Why do poor people buy expensive or unnecessary things?

Why do people live beyond their means, especially those on welfare?

Sure, people can spend money on whatever they want but how many times have you seen people who are supposedly struggling financially with nice phones/clothes ordering at takeaways/restaurants when they should be saving and eating at home. 

How about those who have children to feed, yet they're happy to spend their welfare money on alcohol and ciggies?

Can poor people justify spending money on non-essentials?

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: Why do poor people buy expensive or unnecessary things?

@domino-710 wrote:

Why do all Bob's threads ask for ' judgement ' .

Sounds like "Bob" ( probably a play on " 2 bob watch" - a complainer) is let me guess

pommy (activist) 

Public servant (fisheries ?) 

Canberra located  (Insular) 

Message 41 of 71
Latest reply

LOL - I wouldn't be going there with - peed - on the end of my user name.

Message 42 of 71
Latest reply

@bidicus*maximus wrote:

Here in the US we have "foodstamps" so that folks don't have to go hungry. (Though these days, it's on a debit card instead of an actual, "stamp"... still, the charity money can only be spent on groceries, not fast food or dining out)... and we also have many charitable "food pantries" where the down and out can go to pick up free food directly.

Perhaps something similar could be worked out for the other necessities... for instance, instead of receiving cash, recipients receive vouchers that require landlords and utility providers to bill a government agency in order to collect their payments.  I don't know about you down there, but we already have such assistance for housing, if a person qualifies.

Cash for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes is probably not a good idea.  These things are bad for the health and the poor are usually already on public health assistance.  We should all strive to keep those costs down.

If such programs were in place then all could be assured that if they saw one of the poor dining out, for example, the money that they were spending came from doing odd jobs, panhandling, or some other form of gift and NOT from the pocket of the taxpayer.

A welfare card with around 80% of social security money being held for necessities like food, rent and utilities is being trialed in Australia. The programme is meeting a lot of resistance and there is conflicting information as to its success.

Personally I think those who struggle to manage their money could find the card to be a godsend, but for the majority who use their welfare payments responsibly, the card is demeaning and counter productive. The scheme probably needs to be carefully targeted at individuals who have a history of struggling to manage finances rather than all in.

As to why " poor people spend their money on extravagances they cant afford " I don't think many actually do. For the minority that do meet the criteria it is probably complex and not a one size fits all scenario. Reasons for the behaviour include 

* Mental health conditions where the person acts impulsively

* The fact that some who don't actually have to work for their money, don't value it. No effort required to get it and more will be on its way in a fortnight means its not valued by some

* Its not PC to point this out, but income is to certain extent dictated by educational outcomes and IQ. The dux of the school often goes on to study at university and take on a professional career with high income. The dunce of the school ( academically ) often struggles to find reliable well paid employment. Its may not be popular, but we all know its true to an extent. ( there are always exceptions to any rule )

* Parental and social influence can have a big impact. If people are never taught to manage their money from a young age and have poor role models they often go on to repeat the mistakes of their parents.

Message 43 of 71
Latest reply

Overly verbose for a cartoon creator.

Message 44 of 71
Latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@lalbo-81 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@lalbo-81 wrote:

@bidicus*maximus wrote:

Here in the US we have "foodstamps" so that folks don't have to go hungry. (Though these days, it's on a debit card instead of an actual, "stamp"... still, the charity money can only be spent on groceries, not fast food or dining out)... and we also have many charitable "food pantries" where the down and out can go to pick up free food directly.

Perhaps something similar could be worked out for the other necessities... for instance, instead of receiving cash, recipients receive vouchers that require landlords and utility providers to bill a government agency in order to collect their payments.  I don't know about you down there, but we already have such assistance for housing, if a person qualifies.

Cash for drugs, alcohol and cigarettes is probably not a good idea.  These things are bad for the health and the poor are usually already on public health assistance.  We should all strive to keep those costs down.

If such programs were in place then all could be assured that if they saw one of the poor dining out, for example, the money that they were spending came from doing odd jobs, panhandling, or some other form of gift and NOT from the pocket of the taxpayer.

Really? Doing odd jobs is a form of GRIFT? Do you live in the real world? 

GIFT

someone needs new glasses.png

Considering the source, my bet is GIFT was a typo. lol! 

I know the source better than you think you do.  You would lose your bet.  lolz.

and my trust in you as a source is equal to my trust in bidimax, believe it, lol! 

Message 45 of 71
Latest reply

@bidicus*maximus wrote:

Cain't See.jpg

Oh, I SEE NOW! YOU'RE THE FLY, NOT THE MISSUS! No worries, I fixed your obvious typo, since your stance on anyone needing help to suvive is obvious. 

Tell me, how do you feel about the former mayor of Colorado City's response to the citizens? I would expect you to agree, am I correct? 

Message 46 of 71
Latest reply

Remind me - Texas - the lights are out. 

They are freezing.

Now go for a Mayor - Republican or Democrat.

No worries - they haven't realised yet - TRUMP LOST. LOL

NoidPrank.jpg

Sheesh - should be red Texas. 

Kind of like this one - makes my boobs look bigger. Heart

Message 47 of 71
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Why do people live beyond their means, especially those on welfare?

Sure, people can spend money on whatever they want but how many times have you seen people who are supposedly struggling financially with nice phones/clothes ordering at takeaways/restaurants when they should be saving and eating at home. 

How about those who have children to feed, yet they're happy to spend their welfare money on alcohol and ciggies?

Can poor people justify spending money on non-essentials?

when we had our rentals I found it quite ammusing that tennants claimed they couldnt afford to pay the rent at Chrismas time, they claimed the kids deservred to have exspensive presants.

I also found it interesting that they drove latter model cars than I had and had the biggest and latest TVs, X boxes and such. 

At end of the day its not how much money you get, it what you do with it that makes the difference

Message 48 of 71
Latest reply

Question: who are these Poor People, have they been branded by Centrelink or the ATO? What if the people you judge to be "poor" are eccentric millionaires, who choose not to buy from you after reading this remarkably ill-judged comment (like I just have)? After all, it's easy to judge, isn't it, Bob? It's also depressing that you feel so free to do so on this site (or any other).  If you feel so strongly about the Poor spending frivolously, don't accept their money! And let's hope you never end up Poor yourself, eh?  

Message 49 of 71
Latest reply

Would you be tickety-boo with others imposing all such suggestions upon you and yours if you lost your job/ ability to work? Fun in the judging, but not in the being-judged when in misfortune, methinks. Question: do horrible people know how others see them, or don't they care?

Message 50 of 71
Latest reply