5000 items Of Clothing How Much Storage Space Do I Need ?

Hi all, soon i want to have about 1000 items listed, but i am curious to know if one has about 5000 items of jeans or pants how much storage would be needed, 3 bed room house with garage or could this be stored in a self storage shed, please if anyone knows please let me know 🙂

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: 5000 items Of Clothing How Much Storage Space Do I Need ?

@gtx305 wrote:
considering the shipping cost and what people will pay for jeans these days.
Theres a reason you dont see many Aussie sellers selling them.

This is one of the reasons why. A couple of months ago on one of my infrequent trips to Bendigo, I went into BigW & saw they had some jeans on special. They were an obsure brand from Bangladesh for only $9. They fitted well so I bought 6 pairs. So far they have proven fairly tough wearing & I can see they will last a couple of years at least, so I'm happy with them.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

saarzi
Community Member
I refuse to buy jeans for more than $30 after living in NYC and getting designer brands around that price, and seeing the sweatshops they are made in in india, bangladesh and south america (they come from the same factory as every other brand!).
No more than $15 for non designer brands.
Theres no way id pay postage on top of that.

Beides that, I think the price has to be kept low on Ebay not only because they are so cheap to get elsewhere and they all look the same, but because they arent as popular these days. Most females wear jeggings now, particularly under 35's. They look exactly like jeans but cheaper and way more comfortable.

But then again, im cheap lol. Im sure people will buy them, it might just be lower profit and slower to sell?
Then again, I do get people living in weird rural areas buying stuff because they probably dont have access to larger shops.
Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

I have also learnt, when you have a large amount of items that you sell on line, you then live and breathe it when it is in your home.  Everywhere you turn around, items are there, and it is also important to separate work from home.  You need to have one room that can hold all your items, and can pack them too.  

I first used containers which were numbered for items, and stacked them on industrial shelving, so items were easily found and easy to accessible. They key is to be organised.  

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

You have been selling a reasonable number of items each month including jeans so you must have a bit of an idea what you are going into. But wow, five thousand pairs of jeans is going to take some serious industrial style storage.

I have around 2000 listings of mainly small items and currently use one room in the house and a two car garage fitted with industrial shelving. This covers the listed items. I also have a rented storage shed and a shipping container fitted with industrial shelving to store surplus unlisted items.

My suggestion would be to find out how large clothing shops, store their unsold items in the back rooms. Go to closing down sales or auctions and buy up the storage systems to fit into your shed, house or whatever you decide to use. There is a lot of thought gone into the design of these systems so why re-invent the wheel.

As others have mentioned, keeping stock organised and easily accesable is essential to running an efficient ebay business. Good luck with the business expansion.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply