Should we withdraw aid from Indonesia?

Apparently we've withdrawn our ambassador, should we also withdraw aid?

My husband says we should redirect the money to try and curb our growing ice epidemic in Australia...good point I suppose.

I dont think the execution of prisoners is a reason to withdraw aid, but I think there needs to be a good long look at where the aid is going to due to the high levels of corruption in the country. Is the aid actually reaching those that need it? If so, then we probably shouldnt withdraw it. But if its just lining the pockets of corrupt politicians, then we probably should.

I'm guessing there will at least be a hefty reduction in aid in the next budget anyway.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 1 of 58
Latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: Should we withdraw aid from Indonesia?

I respect peoples right to vocally express their oposition to the death penalty and corruption in the Indonesian justice system, but the execution of two convicted drug smugglers ( as mandated by Indonesias soveriegn legal system ) is not a good enough reason to change foreign policy. There may be plenty of other, good reasons to review our aid to Indonesia, but drug smugglers aint one of them.

Message 31 of 58
Latest reply

I respect peoples right to vocally express their opposition to the death penalty and corruption in the Indonesian justice system, but the execution of two convicted drug smugglers ( as mandated by Indonesia's sovereign legal system ) is not a good enough reason to change foreign policy. There may be plenty of other, good reasons to review our aid to Indonesia, but drug smugglers aint one of them.

Message 32 of 58
Latest reply

I can't believe this diplomatic stoush about a cpl of drug runners.

It's their law fgs. They are known to execute drug runners.

Our government did it's best to intervene, spent milions of $$$ (of taxpayers money) in appeals. If anything, they only prolonged the ordeal  for the 2.

It all came to nothing. Very sad. I wept for them and their families.

The end.

In the same news tonight, the murderer of Morgan Huxley here in Sydney, Daniel Kelsall got 30 yrs for stabbing his victim 28 times.

I'd like to see the same for him as the Bali boys got.

Message 33 of 58
Latest reply

I am against the death penalty and I doubt that I will ever condone it. Indonesia jumps up and down [and rightfully so] when Indonesian citizens are given the death penalty in other countries.The death penalty is used as a political tool and inconsistent. It is a corrupt goverment and has been for decades. What they are doing to the West Papuans, for example, is deplorable,

If the AFP had have arrested the Bali 9 in Sydney instead of informing their Indonesian counterparts, knowing full well that the punishment would be death, then, they would have been in our legal system, where rehabilitation actually means something. The death penalty is not a deterrant. never has been, never will be. It is barbaric, regressive, uncivilised and permanent. There are two appeals set for May 12th. If the appeal is successful, death can be undone.

One of the executed suffered from a severe mental illness. He needed proper treatment and not be tied to a cross, have a marker placed over his heart and shot to death. Disgusting.

France has warned the Indonesian government that there will strong ramifications if they proceed with the execution of a French Citizen.

Amnesty International has begun a campaign to have the death penalty abolished world wide. Its a shame that there are still people in this world who shake their pitchforks and bey for blood. Pathetic. I am so glad that the death penalty was abolished here and I hope that it is never reinstated.

These two young men were not heroes. They were human beings who learnt from their monumental mistakes and set about making amends as best that they could.

I'd rather have compassion than have a heart filled with vengeance.

This morning, I was sad; tonight I'm **bleep** off.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 34 of 58
Latest reply

"death CAN'T be undone"

Message 35 of 58
Latest reply

@bluecat*dancing wrote:

"death CAN'T be undone"

Tell Jesus that. 

Message 36 of 58
Latest reply

Woman LOL

Message 37 of 58
Latest reply

@bluecat*dancing wrote:

I am against the death penalty and I doubt that I will ever condone it. Indonesia jumps up and down [and rightfully so] when Indonesian citizens are given the death penalty in other countries.The death penalty is used as a political tool and inconsistent. It is a corrupt goverment and has been for decades. What they are doing to the West Papuans, for example, is deplorable,

If the AFP had have arrested the Bali 9 in Sydney instead of informing their Indonesian counterparts, knowing full well that the punishment would be death, then, they would have been in our legal system, where rehabilitation actually means something. The death penalty is not a deterrant. never has been, never will be. It is barbaric, regressive, uncivilised and permanent. There are two appeals set for May 12th. If the appeal is successful, death can be undone.

One of the executed suffered from a severe mental illness. He needed proper treatment and not be tied to a cross, have a marker placed over his heart and shot to death. Disgusting.

France has warned the Indonesian government that there will strong ramifications if they proceed with the execution of a French Citizen.

Amnesty International has begun a campaign to have the death penalty abolished world wide. Its a shame that there are still people in this world who shake their pitchforks and bey for blood. Pathetic. I am so glad that the death penalty was abolished here and I hope that it is never reinstated.

These two young men were not heroes. They were human beings who learnt from their monumental mistakes and set about making amends as best that they could.

I'd rather have compassion than have a heart filled with vengeance.

This morning, I was sad; tonight I'm **bleep** off.

Was he tied to a cross? Andrew Chan?

Message 38 of 58
Latest reply

yes, we should withdraw the aid. Our people need money. The indigenous need money. I would love to see the government spend money in Australia than giving aid to Indonesia. Indonesian government try to provoke us by announcing the execution on ANZAC.
Message 39 of 58
Latest reply

That was so very well said Bluecat and exactly how decent people feel.  

Severe injustice.

Joono
Message 40 of 58
Latest reply