Am I doing something wrong, feeling disheartened :(

Hi Guys,

Ive recently listed a few items for sale and have had no luck (I think the views have all been me). Im feeling a bit deflated, am I doing somthing wrong? Ebay sent me a message to improve my listings but I cant. I know its very competitive but any advise would be much appreciated if you have the time to have a quick look. Should I be auctioning? I just dont know, I was going to sell for a few months and then open a store but now Im seriously doubting myself. Thanking you all in advance. Amy 

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Am I doing something wrong, feeling disheartened :(

It  is hard to sell new commercial lines when you have low feedback. Do you have a bunch of cheap stuff you can auction off quickly to get your feeback count up/ Even buying a bunch of cheap items on this id will help.

you may know these as good quality but you dont have fb to prove it to cynical buyers.

It is a niche market and niche markets rely on reputation.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 21 of 37
Latest reply

Also increase font size on your description, 

I agree with PJ dont need a lot of terms and conditions, creates a defensive look. You will never cover all bases anyway.

You want to promote reasons to buy rather than not to buy.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 22 of 37
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

I certainly don't go along with the advice to keep the description short and expand the terms and conditions, IMO terms and conditions should be as short as possible, expanded under the postage and payment tab if you wish.

Nobody suggested anything like that, though.

I suggested expanding the description and including TOS, which is - for me - a catch-all phrase for information in a listing that can be included in them all as standard, basic info. I suggested reassuring statements that can be deemed TOS but in effect inspire customer confidence and lessen the need for people to message the seller with common questions, such as whether they combine postage. 

Detailing a return policy, wherever it happens to be, gives everyone a good idea of what to expect, and under what circumstances the seller will accept a return. 

A seller creating some simple, positive TOS to include in all listings isn't about setting out "rules" for buyers to (not) read, it's about conveying something - that they have taken the time to consider some common eventualities, that they are confident in their business. There is such a thing as managing customer expectations, and doing so in a positive way, without making it into a list of "do's and don'ts" for buyers, it can inspire confidence in the seller's ability to manage those expectations and therefore their business. 

Some people will not buy from a seller who has not taken the time to think about their policies, this I know for a fact.

Message 23 of 37
Latest reply

You have been a great help, thank you so much. I have so much to learn, but I am willing to try. 🙂
Message 24 of 37
Latest reply

Thanks Lyndal, I will give it a try 🙂
Message 25 of 37
Latest reply

Thank you for the encouragement tuckcase, I appreciate the help and support. I hope so too. Thanks again 🙂
Message 26 of 37
Latest reply

amyvezz,

My suggestions would be (some of which have been mentioned before)

Build up your feedback either by buying some cheap items or selling of some cheap items from around the home.

Improve your description

Incorporate the postage costs into the selling price and offer "free post"

For a small extra cost offer an express post option so buyers have the choice of regular post or express post.

Extend you return policy to 30 days and define a clear returns policy.

Your little devils tracksuit listing appears to be against ebay policy as it sounds like you are offering a choice of sizes in the listing. Each size needs to be listed separately.

Be patient - it can take a long time to become an established seller.

Be careful about how much money you invest at this early stage as there is nothing worse than putting yourself under financial pressure.

If you have more than one of each item put them up for sale on gumtree as well - a lot of people have success on there.

Message 27 of 37
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply Lane-ends

I completly agree with you, I myself would be cautious of a zero feedback. Im going to take your advise and buy a few things and also try and get a couple of cheaper items on the shelf (so to speak) the good thing is that I have time to really commit and throw myself into it. I am a bit afraid of making mistakes and getting negative feedback so if I can get it right early on obviously  I would prefer that, but I am human and in reality I cant see it being a flawless process. All the replies have been so helpful, and I do respect all you experienced sellers and know my place, hopfully one day I will be able to give advice.

Thanks again

Message 28 of 37
Latest reply

Your stock is quite adorable for littlies particularly the kitty cat ones Cat Very Happy

Mostly sensible advice from other posters IMO

Unless there is something that looks very dodgy (which your ID and listings don't look like all)  I buy from newbie sellers all the time without hesitation, as many others buyers do too. 

I agree with others, coming into Australian summer ain't the best time to be selling those costumes, but you may get some sales in the coming months from those buying to send Christmas pressies overseas Cat Happy

Message 29 of 37
Latest reply

Thanks jenmanchester-aust

I am going to change that now before my item is removed, I was offering a size range that way, thanks for the warning I will fix it right away 😞 that is great advice I can see that you are a very successful seller. I will try gum tree also. I have spent about $5000 so far, I felt this was standard, and any money made I was planing on buying more stock. I had the bank call me to say I was a victim of credit card fraud last week, somebody shouted themselves a $2500 air ticket to San Francisco on my credit card. I had only days before purchased from alibaba, I used escrow but it still happened. Fortunately I will get the money back in 5 weeks. I guess it all part of the business though but I was a little disheartened. Ive joined salehoo but I think I wasted more money there as well. I guess time and experience is the key.
Message 30 of 37
Latest reply