Chargeback ruled in buyer's favor, now what?

Need advice.

So I sold a really expensive item ($1300+) and the buyer filed a chargeback through the bank as "unrecognised transaction". I'm with managed payments so I don't think this was through Paypal. So I submitted delivery details as well as proof of signature on delivery as well as buying insurance if the item wasn't delivered.

All details match up, the item was picked up at their post office with their suburb and they even signed for it.

Now 2 weeks later, they won the chargeback and the money has been deducted from my account. I'm confused since

I followed ALL the guidelines on the seller protection page yet somehow I still lost.

When a buyer reports that they don't recognise the transaction:

• You provided proof of delivery that included all of the following:
    • Tracking number provided by the carrier company (uploaded by the date indicated in the payment dispute notification);
    • A delivery status of "delivered";
    • Date of delivery;
    • The recipient's address, showing at least the city/suburb or postcode (or international equivalent) that matches the address displayed on the eBay Order details page; and
    • Proof of signature confirmation, if an order has a total cost (including postage and any applicable taxes) of $750 or more, uploaded as an image while contesting the payment dispute.

What is the next step? The buyer gets to keep the item as well as the money? How do I dispute it?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Chargeback ruled in buyer's favor, now what?

@nt_toys wrote:

I'll definitely do that. Just so they are aware the authorities are investigating them.

I'll keep communicating with Ebay but they like to make things difficult. I got like 3 different case / transaction numbers from 3 different agents and all of them leads nowhere so far. At least right now the last agent did say they will review again and possibly issue me a refund. A small glimmer of hope but it's better than utter despair.

Keep on them, it sounds like you followed the rules for seller protection to the letter. In my experience, as soon as you point out that they are not following their policies (with supporting links and quotes), they usually relent.

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Are you 100% sure it was a chargeback? I had to do one once and it took a lot longer than 2 weeks for my bank to refund the money to my card, more like 6-7 weeks if I remember correctly.

If it is a chargeback, I seriously don't think you have any recall finacially anymore, but could maybe report the buyer for fraud, if you have all the proof you may be  successful, I would certainly try.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

100% positive it was a chargeback as they decided to go through their bank to get the money rather than through Ebay. Completely sidestepping them.

How do I go about reporting the fraud? Would that just be going to the authorities and filing a report there?

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you have followed all the guidelines for proving delivery you should be covered by ebay's seller protection.

Even if the buyer gets his money back it should not come from your account.....it should be paid by ebay.

I am not a seller so have no idea how you should go about appealing but I am sure some sellers will be around soon to help.

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

According to the Seller Protection page, I have provided all the correct details so they should have stepped in and covered me there. But Ebay has been doing a great job of letting me down recently with a number of cases that I shouldn't have lost. This one is the biggest one though so I'm going through every channel I can. I'll try Ebay chat support first.

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

Super frustrating. The buyer filed it as a Paypal dispute, but they went through managed payments and probably Paypal express checkout so the transaction never showed up on my Palpal account. Ebay CS told me to contact Paypal with the dispute number, but calling them they told me they can't see any transaction under my account so they can't help me.

Oh and if Paypal intervenes, they have higher authority, so I lose all Seller protection. So now there's no record on Paypal and Ebay doesn't want anything to do with it. This is absolutely driving me insane. Now I'm back to contacting ebay again. 

Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

How the buyer paid and disputed shouldn't matter if the money was processed through eBay's managed payments system - the buyer's contract etc is with PayPal, but your contract is with eBay, and that's what matters in so far as seller protection goes.

If eBay did not uphold their seller protection policies, you can file a complaint - their payment processor is Adyen, so if your complaint doesn't result in eBay returning the funds to you, lodge a dispute with AFCA, as Adyen are signed on with them.

https://www.afca.org.au/

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks, I'll do that as the last resort.

Now Ebay is telling me it's NOT a Paypal transaction and it was credit card direct. I have no idea what's going on right now but at the very least because of this I told them shouldn't I be eligible for seller protection and they said they will review and let me know in 2-3 days. So far that's the best I got but I'll lodge with AFCA if that doesn't come through.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone!

Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Have they returned the item to you?

They can't keep the item AND get refunded.

I would message them to either repay, or return the item in the condition it was sent or I would be reporting them to Cybercrime

Report | Cyber.gov.au

Never know your luck until you try.

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

They haven't returned it but I'll definitely do that. They never bothered to communicate with me to start and went straight to the bank to get their money back otherwise I'd just process the return and refund as a normal seller would. I'm sure they always intended to keep both the money and the item, otherwise why wait a full week after they picked up the item before filing a chargeback.

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply