Anyone here qualifies for Australia Post parcel discounts?

Make sending mighty easy with MyPost Business

Access savings on parcel sending. Save time by paying for postage online and printing your own labels.

• Save up to 15% on parcel sending, eligibility criteria apply
  • Pay for and print your own postage labels
  • Get parcels picked up from your home or office
  • Automatically track parcels and share tracking info
  • Create labels in bulk from eBay or your online store
  • Get 24/7 live chat support* and more...

That's what is says on https://auspost.com.au/mypost-business

I don't have an ABN (yet) but I already post at least 5 parcels a week (not including large letters) so qualify in that regard. I have a few questions though.

1. Do I have to print my own postage labels? I need to go to the Australia Post Office anyway. I don't need nor want them to come to my house or office (assuming I'm even there, which I'm not).
  2. How and where do I get the discount?
  3. How does Australia Post track how many parcels I send a week?
  4. Does the Australia Post "MyPost" card have anything do with anything (for example, tracking how many parcels I send each time)?

If you can answer my questions or if you have any useful information I would appreciate it.

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Maybe one of the sellers that contributed to this thread might come along shortly

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Selling/Why-does-postage-cost-10-more-on-Ebay/m-p/2102026/highlight...

Message 2 of 49
Latest reply

That's weird. I have a business acoount with AusPost  for 4 years and most weeks I posted more than 5 parcels. Never seen any discount on parcel rates. Letters rates are a bit cheaper though but that's only for letters.

If they offer this discount why they are not willing to apply it automatically?  Also I have just logged in into my account with AusPost and there is nothing about this discount.

I also have eParcel account but because I lost a lot in sales a lot over the last two years I post now less than 1000 parcels a year through eParcel. However in most weeks it is still more than 5 per week through eParcel but my eParcel rates are only going up for me

I wil try to give them a call as it is all very strange that they offer up to 15% discount for just regular parcels and yet they do not give any automatically for a business acoount holder and increase their rates for eParcel for a business that still post more than 260 parcels a year.

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 3 of 49
Latest reply

Hi there,  I get Discount on  MyPost Business,   No Business or ABN required.

Yes you print your own labels, but you can use just a standard printer and paper.

Discount  is applied at time of online payment.

Austalia Post can keep track  of  How many items you are sending, via online account

MyPost card is not required, as it is all done via online account.

You can book a pickup (if service available - Extra Cost)  or Opt to post it yourself

Message 4 of 49
Latest reply

@thegaminggamer wrote:

1. Do I have to print my own postage labels? I need to go to the Australia Post Office anyway. I don't need nor want them to come to my house or office (assuming I'm even there, which I'm not).
  4. Does the Australia Post "MyPost" card have anything do with anything (for example, tracking how many parcels I send each time)?

If you can answer my questions or if you have any useful information I would appreciate it.

I have a My Post business account, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who would qualify.

You don't have to print your own labels unless you want to use flat rate pricing, which is cheaper more often than not (sometimes significantly) - if you do print them, they are 4 to a page for domestic parcels (standard post and express post are printed on separate pages, which is kind of ok in that at least it allows you to print the normal ones in black and white, and only the express ones in colour to save on ink costs). If you take an addressed package into the PO and get them to scan the QR code provided to you, the discount will be applied to the postage you pay there. (If you send internationally, and print the pabel online, it takes two full printed pages per package, with two labels per page - two go on the parcel, one is a customs copy, one goes to Aus post, and one is to keep). 

The discount is applied on your account, and when you create a label, the price shown and paid will include the discount - the number of parcels you send is tracked via your My Post account. 

Your My Post card isn't related to a My Post discount in any way (once approved, they will send you an email with a QR code image. I saved the image to my phone, and the staff just scan it from there to apply a discount if I'm paying for postage over the counter). Your account is connected / identified by the QR code, so they track those in order to determine your discount level as well.

