RCH refuse to return children

Well done, RCH drs for putting the children first and standing up to our politicians and their heart breaking stance on asylum seekers.

http://www.smh.com.au/victoria/royal-childrens-hospital-doctors-refuse-to-return-children-to-detenti...

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 1 of 147
Latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

Re: RCH refuse to return children

@iapetus_rocks wrote:

I'll bet the children feel terrorised, only if because they haven't a clue what's going on. Unlike their parents who bring them here.

That could depend on their ages, what they've lived through, etc. Not claiming they are responsible for any actions they take, but understand why caution is needed here. There are never blanket solutions to major issues.

Message 41 of 147
Latest reply

The refugees are Muslim. almost exclusively. So, a further terrorist suggestion on my part is to offer these children foster homes with Australian families where they would learn the culture of the land and adopt it as their own.

and where they would (hopefully) forget about their past of  being traumatised by people who have a violent religious-political agenda.

Message 42 of 147
Latest reply

Thank you for good discussion on the topic. 🙂

Message 43 of 147
Latest reply

@iapetus_rocks wrote:

The refugees are Muslim. almost exclusively. So, a further terrorist suggestion on my part is to offer these children foster homes with Australian families where they would learn the culture of the land and adopt it as their own.

and where they would (hopefully) forget about their past of  being traumatised by people who have a violent religious-political agenda.

Yes, I know, but I don't think you're seeing the possible bigger picture. How old are these kids? The Parental link is very strong in a lot of cultures, forgetting the past sounds simple, but not likely.

Message 44 of 147
Latest reply

@iapetus_rocks wrote:

So, a further terrorist suggestion on my part 

Oh. My bad.

Message 45 of 147
Latest reply

Some are genuine and some are not. That's an accepted fact.

The children are innocent, being under the control of their parents (as I was when I was taken back by my parents  to live in the UK when I was a child, against my wishes.)

If we must have detention of asylum seekers, we could at least let the children out to live in freedom, seeing as how they are innocent pawns in the game.

Why would any genuinely concerned parent object to that?

(oh no . . . they're going to learn to be a civilised human being and respect women as their equals and appreciate a society which  is not subject to religious control but which endorses religious freedom for the individual . . .)

What's the Arabic for "quelle horreur"?

Message 46 of 147
Latest reply

Yes, I'm seeing the bigger picture.

if we keep the children in detention then we are doing them great harm and they will remember us for that. If we let them out then it's more likely they will acculturate.

Message 47 of 147
Latest reply

@iapetus_rocks wrote:

Some are genuine and some are not. That's an accepted fact.

The children are innocent, being under the control of their parents (as I was when I was taken back by my parents  to live in the UK when I was a child, against my wishes.)

If we must have detention of asylum seekers, we could at least let the children out to live in freedom, seeing as how they are innocent pawns in the game.

Why would any genuinely concerned parent object to that?

(oh no . . . they're going to learn to be a civilised human being and respect women as their equals and appreciate a society which  is not subject to religious control but which endorses religious freedom for the individual . . .)

What's the Arabic for "quelle horreur"?

Sadly, in this day and age, no. Children have been used as suicide bombers. You used the word civilised, and respect, and equals.None of those live here in this world, guaranteed anymore. 

Anyway, I'm a troll, who has apparently hurt people. So what do I know?

Message 48 of 147
Latest reply

I'm a bit amazed at all the discussion about this.

What exactly are doctors and others suggesting?

That these children are removed from their parents?

Good grief. The govt has just had to apologise to aborigines for that sort of thing in the past. We are seeing moves made for some women prisoners to have babies and toddlers allowed to be with them in prison.

Or is the suggestion that if someone is a  *parent* with kids in tow, they will bypass the normal checks in place for anyone else. That would be a surefire way to ensure more children were involved in the future.

The best solution I can see is to make detention centres not too bad, like small village centres or like the migrant hostels of old.

With violent troublemakers removed, deported or placed in completely separate detention centres.

Message 49 of 147
Latest reply

Sounds like a good sensible solution

A bit too sensible for the powers that be

At least instead of boats filled with young men

Of fighting age they will each one be clutching

A child for their own salvation

And for the childs more importantly

And may be looked on more favorably by the

Rest of mankind

Message 50 of 147