Woman Wins Right To Sterilize Self After Legal Battle

fo-trut
Community Member

Woman Wins Right To Sterilize Self After Legal Battle-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W12D43Ze_Nc

Holly Brockwell wanted to get sterilized but faced a mountain of resistance from doctors trying to block her decision. After a four year legal battle, she has finally won. "Holly Brockwell is happy to report that she isn't expecting kids — not now, and not ever. She just won a four-year legal battle with the National Health Service for the right to be sterilized.

Brockwell first asked her doctor about getting her tubes tied when she was 26 and was met with a series of patronizing comments from healthcare providers, according to The Telegraph. One doctor reportedly suggested that Brockwell's boyfriend get a vasectomy because she was "too young" to think about such a permanent birth control decision.

After speaking publicly about her choice, Brockwell was bombarded with online harassment and violent threats...

It's common for women around the world to face discrimination when they seek out permanent birth control. In 2015, 31-year-old, Virginia-based Reddit user riveramblnc shared her experience with condescending doctors and spending months on a waiting list before she could get permanent birth control.”

Your Thoughts ?

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Good on her - not everyone wants children - it's a life of sacrifice

Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Good on her - not everyone wants children - it's a life of sacrifice

I agree, her choice, but with the stipulation that I don't understand. In my opinion the rewards far outweigh the sacrifice. I also get why anyone might not want to subject a child to such a messed up world that at some point will become a curse on them. I suppose there's always adoption, but with that the experance of being pregnant is lost.

In any case her body, her choice. But I will never understand. Like being born with the most valuable thing in the world as a part of yourself, and willingly giving it up.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

That sounds a bit drastic - I hope she is properly qualified.Smiley LOL

Sorry Fo-trut, I can resist anything except temptation. 

Seriously though, I can see no reason why, at age 30 y she shouldn't have it done  if she wants it. I had a tubal ligation at that age - mind you, I had just given birth to my fifth child.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

I have to wonder how many older women wish they had never had children.....some of them turn out to be right little rotters.

It is all too common to see on the TV where ederly parents have been taken to the cleaners and then abondoned by their kids.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
I tried to get a vasectomy but as I have no children they won't do it.
Totally sucks.
It's not up to the doctor what I want to do with my body and my life.
Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

Just to play devils advocate for a minute - I imagine the medical profession would see large numbers of people wanting certain procedures one day and changing their mind the next, often requesting the procedures be reversed. At times these requests would come from people who where emotionally vulnerable at the time, due to personal issues or mental health problems. Surgical safety and patient health would also be considerations

In these cases we would expect that our health professionals would use their judgement to refuse a patient who was requesting a life changing, non urgent procedure if they considered there where other options available to achieve the same outcome. 

There are small contraceptive arm implants available that offer woman years of protection, without the costs or risks associated with invasive surgical procedures, but currently only 2 % of woman chose to use them.

Without knowing all of the facts I don't think we are in a position to instantly jump to conclusions and judge the situation, based on a brief news item.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

It would be interesting to see the figures on how many vasectomies and tubal ligations are reversed (or attempted to be reversed).  Anecdotally I have heard of several couples who have gone through IVF in an attempt to have a child following "permanent birth control".

I'm not saying they should be refused the sterilisation - or indeed that they should be refused IVF - but as Chameleon says, the medical profession would be aware of people changing their minds.

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Her business.  I don't have an issue with it

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

A LOT of people change their mind. Mostly it's due to a couple completing their family, so they take appropriate action (even in their early 20's). Then the marriage/relationship breaks down and they meet new partners. Often the new partner doesn't have kids and really wants them, so there is this desperate attempt to have their previous decision reversed and when that fails, the high expense of IVF (which in itself causes a lot of relationship breakdowns due to the high stress involved).

The success of reversal isn't overly high. Some are lucky, some aren't. The reversal procedure for both men and women is lengthy, and very painful. 1,000 times more so than when it was first done. It's major surgery as opposed to a day procedure for the intial snip. For women that have a successful reversal, the risk of ectopic increases significantly. I don't know which would be worse, not being able to fall pregnant after a reversal or being told yes, you're pregnant, but we're going to have to kill it or it will kill you.

Having said all that, I wanted a hysterectomy at 30. No-one would touch me because I hadn't had kids. I didn't want kids, but they said I may change my mind. My husband had already had a vasectomy and after seeing them being reversed, I wouldn't let him do it, even if he wanted to. I asked again aged 40 and they still said no for the above reasons. Guess what I'm having for my 50th birthday next year!

When I was growing up, I always assumed I'd get married and have kids. I think it's a normal thought for girls. As I got older, I said if I didn't have them in my early 20's, then it wasn't going to happen. It didn't happen and it's probably not a bad thing. I am a very selfish person and very intolerant. I can't tolerate disobedient kids and I refuse to accept the modern day mamby pamby method of raising kids. Basically, I'd be in jail now if I'd had kids because they would have been smacked if they were naughty. They wouldn't have been given everything they demanded. No would have meant no.

I have known plenty of people over the years who said they didn't want kids. They hit their mid 30's, the biological clock became deafening and they all now have kids. Some regret their decision, most are pleased. People change, circumstances change, life changes. Yes, there are a few people who say they don't want kids and mean it. Most say it, but then change their mind. As already mentioned, there are reliable methods of contraception that are safe for use in the long term, that can be reversed if the need arises.

The Implanon that was mentioned (the one in the arm), it stays in for 5 years. It can be removed at any time. There is also Depo Provera that is an injection every 3 months. Again, it can be stopped at any time. They are far better than the pill because you don't have to keep remembering to take it every day and you don't have to go into a panic if you've been sick or been on other short term medication that can render it useless for a few weeks.

I can totally understand any surgeons reluctance to do these procedures on younger people. After all, they're the ones that then have to turn around and spend 6-8 hours reversing it if the person changes their mind. If a female is deadly serious about not having kids, prove it by having a hysterectomy. That CAN'T be reversed. Then, if you change your mind, you have to live with the decision.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply