Ebay discouraging new 'non-business' sellers

Recently I had a one off item I wanted to sell on ebay. First time I have sold anything on ebay for several years. First up I had to register a bank account with ebay, something I did but was not 100% comfortable about. I much preferred the old Paypal system. But what I am less unhappy about is the fact that ebay were not forthcoming about the entire process. To set up the bank account, they failed to tell me the timelines & the whole process to set up a single ebay ad was more time consuming than it was worth bothering with for a small one off sale. But that was only the beginning. The requirement for them to check my bank account by placing two micro deposits in it I reasonably assumed would occur once I set up the ad, but no, it didn't happen until the sale had completed & took several days. In addition to this I am then told, for the first time, that ebay would hold onto the payment made by the buyer for more than two weeks! Initially the way I read the info I found (had to go searching, it wasn't just provided in a message prior to me 'signing up as a seller as it should have been)  that ebay would hold onto my money until the buyer indicated they had received the item & were happy with it - ie provided positive feedback. "Ah well" I thought "that's fair enough provided the buyer leaves feedback - but not all do" & I wondered what would happen to my money if no feedback were left. As it was the buyer received the item promptly & left prompt positive feedback saying they were 'very happy' with the item & with my service as a seller. So where is my money? More searching revealed that ebay were going to hold onto my money for a further week (two weeks after the sale, & one week after the feedback received). Somewhere I read that ebay don't profit from holding on to my money - yeah right! So who does? And why was this whole holding onto my money business not made clear to me before I even signed up as a seller in their new system?  The amount of my time wasted with all of this was worth more than the circa $80 after postage that I received for the item. I really don't think I'll be wasting my time selling anything else on ebay any time soon. It seems that what was once a service for individuals to sell items no longer needed, that ebay is now only interested in 'business sellers', & that's not me. 

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

Re: Ebay discouraging new 'non-business' sellers

Of course they won't, because the chances are that if they were upfront about the various delays & holds fewer still would bother to try selling. I"m sure you are correct that the info is out there to be found, but finding it all is not straightforward for someone who is a first time seller in the new system, which, by the way is nowhere near 2 years old in Australia.  A few months I believe. 

You believe wrong - Managed Payments started in Australia in July 2020.

Message 11 of 39
Latest reply

@cuppa500 wrote:

Another reply from someone who thinks what happens where they live applies worldwide! Sheesh!

Sounds like what you say about Amazon & Etsy probably means that they have a better process. Sellers know where they stand as regards the process BEFORE selling. How sensible! Allowing folk to sell without that process being first completed is silly, particularly when that process is not fully explained upfront, & leaves the new seller to search for info that they don't know whether exists or not. 

Take the $20 postage I had to pay after receiving payment leaves approx $90 , not $80. 

You're writing on the Australian boards so everyone who is replying to you LIVES IN AUSTRALIA. Good grief.

And YOU charged the buyer $20 for postage, so it did not come out of your pocket! 

Message 12 of 39
Latest reply

Perhaps the OP would like to have a read through the forum about sellers talking about being on/having to change  over to/using /conditions of Managed Payments etc etc that go all the way back to 2020

Certainly many, many dozens of topics to choose from

Since we are apparently just making it up for the sake of it 

Message 13 of 39
Latest reply

The majority of replies here:

a) wrongly assume that we have had managed ebay payments in Australia for the same period of time they have been established where the contributors live. Presumably USA-centric. I have news for you, the rest of the world does not revolve around the USA (thank goodness!). 

b) push the view that anyone supporting ebay's selling service should be soley responsible for finding out all the info & that it is not reasonable for Ebay to provide a new seller with a comprehensive 'new potential seller' message outlining process & timeframes of that process.  This may be the modern way (for big companies to profit from users whilst pushing as much responsibility away from the company & onto the users shoulders, & perhaps this fits the culture of some countries more than others - but I do not agree that it is reasonable). Just a cynical attempt to appear reasonable

c) You mostly sound like ebay 'groupies' unwilling to accept that what you have accepted is unreasonable in the eyes of others. Perhaps in the two years you all seem to quote you are the people who went along with the changes, & you have forgotten those who presumably were less happy about the changes back then. That is a process you may have been through, but to take the tone that you have taken with me displays a certain amount of arrogance & ignorance. If you are the sort of people that ebay exists for it can have you. Sooner or later it will fail as a result if unable, like yourselves, to hear criticism without making an attacking response.

Message 14 of 39
Latest reply

Ok, so 2 years managed Payments has been in place. It makes no difference whether 2 years or 20 years to someone who has never used it before. Your familiarity seems to assume all new sellers should have the same familiarity, & that there is no need for ebay to make the 'entry' into selling more transparent & welcoming than it is. If you don't like me being p*ssed off about how this was managed, & can only criticise me as a result, instead of trying to understand my point of view with a view to improving how things are done perhaps it's best you stay away from reponding to anyone who is unhappy about how ebay works. 

Message 15 of 39
Latest reply

Firstly - eBay is a selling platform - and takes no responsibility for sellers.

Secondly - the MP's have been around for a couple of years - if wanting to be a seller - make yourself aware of the policies.

Thirdly - having made yourself aware - as selling is only up to you - do all that is necessary - before listing - it's all there and has been for the past couple of years.

You cannot plead ignorance.

Should I go on - oh - eBay do not make a profit on held monies - it's against the law.

Message 16 of 39
Latest reply

@cuppa500 wrote:

Your familiarity seems to assume all new sellers should have the same familiarity, & that there is no need for ebay to make the 'entry' into selling more transparent & welcoming than it is. 

eBay has their help pages for both buyers and sellers, which can be found at the top of any eBay page,

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/home

It really is up to those new buyers and sellers to make themselves aware of eBay's policies before they get themselves into a pickle and have to contact eBay's CS - who will more than likely give you a scripted response off a "cheat-sheet".

Or you can come here to get experienced members help, which is likely to be relevant to your problem.

A lot of members will not sugar-coat their responses if you don't like the answers you're getting. It would be pointless giving you the answers you want to hear if they are not relevant to your situation.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 17 of 39
Latest reply

@cuppa500,

The responders here are Australian. If you'd like to see where any of the posters are registered (and that means that they are domiciled in the country of registration, unless they have subsequently moved from the country of registration - which is unlikely for a number of reasons), you can click onto their feedback profile page and see the country of registration.

Spoiler

CAVEAT: we do have a handful of posters who are registered in other countries. Sometimes they post here like a butterfly alighting momentarily upon a delicate nectar-exuding flower of gorgeous beauty... having mistaken these eBay.com.au forums for ones in their own country. More rarely, some post for social engagement in the Community Spirit board.

Hence, you are incorrect in making comments about US-centricity, or lack of knowledge by virtue of being in the US, or arrogance in claiming incorrect timeframe.

The timeframe mentioned here, concerning when Managed Payments were first introduced in Australia and made mandatory for all sellers in Australia, is correct.

Managed Payments is not as user-friendly for eBayers who are only occasional sellers (as opposed to regular sellers, in particular sellers who are operating as a business), because it has requirements and timeframes for payouts that are directly related to when a seller last sold, their reliable sales history, and so on. For example, a person may have been an eBay member for 10 years, and sold some items occasionally in the past (say, 3 or 4 years ago?), but that person will be classed by eBay as a "new seller" and their payments will take a while to be released, as per eBay's T&Cs.

However, by all accounts Managed Payments works perfectly well for those sellers who are selling regularly.

If you've sold in the past, you might have assumed that things hadn't really changed. However, they have - drastically. I have an email from eBay, dated 18/06/2020, which refers to Managed Payments and the updated User Agreement reflecting that.

Spoiler

eBay User Agreement

We're updating our User Agreement to reflect that eBay's payments entity, eBay Commerce Australia Pty Ltd, will begin managing payments on behalf of sellers on eBay.com.au. The updated User Agreement will take effect on 20 July 2020.

What's in it for you:

• โ€ข

The new Managed payments section details what buyers and sellers need to know when using this service.

• โ€ข

We've updated the sections relating to Returns and eBay Money Back Guarantee and Buying and selling internationally for clarity and to reflect the introduction of the managed payments service.

As a buyer, you don't need to do anything else โ€“ you'll begin seeing new payment options when shopping on eBay as they become available. As a seller, you can learn more about managed payments in our Seller Centre.

As always, thank you for being part of eBay.
The eBay Team

To the best of my knowledge, the micro-deposits' timing is unrelated to when you first list an item or make your first sale. In fact, you should wait until your account is verified before listing anything, precisely to avoid an unnecessary delay with payment holds.

However, you're still subjected to a payment hold as a new seller. This is a fraud mitigation measure by eBay/Adyen.

There is an obvious way to prove oneself a reliable seller without having funds on hold, but I won't be posting that at this point.

You should read through as much of the eBay Help pages as you can, in particular those listed under Selling.

As you're a new seller, if you intend to continue selling, you could do a lot worse than ask here about which of the Help pages are of particular use, what you should do before selling, and how you can navigate some of the pitfalls here. But if you flat-out contradict people posting here trying to help you, it's not getting off on the right foot...

Genuinely, though, people here WILL give helpful advice.

Message 18 of 39
Latest reply

Managed payments has definitely been in Australia for two years, and yes I was in the first uptake, and as Sandy said, had a two year lead time as well.

Holds has been in place for over 4yrs, that is it was operating under paypal, before continuing under managed payments,

All the relevant info has been readily available via ebay for well over 2 yrs, I know because I made myself aware of all the changes before continuing to sell via ebay under managed payments

Message 19 of 39
Latest reply

There's a question mark on the top of the page on the right hand side.

That's the Help page

Click on it and type in Managed Payments.

All the info you need is there

Some reading - by you  -  will not go astray.

All responders here are Aussies, and your attitude may not get you any further help on your next visit - just sayin'

Message 20 of 39
Latest reply