First return under new "November" rules- I admit I am a bit confused!

My very first entry in that lovely "returns" column that appeared late last year.

Basically my buyer has received the item AOK but has purchased the wrong thing and that big juicy return button was the thing they turned to (naturally enough) when they wanted to fix it. I listed a 7' Tablet cover, its very cleary stated, they have an 8" tablet. Same brand wrong size. They are asking fo a return for "wrong size" and I have "no returns" as my listed policy.

I have had a good read around here and eBay but I am unclear about a couple of thigs so here goes:

- Have I just copped a "defect" for having a return request or is it only if it gets escalated?

- I dont mind helping the person out and accepting a return but this is clearly 100% their error so must I lose the postage, the eBay and the PayPal fees or can I reasonably negotiate a partiale refund? IE I accept the item back and refund them minus the costs they caused? Or is that too reasonable? Lol.

- I would like to just not accept a return at all but they havent done feedback and I guess they will "get me" in some way so I am will ing to play ball.

Cheers

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: First return under new "November" rules- I admit I am a bit confused!

@black*poppy wrote:

All correct Jen except it hasn't been my experience that ebay will credit the fees back - firstly for a change of mind return I didn't refund the postage, but even if I had I've been told that as a transaction did occur and as money changed hands that the fees could not be credited.  

Has it been your experience to get your fees back?

Yes we have always got the FVF's and the Paypal fees reimbursed. It is done automatically once the refund is issued.

This is the email which comes from ebay when the refund is issued.

You've issued a XXX refund for XXXXX. We'll credit you the final value fee and the appropriate PayPal fee.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Does anyone know if the open return just automatically closes at some point if they dont repond any further?

Yes it does close automatically. It is supposed to close automatically after about 30 days but a couple of mine have taken a couple of months before they are finally closed by ebay.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

saarzi
Community Member

A return request doesnt automatically get a defect (some will say it does, it doesnt, see HERE) - a return only gets a defect if it is returned for something that indicates the item was not as described - it depends on what option the buyer chooses in the dropdown box when they initiate the return. Occassionally youll get a defect anyway for a return, which will be removed within a few days automatically.

Technically, youre not obliged to refund. However, if the buyer takes the matter futher, Ebay almost always sides with them and will force the refund, and then youll probably get a defect from a negative feedback from the buyer anyway.

If I was in your position, I would be very nice and helpful and word things carefully -

"Hi there,

Oh no!  We're sorry to hear youve chosen to wrong size!  Dont worry -  as stated in the item description we dont tecnically accept refunds on this item, however,  we're more than happy to help you out 🙂

A couple of options for you -

1. Return the item and as soon as we receive it, we can give you a refund of the item price (you will need to pay for postage)

2. Keep the item and we can give you 60% of item price as credit in our store

(or whatever will cover your costs or whatever 2nd option youre happy with)...

Let us know what you would like to do as soon as you can so we can get this sorted out quickly for you.

Many thanks, "

oorrrr something like that. Id give him choices (no more than 2), so that he feels in control (feels, not is).

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

I too had a no return policy (I sell lingerie). Unfortunately if a buyer wants a return they only have to hit the NAD button and the seller has to decide whether to risk losing out completely in a dispute e.g. item not returned.

In my case I negotiated a return, I had to wear the return postage, in exchange for revised feedback with the buyer - even so I am still trying to get the defects removed by eBay. I have called twice now and both times they agreed it was buyer's remorse and they said they would be removed but didn't follow through.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

My understanding is that you get a defect if you press ACCEPT RETURN.    What is recommended is that you continue to reply by email to the buyer and negotiate a happy outcome, and then ask the buyer to close the dispute = no defect.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

You don't receive a defect when a buyer selects they want to return something as it is the wrong size - that comes under a change of mind purchase.

If you are willing to accept the item back then you can send a message to the buyer through the returns console outlining under what terms you will accept the return - ie the buyer has to pay the return postage.

If the item is returned once a refund is issued ebay will remimburse you for the ebay fees and you will get some of the paypal fees back (the 30c transaction fee will not be refunded by Paypal).

If you click the Accept return button no defect applies when a buyer selects wrong size as the reason for wanting to return an item.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

All correct Jen except it hasn't been my experience that ebay will credit the fees back - firstly for a change of mind return I didn't refund the postage, but even if I had I've been told that as a transaction did occur and as money changed hands that the fees could not be credited.  

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

@black*poppy wrote:

Yes we have always got the FVF's and the Paypal fees reimbursed. It is done automatically once the refund is issued.

This is the email which comes from ebay when the refund is issued.

You've issued a XXX refund for XXXXX. We'll credit you the final value fee and the appropriate PayPal fee.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Cheers Jen, I'll have to chase that one up.  The lies, the lies!!

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Some great advice here thanks all.

I have wriiten to the buyer and asked him if he has opened the packet. I only though of that afterwards. As this is a tech related item and has a seal on it, I wont be able to sell it as new if he has.

Yes this is definitely an equivelent case of "change of mind" in my opinion.  I cant control it if a buyer buys the wrong item. As a seller I am very careful to spell out all the details in large font.

I must say eBay really have left a confusing mess with these returns. As a reasonably  intelligent person (cough cough) and reading everything I can, I can't get a definite consise idea about the process from eBay. There seem to be many unclear questions. I am willing to help where reasonable and obviously dont want any defects etc but it seems to be all quite unclear.

@currone, you say that if I hit the "accept return" button I will get a defect? OK I will definitely avoid that then.

Another question I have is: what happens if the buyer, having opened the return then simple doesnt communicate? Then he escalates it. Would I most probabaly lose? What would happen if they just leave the dispute open?

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

rksfamily please reread Jensmanchester posts about defects - they are correct and based on experience of the system as a high volume seller that accepts returns.

The other advice about getting a defect is incorrect if the buyer has requested a return and the reason give is "it is the wrong size or does not fit" - you can then accept or decline the return (if you definitely had a no returns policy selected on that listing) without getting a defect.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply