Decline in sales not just eBay

So I have been reading the forums from Amazon and Etsy as well as the eBay forums that are in English, and sometimes translate the foreigh languages. And I see this slow down in sales everywhere. As well as department stores.

So I think our problems of slow sales is more than just this site. With the decline in house values, it is scaring a lot of people, and a lot of people are in negative equity and are struggling. I smell a recession comming.

Thank you, please put your imput below.

Glen

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: Decline in sales not just eBay

And yet, more and more American politicians are talking about the need for a UBI. Why? Because "trickle down" economy is largely BS - give the already wealthy a cash injection, and it'll help the poor. Yeah, that's how capitalism works in the long term. 

Trump is a capitalist, obviously, so if you speak to businesses and the wealthy, they'll say everything's great. Speak to the rest, they won't paint such a pretty picture. Steel and aluminium industries are loving the tariffs, farmers and car manufacturers... not so much. Retalitory tariffs have caused an increase in farmers filing for bankrupty under Trump - in some areas it doubled. 

Oh, and the industries he's crippled now need a bailout. 

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

@ Digi, I,m also not a huge fan of trickle down economics. Its a classic case of the the rich get richer while the poor can eat cake. I,m also not a big fan of Trump either.

BUT....... The broad figures on the U.S economy show the " little people " are doing much better under Trump, than workers here in Australia.

Unemployment in the U.S is running at 3.8 %.....one of the lowest figures IN FIFTY YEARS !!!! ...........Compare that to Australia's latest figure of 5.4%, down from 5.6% last month.

Average hourly wage growth in the U.S is 3.2%, against an inflation rate of 1.5 % giving a real wage increase of 1.7%

Compare that with Australia where private sector wages growth is currently running at 1.9 % against an inflation rate of 1.8% giving a real wage increase of barely registerable 0.1% 

Sure Trump comes across as a complete wally, his big wall idea is plain stupid and he appears to be a risk to global stability but when it comes to whether the average U.S citizen is better off under a Trump administration, the facts speak for themselves.

As the U.S left wing haters have been caught out peddling their corruption and lies, you have to wonder.  Maybe the U.S voters made the right choice after all and maybe Trump is not as stupid as he looks.

Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

@ Digi, I,m also not a huge fan of trickle down economics. Its a classic case of the the rich get richer while the poor can eat cake. I,m also not a big fan of Trump either.

BUT....... The broad figures on the U.S economy show the " little people " are doing much better under Trump, than workers here in Australia.

Unemployment in the U.S is running at 3.8 %.....one of the lowest figures IN FIFTY YEARS !!!! ...........Compare that to Australia's latest figure of 5.4%, down from 5.6% last month.

Average hourly wage growth in the U.S is 3.2%, against an inflation rate of 1.5 % giving a real wage increase of 1.7%

Compare that with Australia where private sector wages growth is currently running at 1.9 % against an inflation rate of 1.8% giving a real wage increase of barely registerable 0.1% 

Sure Trump comes across as a complete wally, his big wall idea is plain stupid and he appears to be a risk to global stability but when it comes to whether the average U.S citizen is better off under a Trump administration, the facts speak for themselves.

As the U.S left wing haters have been caught out peddling their corruption and lies, you have to wonder.  Maybe the U.S voters made the right choice after all and maybe Trump is not as stupid as he looks.

...Is it possible that this is all just misdirection so that nobody pays attention to the real things he is changing?

Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

sales have kept nosediving for months...the lights on lights off syndrome we put it down to that dreaded word that's running riot through the internet known as the "Algorithm"..keep saying it the best days of ebay have been and gone..its now an overpriced..outdated..unfair..selling platform...that every now and then tosses you a little light..but for the most part..it's an unpleasant experience we hope sales pick up for everyone...and we're sure people are trying so hard to improve their situation..it's doubly hard when the system is rigged...

Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

i think people are sick of the rubbish like amazon and ebay  and etsy (etsy who??)

I have moved everything, just about, to facebook-after all the biggest behemoth of social media-how can ebay ever expect to compete with them-it is so convenient to use facebook and then scroll over to the side and look on marketplace-global reach, fee free, no paypal, no stupid feedback, no credit card chargebacks, no silly rules, no fees on postage.

The decline you speak of i am not seeing on facebook-just growth on their market place.

Ebay is just a footnote really these days-went to look for a two cd's on ebay-can't even find it here, looked on facebook-bingo.

Using ebay/amazon/etsy who just makes people negative

Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

@chameleon54 wrote:

Statistics are capable of being incredibly misleading, though, especially if they are just percentages.

You have to look at the type of jobs being created, and stuff like how many a person has to have to be able to live comfortably. It's all well and good to say that unemployment is at a low, but if people have to work 3 part time jobs (because that's all they can get) are just barely making ends meet, there's still massive problems. 

Plus, the industries where he's created the most jobs are either dying, temporary and / or will do a lot of damage to the environment in the long term. 

Personally, I find the man himself absolutely abhorrent, in pretty much every single way, and I don't buy into the "he's just doing bad or stupid stuff to distract people from all the good he's doing" rhetoric - the American people aren't cats, who need to be entertained with a big, dumb fuzzy orange ball while someone else adminsters the worm meds they don't like but really need, lol.  (think back to the government shutdown he caused not so long ago, that was weeks that government employees went without pay, because he wanted to have a tantrum over funding for the stupid wall - around 800k US government employees that he crippled financially not just during, but for several months after - those are not the actions of a man who cares about the long term effects of his decisions on the people he serves).