I was on the top tier of discounts just before Christmas (15% discount) so was only paying $6.76 per 500g parcel (own packaging, which is cheaper than flat rate for 500g parcels) - many sellers I know on eParcel contracts have to pay more than that Smiley Surprised , and even 500g parcels over a certain size will be cubed and they end up paying through the nose for it (so a lot of them will just use pre-paid satchels etc for 500g parcels because of this). On this program, though, you could send something with the maximum allowable dimensions and still pay the normal 500g rate. 

Extra cover is also discounted, so it will only cost you $1 per $100 of extra cover, as opposed to the normal $1.50 on domestic parcels. I'm back down to the second tier discount as my volume dropped a bit after Christmas, but on this one I still get a discount on economy international services, which is very welcome ($13.87 for a 500g parcel to the US, with full proof of lodgement at least, via the self-service terminals - occasionally this is stll tracked in the US).

The only thing I don't use My Post for is BX boxes - they are significantly cheaper vie eBay, even after a discount has been applied via My post. 

Message 5 of 49
Latest reply

It's like when you want to leave a power company to go to another. Suddenly they have this amazing discount program to put on your account as a way to keep you. They didn't do it automatically because a) they want to maximise their profit and b) it gives them leverage should you call to complain about something or ask for a better deal.
Message 6 of 49
Latest reply

My local PO had a rep come and visit me as they wanted me to go onto the programme. We went through all of the numbers and by the time I buy my satchels in bulk lots of 100, I wouldnt really gain any extra discount by going onto the system.

I use a seperate dedicated credit card for all of my postage costs which provides my tax records and keeps everything very simple. This has tidied the postage side of my business up, without being tied to any one company or service provider..

Message 7 of 49
Latest reply

@transport-posters wrote:
It's like when you want to leave a power company to go to another. Suddenly they have this amazing discount program to put on your account as a way to keep you. They didn't do it automatically because a) they want to maximise their profit and b) it gives them leverage should you call to complain about something or ask for a better deal.

You are probably right. I have just had a chat with guys in my local post office and we have come to the same conclusion remembering that mobile carries will do exactly the same..

Decoroo - Custom made wooden products
Message 8 of 49
Latest reply

1. @thegaminggamer wrote:

Make sending mighty easy with MyPost Business

Access savings on parcel sending. Save time by paying for postage online and printing your own labels.

• Save up to 15% on parcel sending, eligibility criteria apply
    • Pay for and print your own postage labels
    • Get parcels picked up from your home or office
    • Automatically track parcels and share tracking info
    • Create labels in bulk from eBay or your online store
    • Get 24/7 live chat support* and more...

That's what is says on https://auspost.com.au/mypost-business

I don't have an ABN (yet) but I already post at least 5 parcels a week (not including large letters) so qualify in that regard. I have a few questions though.

3. If you can answer my questions or if you have any useful information I would appreciate it.

OK. that was timely. I just went to the PO to do my mailing and the manager wanted a word. It turns out AP have introduced a new or completely revamped mypostbusiness service. PO managers have been off to courses in the last couple of weeks and are keen to sign people up to the new system.

Basically there are three tiers of customer, with the discounts of 5%, 10% and 15% on parcel postage rates, depending on how many parcels you post over time. You need to sign up for and use a mypost card for your transactions. This tracks your parcel postage levels over six week periods and asigns the discount based on this progressive six week period. I,m not sure if the discount applies to items as mailed or wether your account is credited with the discount after the 6 weeks. You can still mail parcels over the PO counter as per normal and they can print the label also as per normal.

The discounts also apply on top of the regular discounts for buying satchels in bulk lots of ten or one hundred, making these substantially cheaper.

All up it sounds interesting and as much as I hate changing anything, I might give it a try. 

Message 9 of 49
Latest reply

Looks like the PO managers advice was not quite right. The tiers are 10% for minimum 5 parcels per week, 12.5 % for minimum 10 parcels per week and 15% for minimum 20 parcels per week.

This information came from the AP mypost website.

While it looks like it might take awhile to sort out exactly how it all works, it actually sounds pretty good and definately worth a look.

search auspost.com.au/mypostbusiness for further info.

Message 10 of 49
Latest reply