Do I have to accept paypal for pickup items?

I am currently selling some items of furniture.  People keep "buy it now" and then pay via paypal.  

I have asked to refund their money and to pay in cash, and they are ok with this.

Do I have to accept paypal for pickup?

What if they pickup and do a refund themselves?  How do I prove they have the item?  

I have searched ebay help and found no answer other than there is no seller protection for pickup on paypal!

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I don't have an answer for how you can prove that they have the item, however, yes - you do need to offer PayPal as a payment method for pick-up only items.

I suppose you could take a picture of them collecting the item??

It is possible that they won't be able to do an 'Item Not Received' complaint if they have a won a pick-up only item. I think the bigger concern in any case would be they claiming 'Item Not As Described' if they have paid by PayPal.

Message 2 of 27
Latest reply

There is no buyer or seller protection for items paid with paypal.

The biggest worry is that the buyer has funded the payment with a credit card and they do a chargeback in a few weeks time.

The best thing is to put in your listing that cash is preferred on pick up.  The buyer really should be inspecting the item before parting with their cash anyway as they cannot open a dispute if the item is not as described.

Message 3 of 27
Latest reply

There's no paypal protection for buyers for pick-up.

They have the opportunity to examine before they pay.

Therefore they should pay cash on pick up.    Not paypal

Paying for an item before you pick it up is just plain stupid.

If you change your mind, how do you get your money back

from a disgruntled seller?

Message 4 of 27
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

There's no paypal protection for buyers for pick-up.

They have the opportunity to examine before they pay.

Therefore they should pay cash on pick up.    Not paypal

Paying for an item before you pick it up is just plain stupid.

If you change your mind, how do you get your money back

from a disgruntled seller?

I'm not sure if that's true

http://pages2.ebay.com.au/eBay_Money_Back_Guarantee

Exclusions

• Vehicles, Real Estate, Websites & Business for Sale, Classified Ads and services, Tickets, Digital Goods and Intangibles are not covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee. Read the eBay Money Back Guarantee policy.
  • If you paid with a payment method other than PayPal, Paymate or via a credit card through checkout or as a PayPal Guest you won’t be covered by eBay Money Back Guarantee. PayPal Buyer Protection may be available for PayPal Guest checkout transactions.
  • If you have already opened a dispute with PayPal, you won’t be able to open a request or case with eBay.

Nothing there about 'Pick-up Only' items being excluded from Money Back Guarantee... and the MBG logo certainly appears still on Pick-up Only items.

Message 5 of 27
Latest reply

A common misconception.

You are confusing eBay's MGB, which probably has little basis in law, with Paypal protection.

It does make a difference. Paypal would be a complaint to the FOS, whereas eBay would be a complaint to the ACCC/Fair Trading.

Message 6 of 27
Latest reply

pick up is the best proof of buyer getting there goods  you can always get them to sign the invoice    they cant say its broken as they can inspect it  ,  i only do pick ups  and its perfect   i even have buyers pick up from my front door  and had no problems even have them leave money under my mat over the years have had hundreds of buyers pick up from my front door when i am not in , no problems  [ i mean with pick ups a buyer cant say they never got there goods  and if i am correct they cant get a paypal dispute

Message 7 of 27
Latest reply

If, however, they pay with Paypal funded by a credit card they can initiate a chargeback through their bank. Which, like your post, has nothing to do with the question.

Message 8 of 27
Latest reply

you cant get more proof than handing goods to the buyer with your own hands   the question with pick up only which i have on all my goods i do about 300 sales a month and about  25% pay with paypal  and thats because buyers are used to paypaling

in fact i get buyers picking up and paypaling whith there phone while colecting goods

Message 9 of 27
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

A common misconception.

You are confusing eBay's MGB, which probably has little basis in law, with Paypal protection.

It does make a difference. Paypal would be a complaint to the FOS, whereas eBay would be a complaint to the ACCC/Fair Trading.

Hmm. It was my understanding that the way that Money Back Guarantee works is that (with almost any item), eBay will reverse a PayPal payment at their own descretion.

Every week we see sellers here complaining about how eBay has stepped in and refunded buyers. I can't see how this would be any different for a 'Pick Up Only' item, provided that the buyer chose to pay with PayPal.

Message 10 of 27
Latest reply