What type of heating do you have at home?

thinking of getting a gas log heater but I need it to heat a big area.  Wondering what sort of heating everyone is ramping up at the moment, especially if you live in the colderst parts of Australia. Its so cold here in Melbourne atm.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: What type of heating do you have at home?

If I didn't have heating I'd have to be dressed up in ski gear, complete with beanie, scarf and gloves. I refuse to dress like that inside the house. It's nudging -4 (feels like -8) here at the moment. I could do it in a warmer climate, and I often did when I lived on the coast, but not here.

Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

At present an oldish medium sized bar heater.
Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

Ducted gas. I love it, especially in the bathroom. Don't care what it costs.

โ€œIโ€™ve got my purse and my gift and my gloves and my selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor and my monoamine oxidase inhibitor and I have my anti-anxiety disco biscuits and I am ready to go. I am really ready!โ€ Sheila
Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

I do not remember winter being as cold as this one in Melbourne.  Icy winds.  We have bought a new house and it has reverse cyle in just about every room plus a gas heater with the fake pebbles on it.  It looks nice but not 100% sure how warm it is yet (we haven't moved in permanently).  I need to be warm, cannot stand the cold, I do like the reverse cycle but love a flame...how many more weeks till spring??? hurry up!!

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

My parents have had a coonara for the last 30 years, it really needs to be replaced which will cost at minimum $2,000.  Then each winter they shell out about the same for firewood.

Also as my parents age its getting harder for them to cart around the wood due to arthritis, bad backs etc.  They have decided that when the wood heater finally carks it they are just going to use thier split system and a small LPG heater.  They have solar panels installed years ago when the buy back price was high and are always in credit after summer so it shouldn't cost them much.

I recommend that you look at all angles to determine the best option for you.  I've seen some people spend thousands on a new wood heater to then not be able to use it after a year because they became physically unable to lug the wood.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

combustion woodheater here, i wouldn't have it any other way

i had another large load of timber dumped off the other day, a house demolisher with tip up truck

all free

Signatures suck.
Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

An oil column heater, a hot water bottle, and a big doona.

Oh and a hot young body if all else fails lol.

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

I Inherited some very hard cassurina ( bull oak and she oak. ) firewood from a friend a couple of weeks ago. Boy does that put out some heat. One good sized log in the slow combustion heater lasts 4-5 hours and the heat output is amazing.

I was lucky enough to find another ute load of cassurina today. It was all cut to size and was completely overgrown with kikua grass. It was on a neighbors property that is going to be sold. I am helping them prepare it for sale and was chopping up a fallen tree when I found the cassurina. The only way to locate the logs was by feeling the lumps with my feet.   Smiley Very Happy    There are a few other piles of cut up fire wood buried in the grass around the property, so I may have the firewood shed full for next year.

The wood needs to be cleaned up so that I can run my tractor and mower over the property. Its an older couple who are struggling with the physical work. I have run a few sheep on the place for quite a few years now in exchange for helping them maintain the property, so a good arrangement all round.

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

Good score, Cham!

Woman Happy

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply