Feedback is Optional.

I am trying to decide if as a seller I will continue to leave feedback. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: Feedback is Optional.

I have a fairly high volume (for one person to manage) of low-value sales, so I have to streamline my process as much as possible. I can't afford to spend 30 seconds click-click-clicking back and forth to write feedback because each one adds up and it's time I need to spend photographing, writing new listings etc. I leave automated feedback when the buyer pays. The feedback is generic and doesn't mention how fast they paid (as they may not have paid fast).

On the rare occasion there's a problem with the order, where I wish I hadn't left the feedback, I put it down to the "cost of doing business" just like "lost in the mail" refunds and the *grrrrr* $15 chargeback + full refund I had last year after the buyer left positive feedback then claimed the cc use was unauthorised and wouldn't return the item. Beyond that it's not worth giving it a second thought.

The only time I leave customised feedback is when the buyer picks up the item and pays cash - *if* I remember to write it before marking the item as paid, otherwise the automated feedback kicks in. As there was a more personal interaction I prefer to leave personal feedback.

The reason I leave feedback is because I don't want to have to deal with requests to leave feedback, and because it may encourage buyers to leave me feedback. Now that my store is a business rather than just a hobby, the number next to my name is kind of important because I worked hard for it! Hopefully it shows buyers my experience and commitment to customer satisfaction.

Message 31 of 34
Latest reply

I also leave feedback as soon as I've posted the item for exactly the same reasons, and with the same result, as thecatspjs.

Message 32 of 34
Latest reply

Feedback is optional but if a buyer does the right thing by you and all goes well with the transaction, for heaven's sakes, leave a positive, it won't kill you.

If someone mucks you around, is slow to pay, makes trouble for no good reason, then.. don't leave any feedback.

But there are a couple of reasons why you should leave feedback for the goodies.

1. Buyers might be sellers one day and it helps if they have a decent score to start out with. Sure, I know it is only a buying score, but it shows they have been on ebay a while and are at least familiar with how it all works. It gives others a bit more confidence that things might work out if they give this seller a try. So your buyers might be grateful to you if you can help them build up a decent score.

2. It makes you look more competent and organised as a seller. Can I also suggest that once you post an item, you mark it as posted on the "My ebay' spot as well. It's only an impression but a seller who posts reasonably quickly crosses the t's, dots the i's-they inspire confidence. You may not agree with me but it is how a lot of buyers see it, you aren't going to change human nature, so just go with the flow.

Message 33 of 34
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member
Not only is it a common courtesy to acknowledge a buyer's payment and thank them for it, when I leave feedback for a buyer I also specify the date on which their item was posted so that there can be no argument if they claim I was late in posting it. IOW, it's additional evidence that the date I marked their item as posted is correct. Ultimately, however, good manners cost nothing.
Message 34 of 34
Latest reply