Sineater - psst...in here

I just watched Materchef  US Season 5 Episode 1

(Thought I better start a new thread and not hijack the Australian one)

Plus we can add Hell's Kitchen and Kitchen Nightmares to this one too.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 1 of 338
Latest reply
337 REPLIES 337

Re: Sineater - psst...in here

Oh I appreciate the thought, but you guys really shouldn't have waited for me. 

Crikey, I think the Julia/Julliette idea sounds like great fun! 

In my household, hubby works out of the house and I'm away at work five to six days a week. So he does the majority of the cooking. Which is good since he really enjoys it and has a real talent in the kitchen. I cook occassionaly to give him a break once in awhile, but I'm a pretty basic cook. Not bad, just nothing fancy and more old school. Too be honest, I have so little down time that the last thing I want to do is spend all night in the kitchen. Hubby on the other hand is very creative and loves to experiment and try new things. I know I'm lucky and try not to take him for granted.  I enjoy watching thedifferent food shows late at night, maybe one of these days I'll have more time to try out my creative side. I think I could really enjoy the process if I wasn't always so pressed for time.

Well!! I was really surprised that Frances B went home last night. I thought it was kind of a shame since I think he has more talent than a few of the others that are still there. His(and Christians)dish really was uninspired though and showed no creativity whatsoever. I could see why they were put up. I thought for sure that it was going to be Cutter going home though. I think even he was surprised! lol He had a look on his face that was a little dumbfounded, like he couldn't believe it wasn't him headed out the door.

Courtneys smug little smile was more than a little irritating. Although I grudgingly admit she has skills, she thinks too highly of herself. It makes it really hard to like her.

I did like how Ahran and Leslie worked so well together and came to an understanding. I thought that was cool. Ahran is kind of a little brat, but she's a really good cook and I think she's just young and immature. It was kind of nice to see that she was able to put aside her differences with Leslie and move on from it.

Photobucket
Message 181 of 338
Latest reply

Yes, it showed a maturity and growth of Ahrahn, and also, it showed a nice side of Leslie in the pantry, that he conceded to let her take the lead and showed her he really did respect what she had to say iykwim - not just write her off as a little kid and not let past hostilities interfere - he could have tried to ocver run her, but he didn't

maybe tactical, but nonetheless - a huge respect for both of them here

Polly 0 if we did it once a fortnight - could you fit in the julia and juliette thing - and we could do it on here kind of thing? Maybe you and your OH could do it together too.

The show I am thinking of is ultimate home cooking - so it is food designed for home and not time intensive.

Message 182 of 338
Latest reply

Sin!

What's the difference between Sous-vide and Boil in the Bag?

I've been thinking iot was some posh new invention the way it is being touted atm - but????

I think it's just a posh name for Boil in the Bag?

I've been researching a bit this morning, and it seems to be the same as we have been doing for as long as I know - immersing in a water bath at a controlled temp and cooking for many hours - we even do it in a combi steamer!

What do you guys refer to as boil in the bag? Is that like a wet dish already cooked and cryovaked and then just the bag dumped in a pot of boiling water to reheat? (We call that Rip and Dump)

Message 183 of 338
Latest reply

Crikey, am I nuts, or did I only dream that we were talking about chicken prices this morning? 😉

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 184 of 338
Latest reply

Nope - Not nuts at all

Message 185 of 338
Latest reply

Well, wasn't that on the bikini thread? 

What the heck???? 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
no siggy
Message 186 of 338
Latest reply

lol,yes,a boil-in-bag here would be the same thing as a rip and dump.

sous-vide is great for things like poaching chicken or fish,and maintaining all the juices and aroma  while keeping it tender and white.

also it's really great for things that many people steam,like asparagus or broccoli. it maintains the color,cooks it through,but still leaves a crispness to the texture. it's also excellent for scrambled eggs to go on a buffet,they can stay in the cooker for hours and remain soft without going "green",or getting tough. 

and rice,especially long grain,or delicate pastas like angelhair,or couscous,sous-vide cooking ROCKS for those!

here's a pic of a classic boil in bag,banquet chipped beef and gravy-

chipped beef

taste my religion! nibble a witch! 😄
Message 187 of 338
Latest reply

polly,i agree,i thought that cutter should have gone home,but then, francis b. did double fry the spring rolls.BIG nono!!

and although his and christian's dish WAS uninspired, piegirl(elise) and chemicalboy(francis l.)'s dish was SCARY looking!! 

it was pretty cool to see ahran and leslie work together so well,and i bet he'll NEVER call her "eye-ran" again,after gordon's remarks,lol! and i was very appreciative of leslie actually laughing at gordon's remark to ahran about him being her"little bleep",that was funny!

dan wu and cutter,what a mess!! i really like dan as a cook,and i liked cutter too,until he started blaming everyone else for his screwups.

taste my religion! nibble a witch! 😄
Message 188 of 338
Latest reply

Look what I found

Message 189 of 338
Latest reply

And another one

Message 190 of 338
Latest reply