Buyers Feedback Hidden???

Just noticed for the first time when checking on a buyers feedback, all feedback is "Hidden" with a message that the "This person has requested that their feedback be hidden"  ???

The buyer has around 95% feedback rate and I can see there is 1 neg, of course not sure why, as I cannot see the feedback!

How is this allowed??

I often check on buyers when sending low cost items without tracking and then make up my mind whether to Register the item, depending if they have feedback from Sellers eg Item not received, requested refund.

How can Ebay justify being able to hide feedback???

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

imastawka
Honored Contributor

They must have been a seller in the last 12 months to get a neg.

As a buyer, you can't get neg fb

If you have private fb, you can't sell.

If they have paid, then their private feedback doesn't matter.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

@helenm777 wrote:

Just noticed for the first time when checking on a buyers feedback, all feedback is "Hidden" with a message that the "This person has requested that their feedback be hidden"  ???

The buyer has around 95% feedback rate and I can see there is 1 neg, of course not sure why, as I cannot see the feedback!

How is this allowed??

I often check on buyers when sending low cost items without tracking and then make up my mind whether to Register the item, depending if they have feedback from Sellers eg Item not received, requested refund.

How can Ebay justify being able to hide feedback???

I think sellers should be able to block any person with private feedback - as the feedback that is left for sellers by buyers is important in some sellers decision making as you have indicated.   Particulary those sending by letter post.

eBay falicates fraud though on a regular basis - as is evidenced by posts on the boards and the money back guarantee that sets up requirements for proof of delivery which is not lawful under Oz legislation.

With your private feedback buyer - if it were me I would send by registered post just in case the buyer is hiding a pattern of being difficult like leaving negatives etc or sellers have made follow up comments regarding items not received.

Whilst some buyers chose to keep their feedback private for privacy reasons thats their choice, sellers should also have a choice to block them from purchasing.

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

Sellers can block buyers with Private feedback by adding them to their Blocked Bidders List.

Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

As auctions are a vanishingly small percentage of eBay sales, it really makes no difference.

The only time vetting a buyer is any use is when you have a chance to make a decision prior to purchase.

Plus what stawks said - the neg is, by definition, from selling.

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

Whilst some buyers chose to keep their feedback private for privacy reasons thats their choice, sellers should also have a choice to block them from purchasing.

I can understand the reasons behind sellers wanting such an option, I know I sometimes find it a little discomfiting when I see a buyer of mine has private FB and there's been a problem (this is usually the only time I check).

But, at this point in time, AFAIK, there's no minimum timeframe that has to pass if you make your FB public or private (i.e. like there is if you change your username), so something like that would also have to be introduced, otherwise you'd likely end up just getting buyers who change to public FB to purchase, then change it back straight after. 

Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

Maybe it is because they want to keep their transaction records private for personal reasons, ie not from their trading partners, but from family and friends, and even potential other people who may know them with malicious intent.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

I was thinking more along the lines of the feedack being visible to anyone you are trading with, including asking a question.  Sure there are other feedback or blocking mechanisms that could be removed or set.

Not a giant leap in technology required.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

This buyer has less than 26 feedback anyway. I can understand why customers would not like others to see what they are purchasing,

But my issue is why would Ebay allow feedback to be hidden at all

Does any body know why this would be??

Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

I would assume its due to buyers complaining about privacy.

eBay is responsive to whinging buyers.

Others will argue its privacy legislation, but I have yet to see any evidence that it would be the case - particualrly when public view is of a self selected user name and details of purchases are not visible.

I reckon there would be more buyers hiding feedback for not good reasons in terms of trading, rather than the reverse.  Just speculation though.

Message 10 of 26
Latest reply