Can i remove positive feedback i left for a buyer who is an **bleep**.

I left 2 positive feedbacks to a buyer straight after he purchased both items.
He recieved items and is whinging cause i refuse to refund postage even though he purchased both items very cheap.
I did not state i would combine postage.
He purchased then asked if i would combine which i replied no.
Today i recieved a rude reply cause postage price was less than what he paid.
I had to pay for packing material australia post box and bubble wrap and taxi fair to local post office and back.
IT COST ME MORE TO POST THAN WHAT HE PAID!!!!!!
He does not deserve any positive feedback.

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Can i remove positive feedback i left for a buyer who is an **bleep**.

@misfittrio wrote:

I dont combine postage because i underprice my items for quick sale.

Stuff generally sells even faster if you offer an incentive to buyers to purchase more at any one time, even if it's a token discount. 

I'm not going to tell you that you should have done X or Y, or how to run your selling activities at all, but you can't really say you bank on leftover postage for profit (from 2+ items, I mean) when you don't really know if multiple items are going to sell to one buyer or multiple, and if two different people had purchased, you'd have no choice but to send two different parcels. 

This isn't really a discussion about morals, or at least, morals are a little too subjective to enter the equation in an objective way, because it can easily be argued (and many in fact do argue) that it's more ethical to combine (discount) postage where possible, and just impression-wise, if you don't want to combine postage, you should at least realise that from the buyer's point of view, they bought more than one item and in doing so, provided the opportunity (presumably) to save on packaging and postage costs, which you took but didn't pass on even a little bit, and have gone so far as to call the buyer greedy. From their perspective, that would come across as a bit of pot calling the kettle black. 

In this case, I understand that the total cost to you, to get the order to the buyer, was more than they paid, but instead of escalating the situation and calling the buyer names etc, it can really help a lot sometimes to just take a moment to understand things from a buyer's perspective, and respond to them with respect and empathy - that's what most people want. 

I don't believe a seller is obliged to justify their decisions to buyers in the vast majority of cases (i.e. the word "because" doesn't have to be in replies, and often it makes things worse anyway), so I am not saying sellers need to explain things to buyers down to every last detail, but just a little "I understand, but unfortunately in this case I wasn't able provide X", can go a really long way. 

Message 21 of 40
Latest reply

@misfittrio wrote:
MORALS COME BEFORE MONEY IN MY BOOK means if i purchased several items with seprate postage charges i would never ask for a refund. Yes it was only $3.10 but a contract is a contract.
There were posted in one box. Although i was told afterwards he wanted then sent in 2 boxes.
I respectfuly disagree about being greedy.
You should not be pressing commit to buy then pay for the item if your going to wait till after the sale is finalised to say you combined postage.
As for the taxi there was an unnexpected incident which led to me being forced to get to get cab to the post office that day. I mentioned that purely out of frustration no more no less.

The reasons a seller chooses to sell items cheaply is not the buyer's concern

I would have thought that, if a buyer paid 2 lots of postage and the seller declined to combine postage costs, then the purchases should have been sent in 2 parcels (unless the cost of posting 2 items in one box increased the postage cost by roughly that amount).

The buyer was charged for a postage service he didn't receive. 

Message 22 of 40
Latest reply

@misfittrio wrote:
I left 2 positive feedbacks to a buyer straight after he purchased both items.
He recieved items and is whinging cause i refuse to refund postage even though he purchased both items very cheap.
I did not state i would combine postage.
He purchased then asked if i would combine which i replied no.
Today i recieved a rude reply cause postage price was less than what he paid.
I had to pay for packing material australia post box and bubble wrap and taxi fair to local post office and back.
IT COST ME MORE TO POST THAN WHAT HE PAID!!!!!!
He does not deserve any positive feedback.

In some of your posts, you have talked about morals.

I don't think morals as such come into this.

I am taking it the buyer bought 2 things separately and then asked about combined postage.

It definitely is easier if someone asks before buying but it is not a crime for a buyer to ask or enquire after a sale. As long as they are prepared to accept a no response, which it seems your buyer was.

