EBAY'S NEW HEALTH CHECK - I think it is seriously SICK!!

Just received eBay's latest assistance to sellers *Ebay's NEW HEALTH CHECK* .

This may be old news but they are moving timed BUY IT NOW and will move all my listings to GOOD TIL CANCELLED. Well that is not what I want but then again we have no say. 

This does not suit me for many reasons with something new I like to use 10 days as an option. The rest are 30 day listings which gives me the option to adjust the listings if they are not attracting buyers or watches. I will sometimes group them with other items etc. 

I find the 30 day listings far more manageable for my business needs. 

So if all fixed listings are good til cancelled I dare say the next step will be for those with ebay stores will be reduced with the amount of fixed listings in their subscription. 

Good til cancelled also means there will be a hell of a lot of old stock on there for years or if I remember correctly they were bringing in limited time for listings.

I have had my vent but OH SO FRUSTRATING makes me wonder why I am doing this. 

Message 1 of 374
Latest reply
373 REPLIES 373

Re: EBAY'S NEW HEALTH CHECK - I think it is seriously SICK!!

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@oz-e-seller wrote:

I've seen a lot of sellers saying they're planning to end their listings just before they are due to renew so I thought I'd better share here that I have been told by an ebay help rep that if you end too many listings you can get a defect on your account. I'm not sure how many items get you a defect or how many defects you're allowed or anything like that but that's what I've been told so I'd be careful with the bulk ending and relisting of numerous items.

Unless things have changed, you only get into trouble if you end too many auctions that have bids on them. I think you can end 2 with bids, then you get into trouble. BIN listings, there is no limit as far as I know. Sellers end bucket loads of listings all the time, for things like going on holidays, moving house, lots of reasons. Non stores don't have the option of going into holiday mode, so only have the choice of ending everything.

Yeah I don't know was just passing on what the ebay rep told me. Perhaps it's a new thing, or they have the wrong info. I have a store so maybe it's for stores only. Could ring them to clarify but 5 people would probably get 7 different answers lol.

Message 321 of 374
Latest reply

Message 322 of 374
Latest reply

I got a warning from Ebay at Christmas time for ending a BIN listing.

I'm a non store seller.

I had an item as BIN which had been sitting for a while unsold.  But I had a lot of interest and enquiries.

Several potential buyers had sent me their phone numbers and asking me to contact them - but I am trying to do the right thing and I let them know that this is against Ebay policy.  Missing out on a sale in the meantime I might add.

So then I cancel the listing at Christmas (I think I used the excuse Ítem no longer available) as I am going on holiday and took down all my listings.

Ebay then send me a message warning me not to sell outside of Ebay.  They had assumed I had sold the item to one of the buyers that had provided their phone numbers.  Which I hadn't.

I relisted the same item in the new year when I got back. 

So Ebay do get narky if you cancel BIN listings.  Only if the bots have been tracking your messages though 🙂

Message 323 of 374
Latest reply

If you tick the box next to the listing, then select "end listing" from the actions drop down menu at the top of the page, you don't have to select a reason.

It's also an easier way to end multiple BIN listings.

It can only be used with BINs, auctions have to be ended individually and have a reason chosen.

I think the reason you got a warning was the reason you selected for ending it, along with the messages.

Message 324 of 374
Latest reply

Not true. There are no extra listing fees if you stick to your allocation and only list between the 15th and 28th of the month.

Additionally, eBay advertises to buyers all listings are 30-days and charges you for 30-days of a service.

Previously you were offered 600 unique listings a month for a year (7,200) (if on an annual contract). Now you are being offered 600 unique listings for a year unless you manually end all listing prior to their buyer advertised 30-day expiry (assuming the seller uses 30-day exlusively). This creates a manual labour burden, a fee threat, and depleted listing exposure at the heart of the seller experience.

The only way a listing can meet the eBay-advertised and 30-day paid for expectations is if you pay for 2 listings.

If every listings is paid for twice or uses two zero-insertion credits to get the advertised 30-day amount then eBay is offering 50% less with potentially absorbent extra-fees with no way to reasonably track hundreds (thousands) of listings.

Message 325 of 374
Latest reply

@5kazam
So if everyone is going to be on GTC, how will that affect search rankings.

Will we be forced to pay for a "Promotion" to have an item placed with a decent ranking?

Isn't this kind of like paying a grocery store to have your items on a shelf. Then going to the store to find a tag for your item on the shelf and having to find and ask staff if there is any of your item from the backroom. Then being told by the manager you can pay a "promotion" *bribe*gag*bribe* to have the item placed on the shelf where you paid?

Message 326 of 374
Latest reply

@stable05

So Ebay do get narky if you cancel BIN listings. Only if the bots have been tracking your messages though 🙂

Then... Do Androids Dream of Bots?

Message 327 of 374
Latest reply

I think you'll find ebay.com.au has different deals for sellers than ebay.ca and ebay.com.
Message 328 of 374
Latest reply

Yet are unrolling similar practice across all three sites.

BTW I love my Australian and New Zealand customers; they are some of the best 🙂
Message 329 of 374
Latest reply

@tryubik-useonlyasdirected wrote:

@5kazam
So if everyone is going to be on GTC, how will that affect search rankings.

Will we be forced to pay for a "Promotion" to have an item placed with a decent ranking?

Isn't this kind of like paying a grocery store to have your items on a shelf. Then going to the store to find a tag for your item on the shelf and having to find and ask staff if there is any of your item from the backroom. Then being told by the manager you can pay a "promotion" *bribe*gag*bribe* to have the item placed on the shelf where you paid?

The grocery store analogy is pretty apt, though rather than having the stock out back, it just determines the position on the shelf - because while they might stock 10 different brands of a particular item, brands who pay for eye-level placement will typically sell the most.

Then there's the aisle-end promotions, or just products in a box rather than the shelf. 

Not that I'm attempting to defend promoted listings - I haven't used them, and don't ever intend to - I do have to commend ebay on one thing, which is only charging sellers if the item actually sells through a buyer clicking on a promoted ad link. Most other sites (including google) use a pay per click system, which is rife with click fraud.  

Message 330 of 374
Latest reply