Nor do I buy into the "they're out to get him - he must be doing something right", thing. Maybe, he's actually just doing stupid stuff because he has no education, understanding, or forethought with regards to economics, the environment, and many other political issues that are just as important as number of jobs available, or immigration, nor does he appear to have any regard to the long term effects of his decisions and actions, and people want to take him down because he's doing a lot that's either wrong, or actually dangerous.

Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

There are 3 kinds of Lies: Lies and Damned Lies, but then there are Statistics (Mark Twain popularised this saying but see link for attributions)

Not all are bad though and the most salient one to come out lately is the bond yield inversion currently occuring in the US with long duration bonds yielding less than short term ones.

In other words, the markets are expecting the economy to tank in the medium term.

If sustained for any lengthy period of time, this would point toward a recession in the US with a high degree of confidence so watch this space.

It's pretty certain that the whole neo-liberal economic model is faulty and is only sustainable in the short term.

This has increasingly become the view of most leading economists, the World Bank and the IMF.

Unrestrained Capitalism, as in Friedmanesque systems in play since the mid 80's, will have the effect of concentrating wealth at the apex of the capital pyramid (trickle down), so a big thanks to Maggie and Ron!

We fail to learn from our history repeatedly and disregard the lessons our forebears learned the hard way, that Capitalist systems need strong controls to function effectively and prevent this situation occurring.

The systems in place after WWII were based on the theories of Keynes which were designed to give govts prescriptive economic powers in an attempt to avoid the boom and bust cycles that had been the norm previously, particularly at the end of the 20's ie The Great Depression.

Unfortunately, this involved hard work and political menace for incumbent govts so the theories of Milton Friedman, who was head of the US Federal Reserve under Regan, held considerable appeal.

They went like this:

If govt's sold off all the public goods they were responsible for (Electricity supply, Rail, Post, Coms etc), they could not be held accountable for any price hikes as this was the result of mysterious and often spooky "market forces".

Thus, they could relieve themselves of both ownership and workload, not to mention responsibility.

They could then go to the people around election time with promises to make the economy great by giving business tax cuts and handouts in the hope that the electorate would gain employment and a rise in living standards.

What a beauty! Collect tax, sling it about, go to lunch, swig some Grange and enjoy a nice cigar in the courtyard afterwards.

This view was all well and good, and it does work in the short term, but when you stretch this sort of thing out, that capital concentration function built into the system begins to become unsustainable.

All those public companies and privatised services become pressed to show profit growth as consumers have less to spend.

So prices rise and the accountants sharpen their pencils and get to work cutting costs.

The low hanging fruit in this exercise is always the wage bill so the market as a result contracts and profits go down more.

Unfortunately, govt has no levers to pull as they gave them all away, so in reality, the best they can do is fiddle with the cash rate and hope for the best.

Or throw more cash at business and again, hope for the best.

So Capitalism doesn't work, but why not?

After all, didn't Adam Smith lay it all out in eloquently in his "Wealth of Nations"?

Well yes, he did, and it's definitely a much better system than the one Marx has to offer, but there is something adherents fail to take into account.

You see Smith was a moral philosopher, not an economist, and he was a Presbyterian Scot to boot.

Few people who read his "Wealth" tome, ahave ever read his original work.

This was:

The Theory of Moral Sentiments

He opens with these lines in the preface:

" How selfish soever man may be supposed, there are evidently some principles in his nature, which interest him in the fortunes of others, and render their happiness necessary to him, though he derives nothing from it, except the pleasure of seeing it.

Of this kind is pity or compassion, the emotion we feel for the misery of others, when we either see it, or are made to conceive it in a very lively manner.

That we often derive sorrow from the sorrows of others, is a matter of fact too obvious to require any instances to prove it; for this sentiment, like all the other original passions of human nature, is by no means confined to the virtuous or the humane, though they perhaps may feel it with the most exquisite sensibility.

The greatest ruffian, the most hardened violator of the laws of society, is not altogether without it".

How do you think this would be received in either the modern board room or the govts cabinet rooms?

But this is the prescription that underwrites his Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations and that's the book that defines our economic system.

So, to conclude, how the hell do we legislate for the above morality in Free Market Capitalism?

Maybe Digi is on the money with a UBI?

Maybe the Nordic countries are on the money by just being ethical?

What we see at the moment is a turning point in modern capitalist economics so sit back, relax and try to enjoy the ride.

Sales will pick up eventually when govt realises it's better to go for trickle up economics as that's what makes markets grow, even if it does involve some hard work to keep it on track.

Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

Wages have really stagnated...unlike the bills.   This would be enough to put a damper on any spending.

Before I retired there had been no wage increase for three years where I worked. 

Now all I get is the measly CPI indexed increase which is useless against the rise in gas, electricity, water and health insurance.

Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

Benjamin Disraeli coined the phrase, and Sam Clemens attributed it to him.

Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

Ebay is DEAD... IMHO..ZERO sales in 9 days...NEVER had it this bad....

Message 20 of 33
Latest reply