Why do poor people buy expensive or unnecessary things?

Why do people live beyond their means, especially those on welfare?

Sure, people can spend money on whatever they want but how many times have you seen people who are supposedly struggling financially with nice phones/clothes ordering at takeaways/restaurants when they should be saving and eating at home. 

How about those who have children to feed, yet they're happy to spend their welfare money on alcohol and ciggies?

Can poor people justify spending money on non-essentials?

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Dates, schmates; posts live for ever on the Internet, isn't that just darling? I thought this was a help-site, it's real cunning of you not to be, hein? Try not to stand in anything, OK?

Message 61 of 71
Latest reply

You have not asked for any help.

Why not start a new thread & ask your question?

Message 62 of 71
Latest reply

Why not buy something expensive,at least it won’t fall apart, I live on a pension but very very rarely would buy cigs, alcohol and gambling is a no no, plus with Zippay, Afterpay etc you can now afford to buy a lot more. I mean by buying a pizza or going to Maccas once in a while is hardly extravagant.

Message 63 of 71
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:

Why not buy something expensive,at least it won’t fall apart, I live on a pension but very very rarely would buy cigs, alcohol and gambling is a no no, plus with Zippay, Afterpay etc you can now afford to buy a lot more. I mean by buying a pizza or going to Maccas once in a while is hardly extravagant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, there is sense in that michellebartley. A good item lasts longer and can be more economical in the long run.  And a pizza even though a bit extra to spend on can take the blues away.

Spoiler

A nice can of sardines or tuna for your cat at the same time would be a cool thing too.

😽  🐟

Sometimes an extra treat stops folk from going overboard next time.

Message 64 of 71
Latest reply

Buying quality is certainly better than buying cheap rubbish. I agree with you on that. That’s not to say that a more expensive item is better quality than a cheaper item, of course… because there are many higher-priced items that use their price as a marketing tactic. We’ve all seen that sort of thing!

If someone on a limited income can swing purchasing good quality items, I would never begrudge that. I do prefer the “save until you’ve got the money for it” approach because once you’ve bought an item, you can’t manoeuvre if an emergency crops up and makes the payment schedule difficult/impossible.

It is frustrating, of course, if people receiving financial support from the government use that money to drag themselves down, feed an addiction, do things that keep them trapped financially … yet in a democracy we value personal choice. There’s no perfect system, after all, much as I wish there were.

Message 65 of 71
Latest reply

etb321
Community Member

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Why do people live beyond their means, especially those on welfare?

Sure, people can spend money on whatever they want but how many times have you seen people who are supposedly struggling financially with nice phones/clothes ordering at takeaways/restaurants when they should be saving and eating at home. 

How about those who have children to feed, yet they're happy to spend their welfare money on alcohol and ciggies?

Can poor people justify spending money on non-essentials?

I occasionally go crazy and turn the heater on

Tom

Message 66 of 71
Latest reply

Advice - it's not the name - it's not the country - try giving your own a go.

20210828_083630.jpg

Let's face it - a duster - is a duster - and the Ostrich didn't suffer. lol

Message 67 of 71
Latest reply

Plastic…

I’m trying to cut it out of my life. 

9 out of 10 ostriches agree.

Message 68 of 71
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Plastic…

I’m trying to cut it out of my life. 

9 out of 10 ostriches agree.

You just got the NBN - with landline - take a look - anything other than ' plastic '.

I suppose I could have purchased an old wooden beer keg (would if I could have) - to soak - didn't think at the time - just didn't want to purchase - other than Made in Here. lol

Message 69 of 71
Latest reply

I know… I know. Plastic everywhere with the NBN, let alone with the fridge, the air purifier, so much.

It does feel like an uphill battle.

The old wooden beer keg crate would do beautifully. In today’s new-green terminology, it’d be “repurposed”!

Message 70 of 71
Latest reply