Probably what has upset him is the fact you sent the 2 items together. In other words, you did combine the postage at a small profit to yourself, but you'd told him you didn't combine postage.

My experience selling in the past (and I don't expect buyers have changed much since then) is that a lot of buyers hate postage costs, even when they are totally fair. Buyers know postal charges are a necessary evil and many of them will allow an extra dollar or two maybe to cover packaging but woe betide the seller who is seen to profit from it.

In this case, the buyer sees you as the one who is a bit greedy, if you like, in that you said you couldn't combine postage but then you did, but only at a profit to yourself. For a small difference of about $3 or $4 I personally would not (as a buyer) be making trouble but everyone is different.

What the actual costs to you were don't matter. You set the postage costs, so a buyer will presume they cover it and that you are happy with your total selling price. All that is upsetting your customer here (I think) is you said one thing then did another.

I don't think you will be able to change your feedback. In fact the buyer hasn't really done anything wrong, they paid quickly, they haven't scammed you, all they have done is give a neg. I'd just move on.

If the buyer is the one whose  neg that is showing on your feedback, I doubt that can be removed either. If I were an ebay rep I would not remove it in any case as all they have said is they were not happy with the communication. That's a perception. In any case, it isn't a neg that would necessarily count too much against you or future sales as it isn't about bad or faulty items, slow postage or anything like that.

Message 23 of 40
Latest reply

I read this with interest as yes it was me. First lets get it straight I paid 2 x $10 post for a small box costing $8.95 post and thought a $5 refund would have been nice but got a no. OK fair enough, might need a bigger box or something. When a small box arrived I did message seller saying it was only $8.95 and if they do not combine they should offer 2 parcels at least. This was more of advice I thought , as was too late for me.  Got such an abusive repy i would not even be able to copy and post on this board. OK I moved on and left a positive feedback.

Then lo and behold read the boards and saw no mention of the abusive name calling capital letters message email they send to me, never mind the untruths, and such behaviour is not acceptable to me. Yes the negative feedback was well deserved as ebay will see in my messages. 

Despite the fact I could report them to ebay for such behaviour, I have not. 

Message 24 of 40
Latest reply

it is always good to get the other side of the story.Smiley Wink

Message 25 of 40
Latest reply

When I wrote 'Ebay has given me a new feature, ', I was referring the links, as in the blue 'reply below' and 'follow up' , shown below,  that have suddenly appeared in my feedback. plus this one.PNGnew feature.PNG

Message 26 of 40
Latest reply

Buyer always gets the last say in feedback - you can follow up

Message 27 of 40
Latest reply

Your more than welcome to report me.
It was actualy $8.95 plus $2.00 for box plus $3.95 for small size bubble wrap packet.
I replied that way in reply to your rude mannerism i recieved.
Your behaviour was not acceptable to me from get go.
A contract is a contract and is not against the law to not offer combined shipping costs.
I know theres alot of sellers out there in my position.
As ive said your welcome to report me to ebay.
You can all discuss this amongst yourselves now.
Thankyou

Message 28 of 40
Latest reply

$5 sounds about right then. And you would still have been in front over a single postage rate which would be the same. $3.50 for bubblewrap? You really need to start looking further afield for your packaging supplies.

Message 29 of 40
Latest reply

@ford12ford wrote:

I read this with interest as yes it was me. First lets get it straight I paid 2 x $10 post for a small box costing $8.95 post and thought a $5 refund would have been nice but got a no. OK fair enough, might need a bigger box or something. When a small box arrived I did message seller saying it was only $8.95 and if they do not combine they should offer 2 parcels at least. This was more of advice I thought , as was too late for me.  Got such an abusive repy i would not even be able to copy and post on this board. OK I moved on and left a positive feedback.

Then lo and behold read the boards and saw no mention of the abusive name calling capital letters message email they send to me, never mind the untruths, and such behaviour is not acceptable to me. Yes the negative feedback was well deserved as ebay will see in my messages. 

Despite the fact I could report them to ebay for such behaviour, I have not. 

I am so pleased you informed us, good luck with the rest of your buying, not all sellers are abusive, most will go out of their way to assist Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 40
Latest reply