Accepted Solutions

Could you please tell me why ebay is taking a percentage from the postage

i agree it is wrong.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

so all sellers loose on postage, and ebay makes more money.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

@pinegroveplants wrote:

No, because you incorporate the fees into the price and let the buyer pay the fees.

This has been common knowledge since earlier in the year and was implemented in May, so not sure why people are still suffering 'bill shock'. EBay does it because they can, just like they do with everything else.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

millj40
Community Member

They usually got their percentage from me anyway as I have 'free postage' on most of my listings. 

I don't mind paying for the service ebay provides, but am increasingly frustrated with their interference in my business.

I still can not understand why stars count against you - they should simply be a guide for other buyers to see on your feedback page.  Instead they are a tool ebay use to keep sellers in constant fear their livlihood might be ripped out from under them by fussy buyers who dare to rate 3 stars on a transaction Smiley Frustrated 

Surely buyers can judge for themselves whether they want to buy from you, based on your percentage and a star guide, without all this best match, top rated, defect blah blah b*sh* ebay uses to place your items in search results (or hide them, as the case may be).

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

The answer is simple - GREED

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Greed has nothing to do with it. Profit is the only reason and that is how it should be. Ebay's only job is to make as much money as it can for the shareholders. Anyone who thinks ebay has, or should have, any other reason for existence is living in a dream world.

See what a trendsetter I am?

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Doesn't it just continue the process of closing the loophole where sellers could fee avoid by loading the item price into handling charges? And encourage the obvious goal of 'free postage' on all listings?

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

I assume the question was directed at PJ but I wanted to give my openion.

There was a loophole and it is closed. Not only that ebay don't care now what people charge for postage. Is it in the best interest for the consumer to offer free post? I don't think so and saying something is free and bumping up the price is not on in my book, I actually think it is illegal to add something extra and increase the price and call it free.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply

I have 'free' postage on my small items that fit into a padded bag under 20mm because the postage is usually only $1.40 to send. Larger items that go by parcel, I charge postage. Initially I had everything as free postage, including the parcels and had incorporated the postage cost into the start price of my parcel auctions. None of my parcel sized auctions sold at the higher price with free postage. Not one. So, I reduced the price and added the postage cost back into the listing and they started to sell. I guess that means the buyer isn't stupid. Either that, or they just saw the start price and knew the item wasn't worth that, without looking at the postage cost, which at that stage was $0 to them. Or, they knew if they bought more than one, they'd be paying a big whack in what was included postage.

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

If you don't believe greed has nothing to do with it, then just look at how many millions of dollars profit they post. Yes shareholders get a decent whack, but there are still millions left over. They are not destitute and should not charge a fee for a service they don't provide. It is simple greed.

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

And the money goes off-shore to tax-free or tax-minimized havens.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

GREED JUST PURE EBAY GREED , SOMEONE OR A CLASS ACTION OF US SHOULD TAKE THIS TO THE ACCC, BET IF EBAY WERE CHARGING THEIR BUYERS A % FEE ON THE POSTAGE THERE WOULD BE A RIOT , BUT THEN AGAIN EBAY BUYERS ARE SEEN AS THE BE ALL END ALL TO EBAY AND SELLERS ARE JUST **bleep**, THATS THE WAY EBAY SEES IT , THEY WILL LEARN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

I still don't get full marks for postage fees I charge although I still charge less for postage than it cost me. By EBAY charging extra on postage just rips into my profits. I don't believe in offering free postage - no such thing. I get charged so I have to pass the charges on. Calling it it free postage is FALSE advertising. It should be postage included price. I sell many low cost items EBAY try to pressure us into offering Free Postage. If I was to do this I would go broke very quickly as Min postage cost to me is over $8.00. If i include it in the price then the buyer wouldn't be able to afford to buy it. Therefore I Am punished by EBAY for not offering a premium service. I feel that What I offer is much Fairer & EBAY still win no matter how you look at it. They still don't pay TAX in AUSTRALIA .

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

@badbundybear wrote:

GREED JUST PURE EBAY GREED , SOMEONE OR A CLASS ACTION OF US SHOULD TAKE THIS TO THE ACCC, BET IF EBAY WERE CHARGING THEIR BUYERS A % FEE ON THE POSTAGE THERE WOULD BE A RIOT , BUT THEN AGAIN EBAY BUYERS ARE SEEN AS THE BE ALL END ALL TO EBAY AND SELLERS ARE JUST **bleep**, THATS THE WAY EBAY SEES IT , THEY WILL LEARN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any number of members took this this to the ACCC....the answer was that ebay was doing nothing wrong.

What makes you think that this is not affecting buyers?  Any seller that is running their business properly is passing the fees on to the buyers.   If you are not then more fool you.

Do you see buyers coming to the boards in droves and moaning about the new fees?

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

Hi There, Thank for your comment at the end of the day were the losers & ebay the winner Regards, Lily4407

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

Hi There Just asking the question Regards, Lily4407

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

i agree it is wrong.

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

@pinegroveplants wrote:

No, because you incorporate the fees into the price and let the buyer pay the fees.

This has been common knowledge since earlier in the year and was implemented in May, so not sure why people are still suffering 'bill shock'. EBay does it because they can, just like they do with everything else.

Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

millj40
Community Member

They usually got their percentage from me anyway as I have 'free postage' on most of my listings. 

I don't mind paying for the service ebay provides, but am increasingly frustrated with their interference in my business.

I still can not understand why stars count against you - they should simply be a guide for other buyers to see on your feedback page.  Instead they are a tool ebay use to keep sellers in constant fear their livlihood might be ripped out from under them by fussy buyers who dare to rate 3 stars on a transaction Smiley Frustrated 

Surely buyers can judge for themselves whether they want to buy from you, based on your percentage and a star guide, without all this best match, top rated, defect blah blah b*sh* ebay uses to place your items in search results (or hide them, as the case may be).

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

The answer is simple - GREED

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

Greed has nothing to do with it. Profit is the only reason and that is how it should be. Ebay's only job is to make as much money as it can for the shareholders. Anyone who thinks ebay has, or should have, any other reason for existence is living in a dream world.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Doesn't it just continue the process of closing the loophole where sellers could fee avoid by loading the item price into handling charges? And encourage the obvious goal of 'free postage' on all listings?

Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

I assume the question was directed at PJ but I wanted to give my openion.

There was a loophole and it is closed. Not only that ebay don't care now what people charge for postage. Is it in the best interest for the consumer to offer free post? I don't think so and saying something is free and bumping up the price is not on in my book, I actually think it is illegal to add something extra and increase the price and call it free.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply