What type of heating do you have at home?

thinking of getting a gas log heater but I need it to heat a big area.  Wondering what sort of heating everyone is ramping up at the moment, especially if you live in the colderst parts of Australia. Its so cold here in Melbourne atm.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

I live in Southern Oregon......winter time occasional snow, temps as low as 10F..........We have an electric heat pump/AC unit.  Our electric bill in winter hits around $120 US, and we seldom have the A/C on in summer, despite 100 degree days.  House is well-insulated with 3 feet of blown in insulation in the ceilings.

Message 11 of 29
Latest reply

Reverse cycle aircon, combined with solar panels.

Message 12 of 29
Latest reply

Melbourne .....Reverse cycle aircon in one room, lovely and warm in the loungeroom, but freezing in the other  rooms. 

Message 13 of 29
Latest reply

fo-trut
Community Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wG4WMzugJQ

That worked great in a camper for 2 years, always kept it on the lowest setting, anything more was too hot. Go with the biggest tank you can, the less you have to swap out tanks, the less your place will stink with that propane smell. and keep a spare tank handy for swapping out. Take one to fill while using the other.

Build a platform where it won't tip over and will be out of the way, also away from anything that can catch fire.

Message 14 of 29
Latest reply

I have a large Rinnai Gas Heater with a Flue and fake logs, best thing I have ever bought, you can set temperature and it heats the whole house, turns off when it reaches temp then turns on when temp drops, 19 degrees is cosy.

One large gas bottle lasts me 6 to 8 weeks, I have it on every day for about  5 hours, cost me $98 for a refill.

Power in New Zealand is so expensive, this actually saves me a bit of money.

The Logs look good, not cheap nasty look

Message 15 of 29
Latest reply

Large open plan out on the plains, gets icy cold at night.

Have a slow combution wood heater and in the early years got wood from any where I could for free, last 20 years just useing wood we cut from some of the 1000 trees we plannted when we first moved in. 

The only down side is the ash 

Message 16 of 29
Latest reply

The ash is good fertiliser for your garden.      Good for making flowers.   Dig it in.

Message 17 of 29
Latest reply

My winter heating is--ugg boots-thick socks track suit and overcoat.

In the background is a pot belly gas heater with no fan.

Handy as a hip pocket in a singlet.......................................... Richo.

Message 18 of 29
Latest reply

We used to have a slow combustion fire, but when free wood dried up, it got hellishly expensive to buy it. Our winter heating bill went from around $200 (we also had a small gas heater for in between times) to nearly $2,000. The fire was lovely, but I got sick of having to constantly clean the house as the ash would get everywhere. I liked that it ran 24/7, so the house was always warm. I never let it go out when cleaning the ash out. I'd clean half the ash out from one side, then move some larger coals over that side, then remove the rest of the ash. I left enough coals whereby they would ignite properly again when I put new logs in.

Had chooks back then and the ash used to go in their dustbath holes because it's good for keeping lice at bay. The excess would go on the compost heap (after being allowed to cool first).

When we decided no more fire, we updated the little gas heater to a bigger one and that does a great job. It gets well below 0 here in winter and we've never needed to have it turned on high. It heats the room really quickly on medium, then gets turned down to low to maintain it. I don't care that the bedrooms aren't heated. That's what electric blankets are for. I actually leave a window open in the bedroom because I quite like being tucked up in a toasty warm bed and have an icy breeze blowing on my face!

We also have a reverse cycle on the wall. It gets used in between times to take the chill out of the air. I also set the timer on it for about an hour before we have to get up for work, so the room is warm to walk out into. Nothing worse than trying to crawl out of a warm bed when it's -10 outside! Lately, Mr Tippy has been running both the gas and the air con. It's killing me because the house is like a furnace. He'll get upset when the power bill comes in, but he'll have no-one to blame but himself!

It's cold enough here in winter whereby we need the heater on all the time while we are home.

Message 19 of 29
Latest reply

Similar here too Richo.  Blinds open all day to let the Sun heat up the living area.  

Then close them to retain the heat and then the winter apparel - woollen socks, woollen dressing gown and maybe the crochet rug across the knees.  Actually, it's amazing how much heat emanates from the standard lamp.

I like the window ajar in the bedroom at night.  I find that if I'm really cozy in bed, it's easier to hop out.

DEB

Message 20 of 29
Latest reply