Chinese sellers should be banned from selling on eBay.com.au

It's disgusting how eBay Australia allows international Chinese sellers to list and sell on our site

My opposition are primarily Chinese who sell items for $1.00 (including shipping) But for me, the cheapest shipping within Australia is $7.20 + the  cost of the product. How can we compete with that? Yes, to send an item the size of two box of matches (for example) is $7.20

At the very least, our listings should get priority and appear ahead of theirs in search results

If your interested in drafting a protest, please post your interest here.

Regards

Dave

PS This is not a racial issue. My wife is Khmer (Cambodian).

Message 1 of 84
Latest reply
83 REPLIES 83

Re: Chinese sellers should be banned from selling on eBay.com.au

It would make no differences because people will just go elsewhere. I have bought many things from another website where everything is from China. 

Message 31 of 84
Latest reply

@industrialsurplusandsalesptyltd wrote:

Blame Australia Post, they actively discriminate against Australians.  Why should aforeigner be able to ship within Australia for a fraction of what we pay?  This is why I do not support OZ Post as much as I could. 

http://www.upu.int/en/the-upu/the-upu.html

Message 32 of 84
Latest reply

Seriously, dude.  You have 970 listings and they're all  'other'

Sort your store into categories, please.    People can't be going through 970 listings

Who knows,  you might even sell more

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/sell/store-categories.html

Message 33 of 84
Latest reply

The chinese sellers are not going to go away so you just need to deal with it or sell elsewhere. One big issue I do have is the level of counterfeit on from mainly Chinese ( but also Australian) sellers. eBays way of not dealing with this is to tell sellers if they spot a fake to let the Trade mark owner ( disney etc) know and go through the Vero program. That's frankly not good enough as it is dependent on the trade mark owner taking action and not on ebay creating a safe market place without counterfeits.  Nowadays I am competing more against fake products than licensed ones. They are cheap rubbish as we all know but that doesnt stop folks buying them. And eBays feeble side ball excuses mean they continue to profit hugely from counterfeit foreign made goods in a market such as Australia which is not well policed.  There are lots of ways of proving a product is genuine and fakes are usually ( not always) easy to spot. It wouldnt be that hard for eBay to better police their platform but of course it would hurt the margins. If they genuinley cared about a safe marketplace they would. The fact they dont tells me that they couldnt give a stuff.

Message 34 of 84
Latest reply

God thank you for that! totallt missed it :-))))))) what  a relief to not have to wade through all those listings!

Message 35 of 84
Latest reply

x3n0m
Community Member

someone pointed out that the Chinese government subsidise the postage cost for their international mail .. that is interesting as Australia also subsidises their postage by charging Aussies extra for the cost of delivering all their subsidised incoming international mail etc .. very gracious of us shooting ourselves in the foot like that .. boom haha I'm a dumbass stupid aussie fool take me for a ride anytime .. hahar deeerrrr ..

Message 36 of 84
Latest reply

This is just a random thought from me (mainly a buyer).

But I do get tired of wading through reams of Chinese stuff or even sometimes stuff from GB.

The default setting should be Australian items first on Australian ebay site. Then international.

I don't mind occasionally buying from China, mind you, but at the moment it feels like I have to go through too many irrelevant listings to get to what I am interested in.

Yes, I know about how to tick the Australia only box but it gets tiresome having to do that each and every search.

I wish I could set it to a permanent default.

Ebay could improve its site.

Message 37 of 84
Latest reply

Springy, the Australia Only box is a misnomer.

It is not only Australian sellers but includes sellers who sell to Australia Only.....that is why there are so many Chinese sellers incuded.

Message 38 of 84
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

@industrialsurplusandsalesptyltd wrote:

Blame Australia Post, they actively discriminate against Australians.  Why should aforeigner be able to ship within Australia for a fraction of what we pay?  This is why I do not support OZ Post as much as I could. 

http://www.upu.int/en/the-upu/the-upu.html

At the moment UPU terminal dues are under review and the Yanks are apparently looking at trying to negotiate increases after lobbying by USPS.

USPS, like AP, currently convey incoming parcels at a loss which is then passed on to domestic users through rate increases.

How our govt is approaching these negotiations is unknown.

Interestingly, Aus, NZ and Canada all abstained from the last agreement and reserved the right to charge above the UPU mandated terminal dues rates.

This option has, to my knowledge, never been acted upon.

Nor has our domestic anti-dumping foreign trade policy.

Australian govts of both flavours have studiously ignored this issue even though it is directly related to balance of trade figures.

Message 39 of 84
Latest reply

Once it hits Australia it uses the same service (post). Given government concessions of Australia post it's just odd that international postage to Australia isn't higher given it relies on the same service and significant government tax dollars...
Message 40 of 84
Latest reply