Cancelling Transaction for Unpaid Item

Hi all,

I have recently opened a case with the Resolution Centre as my buyer has yet to pay for the purchased item.

They've come back asking to cancel the transaction due to duplicate purchases - which I'm happy to go ahead with.

How do I cancel the transaction and will this reflect negatively on my or their member rating?

Please note: the 4 days that eBay has allowed for a buyer to respond to a Resolution Centre case hasn't gone by yet. We're only in our 2nd day since I've opened the case. 

Not sure whether this detail is relevant.

Thanks in advance!

Peony Rouge.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When you say Duplicate Purchase, did the buyer purchase the same item twice from you? Or did they make two purchases and have now decided they don't want to pay for one of them?

You have 2 options.

Add the buyer to your blocked list. Let the Unpaid case continue and in another 2 days you'll get your FVFs refunded and the buyer will receive a strike. No feedback can be left.

Or send a Mutual Cancellation using the reason "buyer changed mind" and you shouldn't receive a Defect. IF the buyer accepts it you'll get your FVFs refunded (or if they ignore the request you can get your FVFs refunded after 7 days). If they decline the cancellation request you'll need to ring eBay and ask for your FVFs to be refunded based on the buyer's emails. The buyer can still leave feedback and DSRs which may leave you with a Defect.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

When you say Duplicate Purchase, did the buyer purchase the same item twice from you? Or did they make two purchases and have now decided they don't want to pay for one of them?

You have 2 options.

Add the buyer to your blocked list. Let the Unpaid case continue and in another 2 days you'll get your FVFs refunded and the buyer will receive a strike. No feedback can be left.

Or send a Mutual Cancellation using the reason "buyer changed mind" and you shouldn't receive a Defect. IF the buyer accepts it you'll get your FVFs refunded (or if they ignore the request you can get your FVFs refunded after 7 days). If they decline the cancellation request you'll need to ring eBay and ask for your FVFs to be refunded based on the buyer's emails. The buyer can still leave feedback and DSRs which may leave you with a Defect.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

If they purchased both of them from you then I would indeed cancel one of them, you cannot open a mutual cancellation once an unpaid item dispute has been opened but you can close it for the reason that you and the buyer have agreed to cancel the transaction.

If you mean they purchased from another seller too I would just let the dispute go the 4 days and issue them a strike, may teach them not to be so irresponsible again.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks all for the help!

They purchased the same item from someone else - not sure whether it was a mistake or potentially found a cheaper alternative, but now they're not wanting my items.

I will close the unpaid item case in a couple of days as suggested.

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Ebay have just changed their cancellation process and it sucks!  We used to get a multiple choice reason for cancellation which you could enter they bought in error, but now there a 2 choices which don't reflect the true reason.  I had same thing a buyer bought 2 items so I contacted him to find out if he wanted both or just one - never heard back.  This went on for a while till I decided to cancel, now those items are still sitting in my sold list waiting for removal.  Ebay have a note on them saying "waiting to see if refund has been given" - that's also incorrect as they buyer never paid & has not responded to me or them.  What used to be a 4 day wait is now 10 days.  They will automatically remove it then, but you can delete it yourself if you don't want it sitting there.  There will be no comeback on you but maybe on them, you don't know if they are in the habit of doing this.  Just block them so they don't have the opportunity to do it again to you.  Good luck 🙂 

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply