Tipping in Australia

THE push to introduce America's gratuity system could tip fed-up Aussie pub patrons over the edge.

While hospitality staff say it's time to embrace tipping for better service, critics have come out swinging.

Traditionally, patrons in New York City include a 20 per cent tip for everything from housekeeping to buying a beer.

A 15 per cent tip is considered the norm across the US.

Sandy Hill Road director Matt Mullins, a Melbourne hotelier, said the tipping trend could lift service standards.

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/australians-tipping-more-than-ever-before-according-to-un...

Do you want it introduced here for mandatory tipping?

Message 1 of 56
Latest reply
55 REPLIES 55

Tipping in Australia

I was thinking along the lines of... if tipping becomes more common in Australia, then the receipients should declare it on their tax return. Bit greedy to want more tips but not declare them as income.

Message 21 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

Agreed, but how the hell do you enforce it?
Message 22 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

Tipping, as I saw it in Canada many years ago was expected for personal service. Like pouring you a drink at the bar or filling your car's tank with petrol or carrying your bags at a hotel.

It was explained to me that tipping was a necessary thing for those in service industries who frequently earned only minimum wages.

As stated above, it can be a mechanism which depresses the amount of minimum wage paid. it shouldn't be necessary or even expected for those who can earn a living wage, and the sad fact is that tipping is often needed for people to supplement their meagre income.

On the other side, I heard from friends over there that the position of Doorman at some prestigious hotels in New York doesn't even pay a wage but that position must be bought by the job applicant, as the generous tips from wealthy patrons produces a more than satisfactory income.

it's a strange world.

Message 23 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

The hospitality industry in the USA usually pays the minimum wage....which is pathetic compared to ours.

The tips mean the difference between poverty and a barely living wage.

OMG the guilt of NOT tipping in the USA.

I usuallty tip here, but not for bad service. 

I admit that I tip bigger to obviously recent migrants.....some of whom (it is reported) are being taken advantage of by employers.

They put in so much more effort,, and I  make sure it goes quietly into their hands and not the dish.

As for doormen in wealthy hotels in Canada working for tips,  Employees used to pay the employer to work in some establishments where the tipping was humungous particularly in the bars.and dining rooms..  ie. Pharlots Hotel (long  gone) and others in the Sydney CBD.  I wonder if it still secretly happens particularly those frequented by Americans...the ultimate tippers.

Nothing would surprise me.

Message 24 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

I remember being served by a particularly rude waitress in Montreal. She was Scottish . . . not that that makes any difference, but she was so rude and acted as though she was suspicious of us stealing the tea spoons that I refused to leave her a tip, much to the chagrin of the friends I was dining with. They left her a small tip but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.

In fact, if I remember rightly (and I'm not sure that I do cos it was such a long time ago) I did steal a teaspoon. 😉

Message 25 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

She was probably having a bad day because she was in Montreal and not home in Nova Scotia.

Geez Acacia.....I just saw the time.....I am off to get some zzzzzzs.

Message 26 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

@am*3 wrote:

I was thinking along the lines of... if tipping becomes more common in Australia, then the receipients should declare it on their tax return. Bit greedy to want more tips but not declare them as income.

you already have to declare them.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 27 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

I do agree though,no needs for tips unless you feel service has been good.

yes i believe there should be good service in the first place

if not, i just go somewhere else where there is good service

thats also good for them for return business

tipping should not be the incentive to receive good service

simple hahahaha

Signatures suck.
Message 28 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

Hey Joz. I know from experience that if I stand at a crowded bar in Montreal and order a beer and don't leave a tip, then I'm going to be waiting a very long time before I get served another one.

Message 29 of 56
Latest reply

Tipping in Australia

@acacia_pycnantha wrote:

Hey Joz. I know from experience that if I stand at a crowded bar in Montreal and order a beer and don't leave a tip, then I'm going to be waiting a very long time before I get served another one.

hi acacia, thats just plain rude service imo, i think with the high costs of beer in oz which is much dearer to buy on tap too, extra tipping to receive service here at any busy pub is not the same as the bar tenders get their fair wage and dont need that extra jolt, you simply wait in line like ive always known it to be

Signatures suck.
Message 30 of 56
Latest reply