Am I missing something - re postage prices over 1kg?

I had a customer buy three items from me, with 2-3 books in each sale, so a total of 7 books, mostly small hardcovers.  She asked for combined postage, which I offered, and was happy to do.  Sadly, no amount of trying to combine the books to fit under 1kg total, or 2 lots of under 500gm was effective, so the cheapest option for her was in a 3kg satchel, because she's in a different state.

She was horrified.  I am frustrated that I can't get it any cheaper for her. 

So, am I missing something?   Is there a cheaper option between 1kg and 3kg when sending interstate?  

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Re: Am I missing something - re postage prices over 1kg?

kathskollection wrote:

In reply to your questions, davidc4430, the cost for each pack of books was $5.00 to post - each pack weighed over 250gm, less than 500gm.   Buyers assume that combining books will reduce the postage, but it doesn't always work that way.  I combine my books in packs to reduce postage on individual items.    I could re-arrange the books in any way to reduce the postage, and putting them all together made them weigh in at about 1.2kg.  Even if she'd be in the same state as me, I would still have had to pay more postage by sending them in 2 separate packs over 500gm.  It was a no-win situation, but she assured me she has bought ten books in one hit and paid only $5.00 postage - must be small books, coming from her own state.   ๐Ÿ˜•   

Which is why I asked the question - is there something I'm missing about postage rates over 500gm interstate?  

More than one poster has thought that the OP offers postage at $5.  

Not so.  It's the difficult buyer who's stated that obvious untruth

Message 21 of 26
Latest reply

The OP does post book bundles that only cost $5. .

Read the first para you have quoted.   

Then you may be on same page as the "other posters"  Cat Tongue

Message 22 of 26
Latest reply

Should've gone to Specsavers      shortsighted smiley.gif

Message 23 of 26
Latest reply

It's true the seller here does offer some book bundles that cost $5 to post.

The problem (as I see it) is the buyer was expecting to buy 3 of these bundles and was upset 3x$5 did not equal $5.

I know some sellers do offer 'free postage' when they bump up the cost of items to cover it, I know some do a bit of both-bump up item price/therefore subsidise a bit of the postage price. But it's a bit rugged of a buyer to expect either action from a seller who hasn't done those things in the original listing.

You can't necessarily have dirt cheap books plus subsidised postage.

Message 24 of 26
Latest reply

I use officeworks mailman for those cases, far cheaper than aus post any day

Message 25 of 26
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

It's true the seller here does offer some book bundles that cost $5 to post.

The problem (as I see it) is the buyer was expecting to buy 3 of these bundles and was upset 3x$5 did not equal $5.

I know some sellers do offer 'free postage' when they bump up the cost of items to cover it, I know some do a bit of both-bump up item price/therefore subsidise a bit of the postage price. But it's a bit rugged of a buyer to expect either action from a seller who hasn't done those things in the original listing.

You can't necessarily have dirt cheap books plus subsidised postage.

Never said there wasn't a problem springy.  I understand the information in the OP.

That being said I also think it is not unusual for buyers to expect discounted post when they buy multiple items.  Whilst the OP appears to have no wriggle room in their pricing to oblige, and the buyer should have enquired prior to purchasing - don't think the buyers behaviour is particularly unusual for this marketplace.   

Message 26 of 26
Latest reply