Australia Post price increase - period of grace?

Is anyone aware if there is a "period of grace" after 4 January, where the old letter rates will be accepted without the recipient being charged for underpaid postage?  In the past there has been an "unwritten period of grace", sometimes two weeks or a month.

This is the case where you drop a pre-stamped letter into a red post box.  Of course once you approached the post office counter, the latest postage would be charged.

Happy New Year and thank you for all the very helpful "inside advice".

Message 1 of 193
Latest reply
192 REPLIES 192

Re: Australia Post price increase - period of grace?

The 60c could have come into it if hypersales2001 was posting as a large letter with the old postage of $1.40. Each large letter would have been 60c shy of the new $2 for between 5mm and 20mm and under 125g.

I'm just glad I listened to the postmaster at my LPO. I don't think hypersales has a leg to stand on because there was nothing in writing. If head office asked that staff member they would deny it, then it would become a case of he said she said.

As I said in one of my earlier posts in this thread, it's OK for a PO staff member to say it's OK to post at the old rate, it doesn't mean the sorting centre feels the same way.....or anyone else who handles the mail along the way.

I do hope hypersales comes back with an update down the track.

Message 171 of 193
Latest reply

But Joe, the font of all wisdom, said...

Message 172 of 193
Latest reply

@cathyjoyjoy wrote:

Basically, the price went up on Monday - there's probably a period of grace - but it's not official - so we don't know when AP would start charging underpaid postage (which for sellers means a delay in items reaching buyers + buyer being charged extra !!!).

As is often the case;  ask one AP staff and they'll say "sure you can drop letters in red boxes at the old rate no problem for about 10 days/2 weeks" - ask another AP staff and you'll probably get a different story.

My conclusion is - seller beware.

With so many other opportunities for a transaction to go awry, why add another opportunity.

cathy posted this very earlier on in this thread.  What a wise post it has ended up being.

cathy, you are a gem!

Message 173 of 193
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

But Joe, the font of all wisdom, said...

Yes, yes he did............politician-smiley-emoticon

Message 174 of 193
Latest reply

........ the underpaid items they were charging me for were lodged, .........

If you lodged the items together over the counter or even bundled together in a red post box, that would certainly draw attention to an underpayment.  It seems everything people have been told and responses here indicate that it is only individual letter items placed in a red box that may not get charged underpayment.

Message 175 of 193
Latest reply

Good move - me too!

Message 176 of 193
Latest reply

ON THE ABC 7-30 REPORT RECENTLY, MALCOLM TURNBULL EXPLAINED WHY AN INCREASE TO $1 DOLLAR FOR A POSTAGE STAMP WAS NECESSARY.

HE NEVER MENTIONED ANY THING ABOUT THIS EYE OPENER...

Australia Post
Australia Post is a totally government owned entity and has been for about 200 years.

Recently, Australia Post announced the loss of 900 jobs, being part of a cut back program.

This is due to the decline in letters beings sent - largely due to email.

The CEO of Australia Post is Ahmed Fahour who was born in Lebanon and came to Australia in 1970.

In 2009, during the rein of Labor and PM Kevin Rudd, he was made Managing Director and CEO of Australia Post.

His salary package last year was A$4.8 million!!!!!

The top public servants in Canberra have salaries of between $665,600 and $844,800 so how does the bloke in charge of the Post Office received $4.8 million?

The Prime Minister of Australia earns a modest $507,000 considering the real burdens of office. The US President earns US$550,000 (A$757,000). The highest paid Mayor in Australia - Gold Coast City - brings in $225,000!!!

So, how on earth can the Post Office justify the massive pay of their CEO?.

Let's look further. The head of the US Postal Service with 19 times more staff and 11 times more revenue than Australia Post receives $550,000.

In France the head of their post office was paid $1.1 million with a staff compliment of 268,000 employees.

How can the CEO of the Post Office earn so much, especially when the postal service is bleeding money from letter delivery. No employee is worth A$4.8 million a year and especially not from a government owned business.
It gets worse - - -

The top ten executives in Australia Post combined earn around $20 million last year.

No matter what perspective is taken, with a loss of 900 jobs, how can A$20 million be justified for 10 'execs'!!!!

But, the salary rort is only half the story!!!

Of his A$4.8 million, Fahour donated A$2 million to the Islamic Museum of Australia (located in Melbourne).

This is a tax deductible donation, so WE TAXPAYERS are supporting the payment.

The founder and director of the Islamic Museum is Moustafa Fahour - yes, Ahmed's brother!!!!!

Moustafa's wife, Maysaa, is the chairwoman and Director.
And Fahour's sister, Samira El Khafir, manages the restaurant on site.

And, OUR letters will cost A$1 so this family can live the 'good' life!!!!!!

There is an unpleasant and some would say 'sinister' unbalanced agenda in Australia, which in the end preys on the average citizen, we the people.
We are no longer the lucky country and we are no longer wealthy and this particular game of 'Post Office rort' reveals some major fractures and faults on a number fronts in our society and culture.

Who is running the Country, who is pulling the levers and who is going to win?

We the Mugs certainly don’t look to be winners, - at this moment..... But we MUST make a stand against this rort. Australia Post was a service that we had lost. It is big now big business where the profit goes into private pockets.
The next election is around the corner.
Please pass this on. Please send it to your Federal Member of Parliament.

Message 177 of 193
Latest reply

All of that info is very old news.

Have you been living under a rock?

Message 178 of 193
Latest reply

I'm curious as to how many threads this same cut and paste is going to feature in? It's bordering on spam now.

Message 179 of 193
Latest reply

And it's always good to have a rant with incorrect info on your selling id

Shower caps for $26?!!

I actually think it's bordering on muslim bashing

Message 180 of 193
Latest reply