Victims want their abuser charged

38 REPLIES 38

Re: Victims want their abuser charged

Implications are not legal rights. I don't want a country where public transport users spit vile in others faces just as much as I don't want my government to have the legal right to shoot protestors, the law John Howard brought in. As neither Labor or the Coalition want a bill of rights in this country I will continue to believe that our government whatever the colour of tie wishes to control above and beyond what I consider democracy. The fact that big business enjoys the ear of government to a far greater extent than the citizens it should listen too proves the we are closer to a plutocracy than democracy
Message 31 of 39
Latest reply

I'm not arguing 'implications' Wilk, it's just one word amongst the many that can be used when someone can't see what is really there, logically or rationally.  If something is 'implied', it's not in black and white, but the practicalities and realities, outside of the writing and as lived, are what is important.

No government is perfect, no society is either, but I would rather be living here than in some countries where there is no democracy, dictatorship is the rule of law, capital punishment and where you risk your life to go out of your front door.

How you see your country is absolutely your right to do so, I agree with that, but I don't have to agree with the way you see it, but perhaps you are being a little too harsh, I don't know.

Message 32 of 39
Latest reply

Australia does not have explicit freedom of speech in any constitutional or statutory declaration of rights

Message 33 of 39
Latest reply

"Australia does not have explicit freedom of speech in any constitutional or statutory declaration of rights"

Australia is a democracy .....   Smiley Happy

There is freedom of speech here, no amount of nitpicking will change that at this time.  It doesn't have to be constitutional, all Australians know that they are free to speak out, unlike some other countries.

Indeed, there are protections legislated against certain speech and the way it is delivered ...  Smiley Happy

I have never said it is written in the constitution, all I am saying is that in Australia, there is democratic freedom of speech and I think that is wonderful ...  Smiley Wink

Message 34 of 39
Latest reply

You may be missing the point.................

I at no time said it wasn't implied and was just giving Joanie information

It just isn't a right as it is in the US.

Message 35 of 39
Latest reply

Getting back to your topic Donna,  yes, there are so many ghastly and dumb people who just want to shout others down to prove they are 'right' (not that they can prove themselves 'right') and will abuse, harrass and do their utmost to hurt others.

I hope that ridiculous woman who abused that couple is put in her place, perhaps she'll be banned from travelling on public transport for some time, either way, hope she is sorted out.

Message 36 of 39
Latest reply

No, didn't miss any point.  I wasn't addressing you at all, just giving Joanie the facts via the Government website as they stand in Australia as she seemed to be interested in how differently it worked here ... xxx

I know how the system works in the USA, different from here constitutionally ...  Smiley Happy

Message 37 of 39
Latest reply

Of course you weren't.

Message 38 of 39
Latest reply

It's nice to be able to discuss and have opinions that can be shared and even resolved without offence being taken or given.

Have a great day ...  Heart

Message 39 of 39
Latest reply