Chargeback ruled in buyer's favor, now what?

Need advice.

So I sold a really expensive item ($1300+) and the buyer filed a chargeback through the bank as "unrecognised transaction". I'm with managed payments so I don't think this was through Paypal. So I submitted delivery details as well as proof of signature on delivery as well as buying insurance if the item wasn't delivered.

All details match up, the item was picked up at their post office with their suburb and they even signed for it.

Now 2 weeks later, they won the chargeback and the money has been deducted from my account. I'm confused since

I followed ALL the guidelines on the seller protection page yet somehow I still lost.

When a buyer reports that they don't recognise the transaction:

• You provided proof of delivery that included all of the following:
    • Tracking number provided by the carrier company (uploaded by the date indicated in the payment dispute notification);
    • A delivery status of "delivered";
    • Date of delivery;
    • The recipient's address, showing at least the city/suburb or postcode (or international equivalent) that matches the address displayed on the eBay Order details page; and
    • Proof of signature confirmation, if an order has a total cost (including postage and any applicable taxes) of $750 or more, uploaded as an image while contesting the payment dispute.

What is the next step? The buyer gets to keep the item as well as the money? How do I dispute it?

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Chargeback ruled in buyer's favor, now what?

Huh funny! The buyer is now no longer a registered user. Did they do that intentionally or did Ebay block them I wonder? In any case now I can't message them. The buyer has over 900 feedback and has been a member since 2010 so why did they pick now to pull this stunt.

Message 11 of 20
Latest reply

Maybe their account for hacked and someone else used it.

I just lost a chargeback case and I wasn't entitled to "seller protection" because the Australia Post tracking info didn't include a post code in Canada when looked up. Sheesh.
Message 12 of 20
Latest reply

@nt_toys wrote:

Huh funny! The buyer is now no longer a registered user. Did they do that intentionally or did Ebay block them I wonder? In any case now I can't message them. The buyer has over 900 feedback and has been a member since 2010 so why did they pick now to pull this stunt.

I would still report them to Cybercrime in case they try it with someone else.

Keep on ebay's case.

You did everything they wanted.

You shouldn't be out of pocket.

Message 13 of 20
Latest reply

Did it show as delivered? I suppose if they can't prove the location overseas then they can deny the protection on a technicality. But I'd hop onto ebay chat and talk to them. Keep trying a few times. I swear everytime I get a different agent they all have a different solution. Is this really how a multi billion dollar corporation is run?

Message 14 of 20
Latest reply

I'll definitely do that. Just so they are aware the authorities are investigating them.

I'll keep communicating with Ebay but they like to make things difficult. I got like 3 different case / transaction numbers from 3 different agents and all of them leads nowhere so far. At least right now the last agent did say they will review again and possibly issue me a refund. A small glimmer of hope but it's better than utter despair.

Message 15 of 20
Latest reply

Good luck and let us all know please

Message 16 of 20
Latest reply

@nt_toys wrote:

I'll definitely do that. Just so they are aware the authorities are investigating them.

I'll keep communicating with Ebay but they like to make things difficult. I got like 3 different case / transaction numbers from 3 different agents and all of them leads nowhere so far. At least right now the last agent did say they will review again and possibly issue me a refund. A small glimmer of hope but it's better than utter despair.

Keep on them, it sounds like you followed the rules for seller protection to the letter. In my experience, as soon as you point out that they are not following their policies (with supporting links and quotes), they usually relent.

Message 17 of 20
Latest reply

Thanks for your help guys. Ebay has decided to grant me the seller protection. Such a huge relief.

Message 18 of 20
Latest reply

I read this thread again yesterday and wondered how you were getting on, so pleased for you, good to know the system works on occasion

Message 19 of 20
Latest reply

If you ever get hit with something like this again, if the parcel was signed for you can always request a copy of the signature.  The collector would also have to provide ID.  This would at least help if it's a fraudulent chargeback.

Message 20 of 20
Latest reply