Am I obliged.....

Buyer wasn't happy with purchase. Sent me an email with foul language. Sent another email 3 hours later saying "I hope you're not ignoring me", which I wasn't, I was working. I emailed him as soon as I got home, arranged a prepaid postage label and emailed it saying I would refund when item was received back.

now just got the following email

"I want you to refund the money tomorrow when you receive the parcel. (Tomorrow was underlined and in bold)

I've sent it back EXPRESS."

now given he he has refused to use my paid shipping label to ret urn the item, am I obliged to pay his express post.... I don't think I should as I've already paid for the return shipping. I don't really like being dictated to either, nor was impress with his language.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Am I obliged.....

No, the buyer needs to learn the procedures of eBay.

There is a very good chance you won't receive the item tomorrow.

Don't refund until item is received.

(sounds like you have a real jerk)

image host
Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Am I obliged.....

I wonder if you can cancel the shipping label?

I never use shipping labels, so I don't know what the procedure might be.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

Am I obliged.....

I found this procedure for cancelling a label:

Here’s how to void a shipping label -

Click My eBay near the top of the page.

Click Sold on the left side of the page.

Click More actions.

Click View order details.

Click Void shipping label near the bottom of the Order details page.

Select your reason for voiding the label.

Enter a message to the buyer, and then click Void shipping label.

We send you a "Shipment void confirmation" email after you void the shipping label.

( It's from 2013, but may still be useful)

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

Am I obliged.....

The label has to be cancelled within 5 days 

• If you haven't used a postage label, you can cancel it within 5 days of creating and printing the label.

• Under the Manage postage labels section of My eBay, select the Cancel postage label option.

• If your cancellation request is approved, you'll receive a credit for postage and related charges within 25 days. The credit will be shown on your Seller Account, and on the following eBay monthly invoice.

Note:
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

Am I obliged.....

No, you won't have to refund the return shipping.

When you get the item back, you are only given an option to refund the original purchase amount (item + original shipping).  When you refund the case will close automatically and there is no reopening it.

The return shipping needs to be agreed beforehand.  Ebay will only enforce what was agreed in ebay messages.  This is a good protection for sellers, as buyers can't just go ahead and use platinum A-grade special express couriers and expect a full reimbursement.

So ebay will see that you sent a return label, it was refused, that will be the end of the matter.  If he kicks up enough stink he might be able to get ebay to refund the postage out of their own pocket, but it won't cost you.  If you think paying the return post might avoid a neg then that's another matter, but that seems doubtful from you description.

In the meantime, the other label can be voided but it usually takes a while. 

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Am I obliged.....

Thanks everyone.

the buyer didn't open a dispute, I just agreed to the return to avoid any hassles. Either way I'm sure I'll cop a neg.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Am I obliged.....

Keep the abusive messages and call ebay to remove the neg (if it comes)

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Am I obliged.....

Oh well, even better.  There's no chance of the buyer claiming return post if it's outside the MBG process, and ebay will remove any negs related to it if he mentions it in the comments. Let's hope he does.  Home free

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Am I obliged.....

once you get the item back add the buyer to your blocked list

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply