Ebay and PayPal now seperate companies

Can Ebay continue to force sellers to accept payment by Paypal as the preferrde method of payment?

If so is it legal?

CanEbay access sellers Paypal account to withdraw and place on hold payments ?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

@bluefaff wrote:

Can Ebay continue to force sellers to accept payment by Paypal as the preferrde method of payment?

If so is it legal?

CanEbay access sellers Paypal account to withdraw and place on hold payments ?

1. No, they never have forced sellers to accept Paypal.

2. So, yes

3. No, but you have authorised eBay to have Paypal do it on eBay's say-so.

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Ebay and paypal have always been separate companies with separate user agreements.....the only difference is that ebay owned paypal, now it doesn't.

There is very little difference in the way paypal has been run over the years.....I have been using it since before ebay bought it out, while it was owned by ebay and now it has gone full circle and is no longer owned by ebay.

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Ebay did force sellers to offer PayPal, For those that remember they tried to make PayPal the only accepted form of payment but backed down (but from that point on you could not list an item without offering PayPal as a payment method). From then on they also made PayPal the default payment setting showing up first for buyers. Then only allowing returns etc for items paid for by PayPal.

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

You most certainly did not have to have Paypal, you could have Paymate or a merchent card facility instead. You could also leave ebay if you did not want to use Paypal although I for one cannot understand why anyone would not want to use it, I have had an account in the UK since long before they expanded into Australia and opened my Australian account the day it became available.

I believe ebay are no longer going to support Paymate which I do not blame them for as it is virtually unknown and it would be very expensive I would imagine to support a system that is used by so few whie Paypal is used all over the world by millions of businesses, not just ebay.  I don't know about Australia but in the last few months nearly every payment I have made on line here in the UK has had the option of using Paypal, so much easier than having to get out your plastic and fill in all the details.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

@rocket2retro wrote:

Ebay did force sellers to offer PayPal, 

Indeed they did. 

A lot of people seem to have forgotten, but I remember, and remember it well - I'm not referring to eBay wanting to enforce PayPal only, though, I'm talking about requiring sellers to offer PayPal. When I first started selling, although I could offer other payment methods in addition to PayPal, I had no choice at all about offering it. It wasn't until quite a bit later that they introduced the choice between their approved, safe payment methods. 

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@rocket2retro wrote:

Ebay did force sellers to offer PayPal, 

Indeed they did. 

A lot of people seem to have forgotten, but I remember, and remember it well - I'm not referring to eBay wanting to enforce PayPal only, though, I'm talking about requiring sellers to offer PayPal. When I first started selling, although I could offer other payment methods in addition to PayPal, I had no choice at all about offering it. It wasn't until quite a bit later that they introduced the choice between their approved, safe payment methods. 

That hasn't been the case for quite a while and certainly isn't the case now. Which was what the OP was asking.

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

That hasn't been the case for quite a while and certainly isn't the case now. Which was what the OP was asking.

I wasn't responding to the OP.

I was responding to someone else, and referred (in part) to two posts in this thread that made an incorrect statement (one being yours "they never have forced sellers to accept Paypal", the other being PJ's "You most certainly did not have to have Paypal"). 

If my response is irrelevant, which is what I presume you're suggesting, then yours is too, as well as being incorrect. So there. Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

It's too late for me to edit my previous post, so just posting that I rescind my last comment, with apologies. It was not necessary or called for - self-reporting it. 

Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Petrhaps one did have to open a Paypal account at some point but as I already had a UK Paypal accont and offered it as a payment method right from the start I wouldn't have been in that position.

I honestly cannot see why so many people in Australia have a problem with Paypal, it is used by the vast majority of buyers in the UK and the US even when other choices are available.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply