Tipping in Australia

THE push to introduce America's gratuity system could tip fed-up Aussie pub patrons over the edge.

While hospitality staff say it's time to embrace tipping for better service, critics have come out swinging.

Traditionally, patrons in New York City include a 20 per cent tip for everything from housekeeping to buying a beer.

A 15 per cent tip is considered the norm across the US.

Sandy Hill Road director Matt Mullins, a Melbourne hotelier, said the tipping trend could lift service standards.

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/australians-tipping-more-than-ever-before-according-to-un...

Do you want it introduced here for mandatory tipping?

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Tipping in Australia

no

but I would like to see a system for the even distribution amongst all relevant staff and an appropriate reporting system for any tips that are received.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

I nearly always tip 10% in restaurants or sit down cafes, but only if the service is decent. The other day I tried to tip the teenager who carried my shopping from the supermarket but he made such a fuss. I had to explain how accept it quietly.

I wonder if the tipping would cover school tuck shops. Crikey I hope not.

I don't think it should be mandatory...and I think most people already do tip in restaurants? Well, everyone I know does.
Message 3 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

bob - (or anyone else) Do you know if workers in the US have to declare tips on their income tax return? Some of them would earn heaps in tips...hotel concierges for one.

I don't think it is necessary in Australia because hospitality/service industry staff are on a high wage rate ($21 approx weekday - $30 Sunday p.h.) & penal time, compared to US workers where service industry is a very low paid job.

Someone working in a basic office job here would get $20 approx an hour, same as someone waiting on tables in a cafe.

I have seen more jars and saucers! being put out for tips here though. even in dingy fish and chips shops.

My eldest worked in a cafe while at Uni and got a lot of  cash as tips (last job was a fine dining restaraunt). The money was pooled on the shift and at the end of the shift it is divided equally amongst the staff working that shift.

Hospitality staff in the US do have a much better attitude to their customers than they do here though.. they know they have to give good service if they expect a tip

Message 4 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

i dont tip, they get paid for doing their job what more do they expect?

but i did tip 5c at a drive thru fast food joint the other night

the meal was 9.95 i gave 'em 10 bucks *keep the change*

Signatures suck.
Message 5 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

Lol joz,big spender there Man Tongue

I do agree though,no needs for tips unless you feel service has been good.

Some staff at restaurants think they are doing you a favour by serving you,no tips there.

Message 6 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

cq_tech
Community Member
Property developers and Businessmen have been tipping Australian Councils and Politicians for decades already (usually in brown paper bags) so it's not as if we're talking about anything new here.
Message 7 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

I understand (could be wrong) that USA hospitality workers are actually assessed for income on the premise they get a certain amount of tips, hence they chase you down the street if you don't tip, you're actually losing them money 🙂

prostate cancer ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 8 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

I always tip cab drivers and sometimes coffee shops (if the coffee is excellent):-)
Message 9 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

Larry Pickering used to be a big tipper,but they usually ran last.
Message 10 of 56
Latest reply