Am I missing something - re postage prices over 1kg?

I had a customer buy three items from me, with 2-3 books in each sale, so a total of 7 books, mostly small hardcovers.  She asked for combined postage, which I offered, and was happy to do.  Sadly, no amount of trying to combine the books to fit under 1kg total, or 2 lots of under 500gm was effective, so the cheapest option for her was in a 3kg satchel, because she's in a different state.

She was horrified.  I am frustrated that I can't get it any cheaper for her. 

So, am I missing something?   Is there a cheaper option between 1kg and 3kg when sending interstate?  

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

So, am I missing something? 

Probably not. Some people's glass is always half empty.

7 books for 13.40 postage, that's 1.90 per book. Sheesh, great value IMO.

image host
Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

she got a bargain!!
Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Ask her if she wants some cheese with that whine

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

Perhaps mention to the buyer that you could remove the final chapter from each book (& then they will weigh under 1kg).

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

what was the cost to post before combining?

so how much did she save by buying the 7 together as against seperately?

what exactly did the 7 books weigh without wrapping?

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

In reply to your questions, davidc4430, the cost for each pack of books was $5.00 to post - each pack weighed over 250gm, less than 500gm.   Buyers assume that combining books will reduce the postage, but it doesn't always work that way.  I combine my books in packs to reduce postage on individual items.    I could re-arrange the books in any way to reduce the postage, and putting them all together made them weigh in at about 1.2kg.  Even if she'd be in the same state as me, I would still have had to pay more postage by sending them in 2 separate packs over 500gm.  It was a no-win situation, but she assured me she has bought ten books in one hit and paid only $5.00 postage - must be small books, coming from her own state.   😕   

Which is why I asked the question - is there something I'm missing about postage rates over 500gm interstate?  

As for everyone else, thanks, I needed the laugh today - said with all honesty - you all made me laugh out loud. 🙂   And restored some perspective.  

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

Tried to edit, but wouldn't let me.   She saved $1.00 in postage, because I charged her $14.00 to cover a satchel and bubble wrap, instead of $15.00 if I'd sent them in three parcels.     She is now opting to cancel the order, which is her call, so that's fine.  

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

So, ok  only a small saving.

But gee wizz to cancel the order based on basic AP postal charges, she obviously doesn't have a clue.

Keep up the good work Kath. Smiley Happy

image host
Message 10 of 26
Latest reply