Ebay Final Value Fee RIP OFF

jjee2160
Community Member

I sold an item value $3000AUD and they took $430AUD off from me... wow ridiculous. Selling an item costs me over $400. "Listing is free" and then after item sold out, here you go ridiculous hidden fees that you didn't expect. Which plaform in the world would take that much? Greedy. 

At least final value fee should be shown on the page when listing item. 

No more ebay for me. 

Message 1 of 81
Latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

@jjee2160 wrote:

At least final value fee should be shown on the page when listing item. 

They are .

No more ebay for me. 

A wise decision.

Message 2 of 81
Latest reply

Listing IS free

Selling  is not

two totally different things

The fees are not hidden

All the information is right there

And was agreed to by you when you made the choice to list

I do hope you fully signed up to Managed Payments before you listed

and are aware of the hold there will be on your funds

But since you did not even so much as look at the bare basics of selling, I doubt it

eBay don't read here and have no clue if you use the site again or not

I am surprised you were even allowed to list such an expensive item, especially  when you failed to honour your last sale

We can only hope for you that your buyer does not take advantage of your lack of experience

I do mean that, because many buyers do do exactly that to inexperienced sellers with $$$ items

Message 3 of 81
Latest reply

Sure, listing and selling is totally different things, but what is the point of free listing if you gonna eventually pay fee? You LIST the item to SELL

Sure the information is right there 'somewhere', and yes I am inexperienced seller as I don't sell item often, so ebay should consider for people like me who has lack experience, by at least showing final fees, international fees, etc on listing pages, not just "FREE LISTING". No generousity there. Do you think $400AUD fee for selling is reasonable? I am pretty sure I am not the only one here who had this issue. 

I did put tracking number so I assume I get my payment within 2 days. 

After all it's my fault selling on ebay.  I want people to know about this and I want to somewhat relieve my resentment

so I posted here. 

No more ebay for me. 

Message 4 of 81
Latest reply

After all it's my fault selling on ebay.  I want people to know about this and I want to somewhat relieve my resentment

so I posted here. 

No more ebay for me. 

Why resentment? YOU are the one who hasn't even bothered with the basics, let alone the cost of selling. There has always been a fee based on the final selling price of an item and it has been around 13.4% for a very, very long time, based on the combination of item and postage price together.

Are you fully signed up and ID verified with a bank account? Otherwise you'll NEVER see your money. Since you are an intermittent/new seller, you definitely won't be getting your money in 2 days. You'll be lucky to get the money in 3-4 weeks. The Managed Payment system has been in place for over 2 years now.

And hopefully this transaction doesn't go south and the buyer open a dispute. There are many, many scammers out there just waiting for an opportunity to fleece an inexperienced buyers flogging high priced merchandise.

You did send with Signature on Delivery right? This is a requirement for anything over $750.

I'm seriously astonished by your naivety on this site. Selling a high priced item should involve a serious level of research as to costs and what to do when and if things go wrong.

Message 5 of 81
Latest reply

I did not use ebay over the past few years.. I learnt the lesson. 

I've changed my banking account details today. With a red banner it says it will be delayed for up to 48 hours. I don't know if that would verify.  

and also I did send with Signature on delivery. 

The buyer is in UK and he told me to put item value around $180 when filling the form so he doesn't have to pay taxes/customs.

Would it be matter..? 

Message 6 of 81
Latest reply

Would it be matter??

Only if you are prepared to lie.

Message 7 of 81
Latest reply

The buyer is in UK and he told me to put item value around $180 when filling the form so he doesn't have to pay taxes/customs.

That's a criminal offence.  Let's hope you don't get caught.

Message 8 of 81
Latest reply

New seller with absolutely no idea what they are doing, have obviously not made any attempt to learn about selling  on ebay.

Selling high value items,  that are commonly known to be very attractive to online scammers,  is not very wize for the inexperienced.

Selling Fees And all selling policies,including those applicable to new sellers, are all readily available.  Nothing is hidden.

At least you have sensibly, removed your unsold listings.

Edit:  Just to add, where do you get the idea that you are going to be paid in 2 days.  That is not going to happen.

Message 9 of 81
Latest reply

Holey Smokes, you're prepared to commit fraud for a stranger? That's a serious offence and a massive potential fine of more than AUD$1000+.

I'm pretty sure that all Ebay transactions now have overseas duties included in the sales price. Have a look at the invoice and see what it says under taxes. There should be nothing further for the buyer to pay, so it would have been far better to be honest.

Did you include the paperwork with the parcel? It won't exactly be hard for Customs to open the package and work out the true value.

You seriously do not have any idea of what you're doing.

I am waiting for the day that the buyer opens a dispute against you in a few weeks time, because this transaction seems to be heading that way. And you probably won't even have received the funds from Ebay by that stage.

Message 10 of 81
Latest reply