Buyer used laptop for 179 days, now want a refund

Long story short, sold a $1500 laptop 179 days ago to a buyer. They want to return it, I said no way, so they filed a paypal dispute and escalated the claim on the 179th day. They got all sorts of excuses, I didn't know the laptop was bought for a 16 year old. Sigh...

Trouble is I have closed that paypal account a while ago. when I switched from sole trader. I can't even log in to respond to their claim. Paypal says if I don't respond with in 10 days they will refund the buyer. I emailed paypal with my side of the story about two days ago. Paypal today send anther email requesting information or will hold my funds.

What should I do? The paypal account was closed before the dispute was filed and since the transaction happened so long ago, Australia post probably don't even have tracking info left. I can't even find the tracking number now... probably have to dig up old receipts...

Will paypal take money from my bank account or credit card if the dispute is ruled to buyer's favour? As I said I can't even login to my old paypal account and respond to this ridiculous claim.

Message 1 of 49
Latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: Buyer used laptop for 179 days, now want a refund

Thanks all for helping. Be careful and happy ebaying. 180 days is ridiculous for some items.
Message 21 of 49
Latest reply

All the best and it's ridiculous on any item

Message 22 of 49
Latest reply

Paypal's intention with the 180 days was to give cover to people who bought from sellers who clearly said the item had a warranty but of course didn't want to know if anthing went wrong after 45 days.

In this case it is clearly somebody trying to get a brand new computer, they have probably filled the original one with so much junk and suspect programs that it is vertualy unusable.

I would call Paypal and explain that the buyer has had the computer repaired which you have proof of so it is not as it was received and that anyway their claim is spurious.

If they continue to say they are going to refund the buyer tell them you will be referring the matter to the Financial Ombudsman.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 23 of 49
Latest reply

Another reason i stopped selling on greedbay....Greedbay/paypal give (gave) buyers all the rights and stuff you the seller..

PS...good luck trying to ring paypal..Last time i did (2 times) was on hold for 35 mins and 40 mins and gave up...This was cause my bank transfer to paypal didnt show up for weeks..

Message 24 of 49
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

According to their policy a buyer must request a return no later than 30 days after the actual (or latest estimated)

delivery date, or, if the seller's return window is longer, within the return window to to lodge a claim,(there is no

mention anywhere of 180 day).

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Message 25 of 49
Latest reply

http://forum.freeadvice.com/online-purchases-sales-87/question-about-new-paypal-policy-609552.html

I did a quick google, found that link, interesting read, but i think it applys to usa, but some usefull info in it.
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 26 of 49
Latest reply

That's is right tazz for the ebay return policy it's 30 days but not the PayPal return policy which is 180 days

Message 27 of 49
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Apart from the very obvious advice that Digi has given you to ring paypal I have nothing to add but would love to know what excuses he has used and why the age of the user makes a difference?

Not sure if this clause in the Paypal Buyer Protection Policy is relevant but it could be worth investigating.

Eligibility

3.7 To be eligible to use our Services you must:

1. Live in Australia;
  2. Be capable of forming a legally binding contract; and
  3. Hold a valid email address.

And be either:

1. A body corporate registered in Australia;
  2. A partnership;
  3. An Australian government body;
  4. An association; or
  5. An individual who is at least 18 years old.
Message 28 of 49
Latest reply

Having been a buyer who has been sold fake goods and having had them arrive close to the 45 days and then having the seller ignore the emails until the deadline passed, the PP 180 days is a very handy stick for me now to ensure people who sell fake goods on eBay have to take them back or refund.

In this circumstance, it is an abuse of process, and I encourge you to fight it. Especially as I have a laptop or two I might try to sell and I'd prefer PP took the side of sellers in the cases of used laptops.

Message 29 of 49
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

According to their policy a buyer must request a return no later than 30 days after the actual (or latest estimated)

delivery date, or, if the seller's return window is longer, within the return window to to lodge a claim,(there is no

mention anywhere of 180 day).

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Unfortunately tazz, that relates to eBay's MBG. The buyer in this instance has lodged their claim with Paypal which does indeed have a 180 day cut-off period...

S12.1j   You file a dispute in the PayPal Resolution Centre within 180 calendar days of the transaction and, in the event that the dispute remains unresolved, escalate the dispute to a claim within 20 calendar days of the date you filed the dispute;

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#Buyer_Protection_Policy

Message 30 of 49
Latest reply