Buyer wants to cancel - Item posted

On my selling account I have just received a message from my buyer to say their computer was hacked and they did not purchase the item in question & that when it arrives they will be returning it.

I posted the item earlier today & marked it as sent after I arrived home. It's a large letter, so no tracking!!

What's my best option here, obviously I can't cancel as it's been posted.

I haven't replied to my buyer yet!!

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Buyer wants to cancel - Item posted

I would be VERY suprosed indeed if this person is anything but a scammer trying their luck

Once this is sorted, I would be adding them to your blocked bidders list

Message 11 of 27
Latest reply

as sparklz has said, you can ask eBay to read the message they sent you.

You can call eBay about the transaction, and in the spirit of full disclosure you would need to tell eBay that the member has informed you that there was unauthorised use of their account.  Then, you ask eBay to read the message in your inbox.  This way you are not asking eBay to read messages in their account.  You can then ask that eBay note that this transaction is questionable and that they should get further details from the buyer.

If eBay then contact the buyer it may well put the wind up the buyer and they may back down.  It depends on the $ amount the transaction is worth.  I am assuming it is not too great an amount as you sent as untracked large letter, and the buyer may think it isn’t actually worth the bother over a low cost item.

The risk they face if they continue with maintaining their account was hacked is that eBay may scrutinise their account activity and look for other questionable activity, including reading their messages to see if they have pulled this stunt on other sellers.

Message 12 of 27
Latest reply

I am just finding it hard to believe that a so-called Hacker would purchase something  and send it to the account holder, there would simply be no point in this.

Message 13 of 27
Latest reply

Especially something 'small' enough to be sent as a large letter

You don't have pranksters sending a person one pizza ...........................

Message 14 of 27
Latest reply

I am having the same problem right now, scammer opened a PayPal case, PayPal asked for tracking details (which they already had) but I sent them a screenshot of AP's website which showed DELIVERED nevertheless. PayPal has been reviewing it for 2 days now. I rang PayPal and they said I have nothing to worry about because I have tracking, but then why take so long?

So are they saying it wasn't delivered, despite it being marked as delivered? Still delivered to the account holder? Maybe I'm not getting it, how can a buyer (who claims they didn't buy because their account is hacked) but received the item, be making complaints against the Seller? Hackers usually clear out your bank account, not buy items for you. Or am I totally missing something here, please enlighten me.

Message 15 of 27
Latest reply

I'm not sure how to insert a quote by another poster on here, please let me know how to do that correctly.  Many thanks.

Message 16 of 27
Latest reply

wrote:

I rang PayPal and they said I have nothing to worry about because I have tracking, but then why take so long?

I can't answer the question, only tell you it's pretty normal. Quite often cases will take around 10 days to resolve, whether you respond immediately with the required info or not. 

After a case I had was found in the buyer's favour after a long wait, the message from PayPal was that they couldn't verify the postage information I'd provided. I know it's all automated and a canned message, but it made me wonder if they seek to verify the data through other means, which might add some time on to cases. 

They may also be obliged to provide a specific period for new evidence to be entered in to the claim. 

Message 17 of 27
Latest reply

wrote:

I'm not sure how to insert a quote by another poster on here, please let me know how to do that correctly.  Many thanks.

When you hit the Reply button and the window opens you will see a blue button with quote in it on the top right hand corner.

Hit that and the full post will appear.  If you only want a small portion of the original post just delete what you don't want.

Message 18 of 27
Latest reply

wrote:

In the reply box, top right - big blue button says Quote

edit: too slow.

But what's happened to the quote?   We're only getting @

Message 19 of 27
Latest reply

Some of you aren't even getting the @ Stawks.....just wrote.

Message 20 of 27
Latest reply