Buyer wants to cancel - Item posted

On my selling account I have just received a message from my buyer to say their computer was hacked and they did not purchase the item in question & that when it arrives they will be returning it.

I posted the item earlier today & marked it as sent after I arrived home. It's a large letter, so no tracking!!

What's my best option here, obviously I can't cancel as it's been posted.

I haven't replied to my buyer yet!!

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

@etronika wrote:

On my selling account I have just received a message from my buyer to say their computer was hacked and they did not purchase the item in question & that when it arrives they will be returning it.

I posted the item earlier today & marked it as sent after I arrived home. It's a large letter, so no tracking!!

What's my best option here, obviously I can't cancel as it's been posted.

I haven't replied to my buyer yet!!

very strange that their computer was hacked BUT they expect that the item will arrive at their place Smiley Frustrated

Must have been purchased by someone else in the family (or the family cat).

I’d reply with:

”Seeing as your account has been compromised I will report your account to eBay as having been hacked.  Do not panic, eBay will probably freeze your account to prevent further unauthorised purchases”.

Then, wait and see what their reply is.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

Don't you just love the bs excuses!! 😂😂😂😂

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

further to my previous reply, you could follow up on the message you send with:

”Good news.  I have been talking to some friends of mine and they tell me that when an account is reported as being hacked that ALL accounts that use the same internet connection are also frozen.  This is because when a computer is hacked ALL the eBay and PayPal accounts in that household are at risk.  At least all the accounts used by your family will be secured through being frozen.

Alternatively, if you were saying that another family member purchased on your account without your knowledge then let me know so I can change my report to eBay”

This might just get an admission that the account was not hacked, but that someone known to them used their account.  Then, use any eBay messages in dealing with any case opened for a refund.

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

I am having the same problem right now, scammer opened a PayPal case, PayPal asked for tracking details (which they already had) but I sent them a screenshot of AP's website which showed DELIVERED nevertheless. PayPal has been reviewing it for 2 days now. I rang PayPal and they said I have nothing to worry about because I have tracking, but then why take so long?

In my opinion, if it's tracked you are covered by everybody's Seller Protection, but if it's untracked you may as well refund when they open a case as you will lose any ebay/PP case anyway.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

Another option that might work - is if when they received the item, they NOT open the letter and write return to sender on the letter.  Potentially you might be down on the cost of postage - but just depends on what the cost of the item is.  

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

Silly question, but isn't it their problem? You haven't done anything wrong, so why should you have to deal with any of this? You cannot be responsible for their account being hacked.  Another point, would a hacker have it sent to the legitimate address?  Sounds like a family member is responsible or it is a change of mind.  I would just send a message telling them you cannot be held responsible, do not return item and see what happens. If they do return it, that is their loss, I wouldn't refund.  I doubt if they could open any claim against you via eBay.

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

wrote:

Silly question, but isn't it their problem? You haven't done anything wrong, so why should you have to deal with any of this? You cannot be responsible for their account being hacked.  Another point, would a hacker have it sent to the legitimate address?  Sounds like a family member is responsible or it is a change of mind.  I would just send a message telling them you cannot be held responsible, do not return item and see what happens. If they do return it, that is their loss, I wouldn't refund.  I doubt if they could open any claim against you via eBay.

Mine opened a PP case against me. I asked PP that exact question "Why is it my problem. Their account got hacked, too bad!". PP answered something generic like "That is why we're investigating". I also asked PP why did they ask me for tracking details when the much sought after tracking details are already uploaded to PP as soon as I printed shipping label. Again, they mumbled something about procedure.

My original reply to my scammer via ebay was that she should contact the police as a crime had occurred. Never heard anything back from her, she just opened a PP case right after that. I hope PP asks for a police report.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

very strange that their computer was hacked BUT they expect that the item will arrive at their place Smiley Frustrated

Must have been purchased by someone else in the family (or the family cat).

I’d reply with:

”Seeing as your account has been compromised I will report your account to eBay as having been hacked.  Do not panic, eBay will probably freeze your account to prevent further unauthorised purchases”.

Then, wait and see what their reply is.

I like that idea k1000...  Can you actually report a hacked account? and if so how do you go about it.. I reckon this buyer waited 'till the item was posted to send this message & will file an INR. Cat Sad

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

Follow the prompts to call ebay and ask them to read the messages between you so they can see what they have said.

I doubt they will put in an item not received dispute after claiming the account was hacked as all ready stated a hacker would want the item sent to them not the address of the account holder or why purchase it.

They may well wait and see if it has tracking on arrival and say it never arrived to return it.

But as they have in writing of being hacked report their account and make sure ebay read the messages so if they do try an INR you can call ebay and go from there.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply