Buyers now have to pay individually for each item, no more combining invoices :(

No joke, it was apparently trialled from 17th May til 26th June and is now being implemented on all ebay sales. Some will still have the old checkout until it is fully implemented.

Buyers have no option to pay later, it is apparently to stop non paying buyers. But it is affecting sales big time. I've been on ebay for over 12 years and I was totally confused when I attempted to purchase 17 items from 1 seller, seller was happy to combine postage. But when I attempted to buy the items I found I had no choice but to pay for each item individually, so I didn't buy them. So how confused will new ebay shoppers be.

At the same time I had a buyer wanting to combine items from my ebay store and was having the same issue. So I phoned ebay about it, at first the ebay rep thought we were pressing the wrong buttons and eventually she informed me that this will be how the new checkout will be for everyone. The buyer has to pay individually including postage costs, if they don't pay there is no sale. The seller can then refund the overpaid postage and then the seller has to contact ebay for a credit on the fees for the overpaid/credited postage.  

This sounds very complicated and it turned me off buying the 17 items I wanted to purchase, so how many other buyers are turning away because they don't like or don't understand the new checkout system.

Try it if you don't believe me, click on buy it now and you will see it takes you directly to the ebay checkout, there is no longer a COMMIT To BUY button, you either pay or there is no sale. It's to stop the non-paying buyers, but what about the buyers who want to buy lots of items and don't want to have to pay all those individual postage costs in the hope that the seller will refund the overpaid postage. 

Hoping ALL buyers & Sellers that aren't happy with this new system will contact ebay to voice their opinions. I think it's promoting off ebay sales, buy 1 item contact the seller or buyer and do the rest of the deal another way. Not that I'm promoting off-ebay sales, but if I thought of it I guess all others will too. 

Hoping Ebay will see some sense and revert back to the old checkout system. Maybe bring back the ability to NEG non-paying bidders to get rid of the time-wasters rather than fiddle with a system that has worked for over a decade.

No doubt there will be some that think this is a good idea, but if you actually try it as a buyer you will see how fumbled it is. On-line shopping should be as stream-lined as possible, having to pay and then wait for a refund is definitely not stream-lined.

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Re: I guess it's lucky I run auctions then and no more combining invoices :(

I have just heard back from the buyer - an angel with more patience than myself :-

Edited :

Thank you so much. Sorry to be a pain but I have been on the phone to them for over an hour as I gave up on the off shore chat room. So far I have had 8 explanations and now they are asking me to wait 24 hours to get their technical people on it........we'll see.

What a wonderful buying experience eBay have created - NOT !

I can only suggest the more BUYERS who complain the better the chances of this being fixed, because we all know they are the favoured ones !!  Meanwhile as sellers we can only do our best and offer amazing customer service and hope we don't lose too many customers

Message 61 of 71
Latest reply

I would suggest that sellers also complain - and say "sorry, ebay, but YOU have lost another sale." The trouble is it probably won't get through to where it needs to get through. They'll wake up if sales drop enough, which they probably will do, but what will it cost sellers in extra fees in the meantime?
Message 62 of 71
Latest reply

Yep I have been having this problem, buyers can commit to buy full price items and I can send a revised invoice BUT for any items that are sale items, ebay takes them straight to check out without them being able to request combined post.  Sales have slowed right down.

@purplerain55 wrote:

No joke, it was apparently trialled from 17th May til 26th June and is now being implemented on all ebay sales. Some will still have the old checkout until it is fully implemented.

Buyers have no option to pay later, it is apparently to stop non paying buyers. But it is affecting sales big time. I've been on ebay for over 12 years and I was totally confused when I attempted to purchase 17 items from 1 seller, seller was happy to combine postage. But when I attempted to buy the items I found I had no choice but to pay for each item individually, so I didn't buy them. So how confused will new ebay shoppers be.

At the same time I had a buyer wanting to combine items from my ebay store and was having the same issue. So I phoned ebay about it, at first the ebay rep thought we were pressing the wrong buttons and eventually she informed me that this will be how the new checkout will be for everyone. The buyer has to pay individually including postage costs, if they don't pay there is no sale. The seller can then refund the overpaid postage and then the seller has to contact ebay for a credit on the fees for the overpaid/credited postage.  

This sounds very complicated and it turned me off buying the 17 items I wanted to purchase, so how many other buyers are turning away because they don't like or don't understand the new checkout system.

Try it if you don't believe me, click on buy it now and you will see it takes you directly to the ebay checkout, there is no longer a COMMIT To BUY button, you either pay or there is no sale. It's to stop the non-paying buyers, but what about the buyers who want to buy lots of items and don't want to have to pay all those individual postage costs in the hope that the seller will refund the overpaid postage. 

Hoping ALL buyers & Sellers that aren't happy with this new system will contact ebay to voice their opinions. I think it's promoting off ebay sales, buy 1 item contact the seller or buyer and do the rest of the deal another way. Not that I'm promoting off-ebay sales, but if I thought of it I guess all others will too. 

Hoping Ebay will see some sense and revert back to the old checkout system. Maybe bring back the ability to NEG non-paying bidders to get rid of the time-wasters rather than fiddle with a system that has worked for over a decade.

No doubt there will be some that think this is a good idea, but if you actually try it as a buyer you will see how fumbled it is. On-line shopping should be as stream-lined as possible, having to pay and then wait for a refund is definitely not stream-lined.

Message 63 of 71
Latest reply

Over the last 18 months?

