Forcing me to managed payment or deny new listings

I wanted to put up a new item but message came up I must register to managed payments. So I go to the link where it says "express interest". I fill out the form but skip the "Why are you interested in managed payments?" because I am not interested in it. Off course it won't let me continue. So I feel I'm being forced to voluntarily sign up for something I don't want. When I dig deeper, I find they also want driver's licence and who knows what other persona information which in no way I will submit to some private company online.

The question I have is it even legal to force people this way or simply deny their service?

I've been with ebay since the start but this will probably be the end of it. What are your thoughts

Message 1 of 138
Latest reply
137 REPLIES 137

Re: Forcing me to managed payment or deny new listings

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If you want to sell on ebay you have to sign up to managed payments.....ebay's playground, ebay's rules.

The payments processor Adyen is registered with the Australian Banking system which is why you have to provide acceptable ID....just like you did with paypal.   There is nothing suspicious about it.

It is perfectly legal.....you don't have to use ebay if you object to their terms and conditions.

Message 2 of 138
Latest reply

Not only is it legal, it is now legally required,  So ebay is compelled to request certain info  and if you refuse or fail to provide the info requested, then you will not be selling on ebay.

Message 3 of 138
Latest reply

I certainly didn't have to submit my driver's licence to Paypal. They verified my credit card, that was it.

I hear you need to provide d. licence, credit card and even bank balance but since I can't find any official info on this I can't confirm that. Feel free to provide the requirements in detail if you know what it takes. Personally I wouldn't put my D. licence on the Net under any circumstances, there is nothing more unsafe than anybody having access to your personal info.

Message 4 of 138
Latest reply

Have you ever paid with a CC on the net - via paypal or direct to a merchant. Do you use online banking?

All registered financial organisations are required by Law to have a secure gateway in place (same as Adyen and Paypal before them) this ensures nothing untoward can happen. 

Message 5 of 138
Latest reply

Q: "Why are you interested in managed payments?"

A: Because I am being blackmailed.

Message 6 of 138
Latest reply

I will not be providing ebay with my drivers licence or any other personal ID. I will cancel my ebay account and use other online markets eg. Insta or FB. Having personal ID on the net is unsafe, no matter how secure organisations think their payment gateways are.

Message 7 of 138
Latest reply

What do you think paypal is ? or your bank ? You never pay your bills online ?

A financial entity requires proof of identification, and Adyen is the financial company that requires that same information and identification in order to protect you. Like all online payment platforms they use a secure gateway and is as safe as any bank or paypal.

By all means, use another platform, and see how you go getting paid or paying unless all items are available to only a local area for pick up/delivery and cash in hand.

Message 8 of 138
Latest reply

@helenku0 wrote:

I will not be providing ebay with my drivers licence or any other personal ID. I will cancel my ebay account and use other online markets eg. Insta or FB. Having personal ID on the net is unsafe, no matter how secure organisations think their payment gateways are.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no problem with giving bankcard details to eBay or PayPal. But that's as far as it goes. Photo ID or license should only be shown over the counter, not online. I hear what you say. I agree with what you say!

Message 9 of 138
Latest reply

@retrowise wrote:

I certainly didn't have to submit my driver's licence to Paypal. They verified my credit card, that was it.

I hear you need to provide d. licence, credit card and even bank balance but since I can't find any official info on this I can't confirm that. Feel free to provide the requirements in detail if you know what it takes. Personally I wouldn't put my D. licence on the Net under any circumstances, there is nothing more unsafe than anybody having access to your personal info.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Things are changing with PayPal. Last year (prob this year too)  people were having their PayPal accounts frozen. One person I know personally had their account frozen soon after a friend deposited money into it. It was only about a hundred dollars. Even before the restrictions to that account became official,  strange things were happening with the password consistently having to be re-set and funds that should have been used to pay for items were by-passed in favour of the credit card being used. So-called technical hitches.  (Yeah right!) This person doesn't want to give PayPal these very sensitive personal details (I agree) so the hundred or whatever is probably now lost.  Other people I know feel the same.

PayPal is not a bank. It's a conduit. A service! I've even heard it referred to as an online EFTPOS machine. Sensitive personal details and photo ID should only be given over the counter at a bank.  If PayPal wants this info, they should have physical offices / branches in every city and re-classify themselves.

You're right in what you say retrowise!

Message 10 of 138
Latest reply