

I think you made the right decision, bella Smiley Happy

Learning more will benefit for looking after your girls and your experience with your girls will make you great at the job when the rime comes.

My son has been going through with many aid teachers last 11 years.. Some of the aid teachers have aspie kids themselves. His current aid teacher has a grown up son with aspergers. Her help and encouragement to my son and reassurance for me has been really helped both of us in many situations. You will be great in your welfare work in future.

Good luck Smiley Happy

Photobucket
Message 20 of 22
Latest reply