That's how old this thread is.

Message 64 of 71
Latest reply

It’s pay now on everything. I have things in my cart that I don’t want to pay for all at once. But if I want to buy something individually it makes me pay immediately without combining postage. I’m going to Etsy.
Message 65 of 71
Latest reply

You can save things in your cart for later, without having to buy and pay for them all straight away.
Message 66 of 71
Latest reply

If you want to pay for some of the items in your Cart you can just click on the Pay only this Seller button.

You have to do this if you have multiple currency items in your cart.

Message 67 of 71
Latest reply

Auctions don't work either! Only maybe for combined postage they may but not for Sales, I found that to be a No. I've had 'auctions' on Collectable rare and hard to find vintage dolls and items set for less than half price and way under priced. I had 164 items, all set for different dates and times to finish. I had ALL items set with a 4 min break in between so if a buyer wanted a couple items as combined postage I would be able to do that for them. First time I sold 1 ITEM!!!! next time nothing!! I've done Auctions a few times now and usually NO Sales and NOTHING. So NO more!! That was a BIG waste of my time and others. EXCEPT when the proposed Buyer watches the auction, doesn't bid, then sends me a msg wanting to buy said item for less than half of the the listed auction price! SO RUDE! And I've had that a few times now!! (by different buyers as well) ALSO, buyers get BORED waiting for an auction to finish or forgets it's there. I know I do. It's Ok if you pick up FREE or cheap stuff and sell it cheap, probably an auction is good. Yes, you've made somewhat of a profit, even if it's a miniscule one. But Items I sell I've had for years and years. I want a good profit as some of my items you can't even find anymore. I see sellers with similar items that are worth 10X what they are auctioning them for and OMG....same again! NO Sales OR Buyers getting good quality and rare items for near to nothing!! The sellers are still paying fees on them and for what? when the Sales are Barely enough to cover the fees??? I have had good sales as a newbie seller except of late! I have collected rare and htf dolls over 30 yrs UNTIL eBay implemented 'Pay via Instant Paypal' per item plus postage!! I'm really annoyed as I'm paying for a shop every month too. I actually found out a few months ago how to take the "Instant Paypal Payment' OFF my account. It worked 'at first' and got a lot of combined postage sales. Then, I started realising No sales?? I usually get a Sale if I list something new and have a lot of lookers straight away, not necessarily on the item that I've just listed but a sale on another item. It's like eBay 'unpeels the onion layers' once again because I've listed something like a 'good girl - good seller' 'you've listed something' (NOT my imagination either!) To be quite honest....I've been getting more Overseas sales, so go figure? FREE Postage isn't worth it either otherwise I need to list a doll at an 'excessive' price to cover postage, even with an offer. Why should I pay $30.00+ 'free postage' , lose money taking an 'offer' and then pay for free postage on top, when I'm not even buying the doll ? The doll's not getting sent to me?! I'm here living in Australia and Australian born BUT I've had mainly Aussie Buyers offer less than half price? **bleep**!! Greedy! I was eventually told by 1 buyer when i said 'sorry, i don't do less than half price offers, be fair this is a rare doll, you won't find another' The comment came back as...'I thought offers were when a seller wanted to sell an item quickly to get rid of it'? Has eBay put this 'thought' also into the head of buyers as well?? When I realised that i wasn't making any sales YET AGAIN. There's 3 things I did...I got my daughter to go onto her account to see if she could buy one of my items? It jumped straight to Instant Paypal....So i went into my account to see if I needed to take off the 'instant payment' AGAIN and when I couldn't find it as it's mysteriously 'disappeared! I typed a Question into Google and this forum came up. Thanks guys for the great and honest and straight forward answers. It all makes sense. I'd be better saving my $30 p/mth, plus all the excessive fees ebay and Paypal charges when an item is sold, get off eBay and go and sell at the Sunday Markets. I'd probably make more money, with less work involved! (have done markets in the past and made very good money) I would have thought ebay was Good and the reason I say this and Came on eBay to sell is because the items are here at my home, that are my collection or things I've accquired. I don't have to pack up boxes, or I don't have to load up the car, leave home at 4am and set up tables (already supplied) or unpack when I get home. BUT....I feel some days on eBay, the work to list, described accurately faults and all (a lot of ruthless buyers out there) and photograph and answer (sometimes the most stupid questions) Is just as bad and as tiresome, if not worse! A least on a Sunday, it's one, maybe 2 days, including packing up and unpacking the car the day....eBay is 7 days, usually with little or no break. There's a lot to weigh up? I feel as eBay's and Paypals fees have become Ridiculous and are showing nothing towards the Seller or encourage them for using their service. It's just a 'platform' where I feel I'm doing ALL the work and they collect a Good Portion of my money! What to do....What to do! What do others think? Your comments are valued ~ Luv Bon 🙂 xo ***Please, NO personal OR derogitory comments or reply's. This Post isn't meant for that***

Message 68 of 71
Latest reply

REPLIED TO : - Auctions don't work either! Your comments are valued ~ Luv Bon 🙂 xo ***Please, NO personal OR derogitory comments or reply's. This Post isn't meant for that***

Message 69 of 71
Latest reply

@bonnie 

welcome to the boards.

Can I give you a little advice?  When you have a long post please use paragraphs as many that read these forums find large slabs of text difficult to read.  I know I do, so I only read the first and last sentence of your post.

**this is not a personal or derogatory reply**

Message 70 of 71
Latest reply