Bidders Not Buying

I'm having issues selling a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge on eBay.

I put up the listing, then the winning bidder messaged me with "Hay im so sorry i have already won one before this one can sell this to someone eles".

Annoyed, I cancelled the order and relisted it, then the winning bidder of the second listing message me saying "So sorry I thought it was $100", then when asked if s/he was going to pay, s/he replied with "No sorry too much screen cracked ".

What can I do with these two buyers, and how can I prevent this from happening again? Am I gaining more fees for these listings? Should I relist it a third time?

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Bidders Not Buying

Regarding fee loss...
If you either cancel or open/close an Unpaid Item Dispute (UID) then your Final Value Fees (FVF) should be credited.
The downside side of going the cancellation route is that you pass control to the buyer as they have to accept the cancellation. If they don't then you have to wait 10 days for it to time out, at which point your FVF will be credited. Also with cancellation you are still open to bad feedback being left by the buyer which you would have to plead a case with eBay to have removed.
If you use the UID process once it is closed the buyer cannot leave feedback, and if they happen to before you close it eBay will readily remove it.
Also with the UID the seller retains all control as it's up to you when to open and when to close it.
So IMHO always better to go the UID route unless you are convinced the buyer is very genuine.
Message 11 of 18
Latest reply

"Always better to go the unpaid item route"...

Unless the buyer decides to pay, you post it but the buyer doesn't collect it and it gets returned, or they trash it so they can claim it wasn't as described and you end up having to refund AND pay for return postage. Some buyers would do this just to get revenge.
Message 12 of 18
Latest reply

I have to say that in the 7+ years we have been trading and in all the UPI cases we've opened/closed we've never had a buyer be this vindictive when they have paid and we've mailed after we've opened up a case.

If we've mailed it out after they paid then all has gone well, even in some cases receiving POS FB from them.

Further to this too....

It seems the the number of UPI cases have declined markedly in the past 12-months. It's very rare now that we have to resort to a UPI any more.

Message 13 of 18
Latest reply

Good to see that ur still on ebay clarry,it looked like you we're going to shut down last year,things going ok for u?

Message 14 of 18
Latest reply

@countessalmirena I haven't relisted it, fair enough on your suggestion. It's definitely frustrating, as I'm selling the phone to save funds. (Long story short, long-distance partner has a pet overseas we're moving to Australia, need a lot of funds.)

@kollector18 I cancelled the first one based on "buyer requests cancellation", yes. The second I haven't dealt with, that's why I posted here to see the responses I'd get - I'm not going to cancel this one this time, I'll file an Unpaid Item Dispute.

@clarry100 I cancelled the first one because the buyer apologized profusely to me, and I'm a compassionate person, so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. The second canceller, not so much, given that they'd previously recognized that it was $150 but then cancelled with the reason that they thought that it was $100. That's why I'll go down the UID path.

Message 15 of 18
Latest reply

@clarry100 wrote:

I have to say that in the 7+ years we have been trading and in all the UPI cases we've opened/closed we've never had a buyer be this vindictive when they have paid and we've mailed after we've opened up a case.

If we've mailed it out after they paid then all has gone well, even in some cases receiving POS FB from them.

Further to this too....

It seems the the number of UPI cases have declined markedly in the past 12-months. It's very rare now that we have to resort to a UPI any more.

I've seen on the boards where a few buyers have been quite vindictive when a seller wouldn't cancel for them.  There wouldn't be many who'd do that but non-payers and scammers are probably a lot worse now than even 12 months ago.  I've had immediate payment forced on me so I get no non-payers now but I get the odd one still ask me to cancel.  I think in all my time selling I've only ever had one person pay after I opened a non-payment case.

Message 16 of 18
Latest reply

UPI's can't leave feedback and if you block them they can't buy again.

It's when you cancel that they can leave feedback.

Message 17 of 18
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

UPI's can't leave feedback and if you block them they can't buy again.

It's when you cancel that they can leave feedback.

I know that.  I was talking about the buyers who end up paying in order to avoid getting a strike.  Many of them are getting to know quite well how the system works and will go to great lengths to avoid having to be responsible for their actions.

Message 18 of 18
Latest reply