28 views, 4 watchers, $10 incl postage and no takers.

What do you have to do to sell stuff here? I have a top which has had 28 views in the last 10 days, has 4 watchers, costs a grand total of $10 including postage and yet no-one has bought it yet.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: 28 views, 4 watchers, $10 incl postage and no takers.

@egglesdtp wrote:

Not everyone who comes looking for clothes on ebay is after designer wear. And often they don't go up to the sizes I sell anyway e.g. sizes 18 and 20. 46 items of mainly clothing sold in the last month means someone is happy to buy Target, Suzanne Grae, Millers, Rockmans and Katies.

That's my experience with eBay and I have a fews years under the belt in the preloved clothing area.

I have dabbled in a broad range of brands on various IDs over time. 

Not everyone can get to a shop or market that stocks a range of goods for several reasons including location, time poor, caring commitments etc. 

IMO many buyers simply like the convenience of typing in black top 12 having multiple choices (not really available on any other single website to level it is on eBay) and then refining by looking for a style they like, regardless of brand.

Message 21 of 32
Latest reply

I have found that second hand clothing does much better in auction or BIN with Best Offer than it does with BIN only. I would never dream of starting a Miller's top at $10, I would probably start it at about $5.99 and be grateful If I got more than one bid. You can often pick up Miller's clothing for less than ten bucks in store brand new. For the cheaper brands I don't specify in the title so there is more chance of a buyer actually opening the listing and liking it. Target is worth mentioning though.

Although it seems insane shops sell things at one cent under the next dollar as $9.99 looks less than $10 even though everybody knows the difference is so small.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 22 of 32
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Although it seems insane shops sell things at one cent under the next dollar as $9.99 looks less than $10 even though everybody knows the difference is so small.

11.55 doesn't sound anywhere near as late as 5 to 12. The shops do it for that reason, because $9.99 looks a LOT less than $10. The silly thing is, if you only buy one, it still gets rounded up to $10 if you pay with cash.

As for the topic, I find that my items with the least amount of page views and the least amount of watchers seem to sell the quickest. The items that have the most watchers usually get relisted for not selling. Today I sold 2 items, both different buyers, both bid in the last few seconds, there was 2 pageviews on each and no watchers. Go figure!

Message 23 of 32
Latest reply

Its funny advice in a way, as the OP has sold several Millers tops for $10, so why drop the price if there are buyers out there who are prepared to that?

Message 24 of 32
Latest reply

Things seem slow at the moment, I am hoping that is because people are saving their pennies up for christmas shopping. Which has to start soon..... I hope...

Message 25 of 32
Latest reply

I have sold many Millers tops for more than $10 but they have started much lower at auction. The OP may have sold a few tops for ten bucks but with a sell through rate as low as the OP's I would certainly try something different or give up. 

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 26 of 32
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

I have sold many Millers tops for more than $10 but they have started much lower at auction. The OP may have sold a few tops for ten bucks but with a sell through rate as low as the OP's I would certainly try something different or give up. 

Its better than your sell through rate by far - even accounting for the fact that several months of the year your store and other IDs are not open in Oz and you need to rebuild each time.

Message 27 of 32
Latest reply

Take it from one of PJ's repeat buyers, we are just waiting or her to open up again....it does not take long for her slaes to be going strong again.

As for her sell through rate on her posting ID.....well it is just non-existant.  It has been at 111 for a couple of years I think.   She stopped using that ID to buy or sell so it would not change.

Message 28 of 32
Latest reply

Everything is perfect (beautifully displayed listings & photos) except for your stock which is below average and can be sourced in op shops from their sale racks for a couple of dollars.  Your need to get more unique better quality stock.

Message 29 of 32
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

I have found that second hand clothing does much better in auction or BIN with Best Offer than it does with BIN only. I would never dream of starting a Miller's top at $10, I would probably start it at about $5.99 and be grateful If I got more than one bid. You can often pick up Miller's clothing for less than ten bucks in store brand new. For the cheaper brands I don't specify in the title so there is more chance of a buyer actually opening the listing and liking it. Target is worth mentioning though.

I hear that sort of thing

And then I see myself selling millers tops for $10 every week, and being fairly happy with my sell through rate, with lowering prices on old stock periodically. 

I think people have an idea of what should work, and what should happen, but the reality is different. A lot of my sales go to country and mining towns where they cannot go down to a local shop and buy these things themselves. These people are more than happy to pay $10 for a millers top. In my experience, people don't look at the brand, people search for 'blue top, size L', and look at the pictures for a pretty one, the brand is pretty irrelevant.

As for the previous poster who says they would buy brand names and would not buy without measurements, I appreciate that, however, they need to understand that they are not nececarily representative of the majority of buyers. I don't need measurments, neither do my friends who buy on ebay. None of us care about brands. I know those people are out there, but plenty of people do not feel the same way. Don't assume your way of looking at it is representative of everyone, because my sales seem to prove otherwise. And like I said, removing measurments improved my sales in a noticable way. 

Message 30 of 32
Latest reply