Do I have to sell to the highest bidder at the end of the auction or can I relist my item?

I have a price in mind that I would like to get for an item I am selling but being new at the auction feature on ebay I am not acoustomed to the rules.  Does anyone know a person or persons bid but it hasn't come close enough am I obligated to sell to the highest bidder or can I relist the item?  

Secondly, I am wondering if it is okay to end an auction early.  I am totally unfamiliar with the rules.

Will greatly appreciate any advice.

Message 1 of 18
Latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Do I have to sell to the highest bidder at the end of the auction or can I relist my item?

Hi. yes you are. It is a contract and you have to accept the final price. If you dont want to risk a low price dont start it low. Start it at the price you are happy with.

you can end an auction early with a valid reason but remember many bids come in very late- some in the last few seconds.

good luck 🙂

Message 2 of 18
Latest reply

It always pays to start the auction at the lowest price you are willing to accept for an item, this becoming your reserve price. . You are legally and morally obliged to sell to the highest bidder and if you refuse, they can leave negative feedback for you which could seriously affect your future auctions. You can cancel bids and end an auction early ( up to 12 hours before the auction closes I think from memory ). Just type end auction early into customer support section at top right of toolbar. You need to be aware that if you have a few watchers on your item, some of these may be genuine buyers who will bid in the last 30 seconds of the auction. This happens all of the time on ebay. A $2.00 item can jump to $200.00 in the last ten seconds.

Message 3 of 18
Latest reply

Hi Matey, the above post answers your questions, but you also said that you would appreciate any advice.

My advice to you is to read the rules and become very familiar with them BEFORE you sell OR buy anything else on eBay.

Head to the Site Map down the bottom of the pages or Customer Support at the top left and then, come here to the Discussion Boards to clear up anything that you don't understand.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 18
Latest reply

oops, did mean to say "Best of luck" with your eBay sales.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 18
Latest reply

pssst crikey..... Customer support is top right,  innit? You know, your other left

>>>>  . <<<<

Message 6 of 18
Latest reply

do you know if i have to sell if a final bid is lower than my buy now price.

Many Thanks

Message 7 of 18
Latest reply

Read the responses from over 8 YEARS AGO...............yes you do, or risk a neg feedback and possible sanctions from eBay.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 18
Latest reply

@phily168 wrote:

do you know if i have to sell if a final bid is lower than my buy now price.

Many Thanks

Your buy it now price is not a reserve.

Buyers will think of it as a suggested top price.

So if you had an item and started it as eg $20, with a buy it now at $80, most likely no one would bid $80 straight off.

They would start the auction at $20. At that point, the buy it now price disappears and no one can see it.

You are expected to sell to the highest bidder and be awars, bidding might only go to $20.

So-start your auction at whatever you were thinking of as a buy it now price as that will then be the lowest anyone can buy it for and it may even go higher..

Message 9 of 18
Latest reply

Yes, springy. Auctions are no guarantee for the same or a better price than the BIN.

I have seen auctions go in both directions. Sometimes bidders started a fight and the final bid was higher than the BIN, even much higher. Other times though things were quiet and the final bid was much lower than the original BIN.

Message 10 of 18
Latest reply