Buyers Feedback Hidden???

Just noticed for the first time when checking on a buyers feedback, all feedback is "Hidden" with a message that the "This person has requested that their feedback be hidden"  ???

The buyer has around 95% feedback rate and I can see there is 1 neg, of course not sure why, as I cannot see the feedback!

How is this allowed??

I often check on buyers when sending low cost items without tracking and then make up my mind whether to Register the item, depending if they have feedback from Sellers eg Item not received, requested refund.

How can Ebay justify being able to hide feedback???

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@thecatspjs wrote:

I was thinking more along the lines of the feedack being visible to anyone you are trading with, including asking a question. 

That would certainly be more practical. 

@helen, members have been able to make their feedback private for as long as I've been on eBay (about 8 years), so I don't know when the option was introduced, and couldn't really tell you what their reasonaing behind it was. It's probably more related to when member IDs weren't hidden on seller FB profiles, and item titles plus links were shown on all profiles. Some of that kind of information may well be protected by privacy laws, so maybe they were (or are) obligated to at least provide a voluntary option to keep that information private, though I suspect the option wouldn't be removed even if it were just the comments that were visible, and no other information like seller ID and item title. 

Edited to add: on public Fb profiles, it's often actually still really easy to find out what someone has purchased, and who from. 

Message 11 of 26
Latest reply

@helenm777 wrote:

This buyer has less than 26 feedback anyway. I can understand why customers would not like others to see what they are purchasing,

But my issue is why would Ebay allow feedback to be hidden at all

Does any body know why this would be??

You have already answered your own question.....some buyers prefer that others cannnot see what they are buying.

And why would ebay not allow feedback to be hidden?

Message 12 of 26
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

"Why would eBay not allow feedback to be hidden ?"  because it is one of the only ways sellers can identify consistent patterns that may indicate a scamming low life buyer and a safe trading place is good for everyone.
Message 13 of 26
Latest reply

@thecatspjs wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

"Why would eBay not allow feedback to be hidden ?"  because it is one of the only ways sellers can identify consistent patterns that may indicate a scamming low life buyer and a safe trading place is good for everyone.

But buyers can only receive POSITIVE feedback, so any scamming low life buyer would presumably know enough to get anything other than glowing positiver feedback deleted. And give the seller a strike, to boot.

Message 14 of 26
Latest reply

You missed the point entirely.

The feedback buyers leave sellers can be very revealing of quite a bit.

As can follow up comments by sellers, who have left feedback prior to running into problems.

Message 15 of 26
Latest reply

Did I? It has has been noted that it is totally irrelevant if the buyer BINs. Which is the predominant method of purchasing these days.

Once they pay, you send. Unless you are one of the number who cancel out of the possibility that it MIGHT be a less than optimal transaction.

Message 16 of 26
Latest reply

As identified in the OP it can be a prudent check and assist in deciding to send a letter registered or not.

It can also be useful evidence in a Paypal or eBay case, if there is a history of not received and refunds in follow up comments.

And... it can also be useful in deciding whether to insure a parcel or not for an extra dollar or two.

Message 17 of 26
Latest reply

Thanks thecatspjs you get my point exactly.

I have sent items that I would normally sent as a letter rate so no tracking or signature, as Reg Post when I have seen feedback left by sellers stating on the buyers feedback "Item Not Received.. Refunded Buyer".

It does not happen a lot, but it does happen, and if a buyers feedback shows many Non receipt of Items..it is a little suspect!!
Message 18 of 26
Latest reply

Just the same with public feedback as well.

Lucky the sellers I deal with know who I am and don't block me like you and cats think they should lol.

Private feedback has nothing to do with being a bad buyer as there are bad buyers that aren't private.

Message 19 of 26
Latest reply

I don't think anyone here is saying private feedback equals bad buyer....

I do think that anyone here who has ever blocked a serial neg leaver, or at the very least thought someone who has left 80% of comments saying something like 'didn't receive' was suspicious, should be able to understand the point that's being made. 

Message 20 of 26
Latest reply