Tipping in Australia

THE push to introduce America's gratuity system could tip fed-up Aussie pub patrons over the edge.

While hospitality staff say it's time to embrace tipping for better service, critics have come out swinging.

Traditionally, patrons in New York City include a 20 per cent tip for everything from housekeeping to buying a beer.

A 15 per cent tip is considered the norm across the US.

Sandy Hill Road director Matt Mullins, a Melbourne hotelier, said the tipping trend could lift service standards.

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/australians-tipping-more-than-ever-before-according-to-un...

Do you want it introduced here for mandatory tipping?

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Re: Tipping in Australia

The person dining is tipping for 'service' which is provided by the wait person.  The chef is providing a product ( cooked food?) for the customer.

Hosp rates are same as office work and other types of work approx $21.86 p/h Mon-Fri (level 2). If the hospitality staff got tips and the office workers didn't. that wouldn't seem fair.

They also get penal rates - rates are $25p.h. approx on Sat, $30p.h on Sun and about $46p'h on public holidays.

In the US the service industry has exceptionally low wages. Even in the UK the hourly rate is pretty low.

When my daughter worked in restaraunts the tips were divided up equally at the end of the shift to all those working that shift incl the chefs.

If a waitperson does a good job and the diner tips a bit extra, then that tip will be shared with another waitperson who could have been scowlng all night and mucking up the orders.

When we had a meal in the day time in the US, the waitperson, kept coming up saying everything alright several times, then  later said she was about to finish her shift soon. Was she hinting for her tip before she left?

Message 51 of 56
Latest reply

@my*mum wrote:

well, elizabeth's mum was already taken.

theres quite a few mums around once you think about it

Signatures suck.
Message 52 of 56
Latest reply

i think that you guys have a different award where you live Am.

We actually have 3 here in Qld, depending on how the establishment is categorized. but none of them are that high. They mainly differ in  how/if penalty rates apply.

So if the wait person is providing a servce, then what is the glass and cutlery cleaner providing? or the housekeepers? the salt and pepper filler upper? The sommelier? The bus boys? The runners? The KP's? The little dude who runs around filling up the sanitizers for the service equipment (which is a total waste of time - but that's another issue) or the little dude who runs around sticking his thermometer into everything on the buffet and recording and reporting the temperatures etc

Why is the act of a prson carrying a plate to the table seen differently as a chef preparing the meal?

another scenario - when a VIP stays onsite of a hotel, they usually get a private butler. Now the butler usually gets some pretty big and amazing tips, yet there are so many people who work behind the scenes and support the butler so that he can do his job effectively, but if the butler doesn't share, they never see a thing or get acknowledgement for their contribution.

eg - VIP wanted a whole roast chicken. Hotel had chicken, but not a whole one, so another staff member was sent out to get the chicken. VIP eventually got the chicken, butler got the tip, but all he did was set it up on the table in their room cos he was the "magician who made the impossible a reality"

LOL sometimes they get gifts as tips - spose that'd be hard to split up LOL.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 53 of 56
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

The person dining is tipping for 'service' which is provided by the wait person.  The chef is providing a product ( cooked food?) for the customer.

Hosp rates are same as office work and other types of work approx $21.86 p/h Mon-Fri (level 2). If the hospitality staff got tips and the office workers didn't. that wouldn't seem fair.

They also get penal rates - rates are $25p.h. approx on Sat, $30p.h on Sun and about $46p'h on public holidays.

In the US the service industry has exceptionally low wages. Even in the UK the hourly rate is pretty low.

When my daughter worked in restaraunts the tips were divided up equally at the end of the shift to all those working that shift incl the chefs.

If a waitperson does a good job and the diner tips a bit extra, then that tip will be shared with another waitperson who could have been scowlng all night and mucking up the orders.

When we had a meal in the day time in the US, the waitperson, kept coming up saying everything alright several times, then  later said she was about to finish her shift soon. Was she hinting for her tip before she left?

Yep she was. 

I find it a bit over the top when I'm in US when they try to be overly nice. 

Message 54 of 56
Latest reply

@joz*garage wrote:

@my*mum wrote:

well, elizabeth's mum was already taken.

theres quite a few mums around once you think about it

there is actually heaps, I didn't realize before - heaps of dads too

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 55 of 56
Latest reply

the service person would recieve the tips, my*, because they are the ones directly in contact with the customers

Signatures suck.
Message 56 of 56
Latest reply